CORELINE (D20 Modern/D20 BESM Setting).

kronos182

Adventurer
OK, question: we have "Outer Rim Area 51", a connection between the (neighboring) SW galaxy and our galaxy.

How it should look? "Classic" wormhole (think the one by Deep Space Nine), "Interstellar"-style wormhole, or just a whole lot of nothing--you just wander into a very specific patch of black on one spot of space and you appear on another?

Or maybe something like a nebula or the Badlands from Star Trek DS between the Cardassian & Bajoran areas (columns of plasma energy, lightning, space eddies, etc) ??

Technically speaking, that is what it is. Wormholes are spots where "A" and "B" meet, even if a billion light tears apart in reality, because of bent space.

Then again, my experience with wormhole theory is "Interstellar" and "Event Horizon" (they even use the same exposition with a bent piece of paper!). And "Negative Space Wedgies" sometimes don't get more explanation than "it's a space phenomena of some sort! That is threatening to kill us all!".

The reason for this was because I was thinking for a sec about whether or not to try to make some rules for potential "misjumps".

kronos182

Adventurer
Technically speaking, that is what it is. Wormholes are spots where "A" and "B" meet, even if a billion light tears apart in reality, because of bent space.

Then again, my experience with wormhole theory is "Interstellar" and "Event Horizon" (they even use the same exposition with a bent piece of paper!). And "Negative Space Wedgies" sometimes don't get more explanation than "it's a space phenomena of some sort! That is threatening to kill us all!".

The reason for this was because I was thinking for a sec about whether or not to try to make some rules for potential "misjumps".

I think I've seen some rules somewhere for something about misjumps... I'll look for those.

kronos182

Adventurer
A quick Gundam universe mech, the Zaku 04 (based on the prototype before the standard Zaku I MS-05 and Zaku II MS-06) used as a cheap alternative. Instead of stating a 100mm machine gun, I used a M-9 Barrage from RAW, just so it keeps within the stats used for Luna Titanium and Gundanium. It's cheap, no-frills, can be massed produced. The bonuses in the attacks/weapons is before the pilot's bonuses (based on size modifiers, targeting systems, stat modifiers, etc).

MS-04 Zaku 1

The first 'true' mobile suit produced by the Principality of Zeon in its original universe, the 04 is a prototype that all later Zakus were based on. Although considered obsolete competed to the Zaku 05 and 06s, it is produced now as a cheap alternative to the 05s and 06s. While not compatible with the later weapons available to later production Zakus, the MS-04 does have the advantage of a built in buckler which can be mounted on either arm, and can use most common production projectile weapons and non-powered melee weapons. It comes standard with a modified M-9 Barrage that uses magazines and a holster mounted on the shoulder, this allows the hands to be free when not in combat.
Standing at only 57.5 feet, and weighing about 57.5 tons, it isn't the largest of mobile suits, which does give it some other advantages that it may lack from technological means.

MS-04 Zaku
Size: Gargantuan (57.5 ft) (-4)
Bonus Hit Points: 400
Superstructure: High Grade Steel
Hardness: 8
Armour: Duralloy
Bonus to Defense: +4/+6 (+8 armour, -4 size, +2 shield)
Armour Penalty: -8
Reach: 15 ft
Strength Bonus: +24
Dexterity Penalty: -2
Speed: 40 ft (-10 ft armour)
Purchase DC: 42

Slots 11
Helmet Oracle Targeting System (+1)
Visor Class II Sensors
Cranium Space Skin
Back Deep Space Thrusters
Left arm Arm Shield
Left hand 1
Right arm 1
Right hand 1
Shoulder Life Support System
Shoulder 1 Modified M-9 holster
Torso Cockpit
Belt Zero-G Stabilizer
Left leg 2 M-9 ammo clips (400 rds)
Right leg 2 M-9 ammo clips clips
Boots 1
Comm System

Standard Package Features: Life support 24 hours, negates zero-g penalties
Bonuses: +2 Navigate, +2 Spot
Weapons: Modified M-9 Barrage, -4 attack, 5d6 ball, 20, 60 ft, S/A, 200 box, handheld
Slam +8 melee 2d8+12 blud, 20, 15 ft reach

Modified M-9 Barrage Chaingun
This is a modified M-9 Barrage that uses clips, like an infantry scaled weapon, to allow for quick reloading of the weapon in the heat of battle. Statistically it is identical, except it has Box Ammunition with 200 rounds, and is handheld, and stored in a holster on the shoulder or leg. An equipment slot dedicated to ammunition (usually belt, legs, shoulder, arm or torso) can hold two clips for a total of 400 rounds. This allows a user with the Quick Reload feat to reload the modified M-9 as a free action. Deals 5d6 damage
Equipment Slots: 1 (hand)
Activation: Attack
Range Increment: 60 ft
Target: Single target within 600 ft, or autofire
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Purchase DC: 21
Restriction: Res (+2)

Arm Shield
This is a scaled down version of the Bulwark tactical shield, a mech sized buckler that is attached to the mech's arm. It improves the mech's Defense by +2 shield bonus. However if the arm the shield is mounted on used to attack with, the bonus is negated for the rest of that round until the start of the next round.
Equipment Slots: 1, must be arm
Activation: None
Range Increment: Touch
Target: You
Duration: Persistent
Purchase DC: 2+ one-quarter the mech's base PDC
Restriction: None

Lord Zack

Explorer
Interesting. The MS-04 might have it's disadvantages compared to later mobile suits, but I expect that many people would settle for even a fairly weak mobile suit, if they couldn't get a better one. Who do you think manufactures them? Anaheim Electronics owns the rights to the Zaku and it's derivatives, but that wouldn't necessarily stop others from knocking it off. I imagine the Louizana Militia (from Turn A Gundam) might make use of these, sense they are only somewhat worse than the "Bojarnons" (effectively Zakus and Zaku IIs) they are already using. I might also expect many units to be equipped with some kind of bazooka like the latter Zakus, even if it isn't a standard weapon.

When I said Outer Rim Area 51 should be a region of space, I was talking about something the size of a sector (which could be dozens to tens of thousands of solar systems). So it would be an area of space that had elements from both galaxies like Starfleet outposts, Empire of the Hand bases, etc.

Last edited:

kronos182

Adventurer
Interesting. The MS-04 might have it's disadvantages compared to later mobile suits, but I expect that many people would settle for even a fairly weak mobile suit, if they couldn't get a better one. Who do you think manufactures them? Anaheim Electronics owns the rights to the Zaku and it's derivatives, but that wouldn't necessarily stop others from knocking it off. I imagine the Louizana Militia (from Turn A Gundam) might make use of these, sense they are only somewhat worse than the "Bojarnons" (effectively Zakus and Zaku IIs) they are already using. I might also expect many units to be equipped with some kind of bazooka like the latter Zakus, even if it isn't a standard weapon.

When I said Outer Rim Area 51 should be a region of space, I was talking about something the size of a sector (which could be dozens to tens of thousands of solar systems). So it would be an area of space that had elements from both galaxies like Starfleet outposts, Empire of the Hand bases, etc.

I'd imagine anyone who's an ally of the Principality of Zeon, or of the manufacture, as they could make money by leasing the production rights to the 04 to a few lower level companies/countries/nationalities/etc, or some companies might offer knock off versions from plans they've gotten through industrial espionage and the like. I'm working on the 05 and a few extra weapons (the bazooka I'm just going to take the RAW missiles and modify them a bit for a quick/cheap easy to stat weapon. And possibly the two variants for the 05 before I tackle the 06.

Lord Zack

Explorer
If Anaheim was producing it, they might sell the MS-04 to anyone with the money to purchase it, not just those associated with the Principality of Zeon. Thing is, after the One Year War, Anaheim absorbed the Zeonic, Zimmad and MIP companies that provided Zeon with mobile weapons, Zeonic being the producers of the Zaku. They even provided a successor of the Zaku- the RMS-106 Hizack to the Earth Federation and the Titans. They were going to turn around and provide the superior RMS-108 Marasai to the AEUG, but attention from the Titans forced them to provide the Marasai to them instead. Even if they wanted to reserve the MS-04 for Zeon and their affiliates they might then turn around and create a modified version (maybe something similar to the GM Camouf which was basically a Zeon-style mobile suit frame with armor that resembles that of a GM) for sale elsewhere. If they thought it was worth it they'd certainly license the plans to others.

I also thought of a variant of the MS-06, if you want to stat it out when you get there. It's called the MS-06FH Zaku Half Act, and it's meant to be an F-type Zaku customized with technology from the MS-11 Action Zaku, specifically the Magnetic Coating, which increases the reaction speed of the machine, as well as the MS-11's generator, allowing it to use beam weapons. It would be armed with the Hizack's beam saber and beam rifle (which you could probably use the stats of the Gundam's version of those weapons, once you have stated that). It would also use the Gelgoog's shield. Don't feel compelled to do so, but if you want to, go ahead and stat it out.

Keep in mind that the shells fired by the Zaku's Bazooka are not guided. This is due to the Minovsky Effect, which interferes with, among other things, radio communications. More information here: http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Gundam_Wiki:Technology#Minovsky_Physics

Last edited:

kronos182

Adventurer
The MS-05 and sniper variant. There were other "variants" but there wasn't much difference.. the command version had an extra shoulder dome and paint job (not really enough to make stat difference).

MS-05 Zaku I

The MS-05 Zaku I is considered obsolete, but still an effective and cheap mech, with improvements over the MS-04 in materials used, targeting systems and available weapons. There were also two variant models of the MS-05 produced: a sniper variant and a command version. The 05 saw improvements in the hands, including an induction connection to allow for powering the heat hawk/axe, although a shield was not included in the base model to save on weight and cost, it can make use of the 04's arm shield, or the 06's shoulder shield. The 05 is also compatible with many weapons later produced for other Zakus and mechs produced by the Principality of Zeon. It comes standard with a modified M-9 Barrage that uses magazines and a holster mounted on the shoulder, this allows the hands to be free when not in combat. Alternate weapons available are a bazooka, a mech sized shotgun, a heated axe and can carry grenades.
Standing at only 57.5 feet, and weighing about 50.3 tons, it isn't the largest of mobile suits, which does give it some other advantages that it may lack from technological means.

MS-05 Zaku I
Superstructure: Titanium Alloy
Hardness: 12
Bonus to Defense: +4 (+8 armour, -4 size)
Speed: 40 ft (-10 ft armour) 2000 ft space (4 squares)
Purchase DC: 42

Slots 11
Helmet Oracle Targeting System (+2)
Visor Class II Sensors
Cranium Space Skin
Back Deep Space Thrusters
Left arm 1
Left hand (1) Heat Hawk
Right arm 1
Right hand (1) Modified M-9
Shoulder 1 Modified M-9 holster
Torso Cockpit
Belt Zero-G Stabilizer
Left leg 2 M-9 ammo clips (400 rds)
Right leg 2 M-9 ammo clips clips
Boots 1
Comm System

Bonuses: +2 Navigate, +2 Spot
Weapons: Modified M-9 Barrage, -3 attack, 5d6 ball, 20, 60 ft, S/A, 200 box, handheld
Heat Hawk +8 melee

Modified M-9 Barrage Chaingun (PL5)
This is a modified M-9 Barrage that uses clips, like an infantry scaled weapon, to allow for quick reloading of the weapon in the heat of battle. Statistically it is identical, except it has Box Ammunition with 200 rounds, and is handheld, and stored in a holster on the shoulder or leg. An equipment slot dedicated to ammunition (usually belt, legs, shoulder, arm or torso) can hold two clips for a total of 400 rounds. This allows a user with the Quick Reload feat to reload the modified M-9 as a free action. Deals 5d6 damage
Equipment Slots: 1 (hand)
Range Increment: 60 ft
Target: Single target within 600 ft, or autofire
Purchase DC: 21
Restriction: Res (+2)

Heat Hawk (PL5/6)
The heat hawk is an axe weapon that can have its cutting surface superheated to allow it to cut through armour of mechs and ships. This weapon has become the standard melee weapon on Zeon mechs for many years. The heat hawk deals half slashing and half heat (fire) damage based on the size of the mech wielding it: Large 2d12, Huge 3d12, Gargantuan 4d12, Colossal 5d12. The heat hawk also ignores 5 points of hardness/DR.
Equipment Slots: 1 must be hand or arm
Range Increment: Touch/melee
Target: Single target within reach
Purchase DC: 10 + one quarter mech PDC
Restriction: Lic (+1)

Optional Weapons
The Zaku I MS-05 can make use of most Principality of Zeon mech weapons produced for other mechs, as long as they do not require a dedicated power source, such as beam weapons, unless they have independent power packs. Such weapons include knuckle shield, grenades, the shotgun used by the MS-18E Kampfer, etc.

280mm Bazooka
This is a single shot heavy missile weapon that can be used by most Zakus and other mechs produced by the Principality of Zeon. Although other users have adapted it for use by other mechs. Designed like a very large RPG-7, a large tube launcher that must be reloaded after each attack. Deals 10d8 points of fire damage to a 30 foot radius burst, and ignores 15 points of hardness/DR on the initial target hit. The bazooka itself only holds one round, and each equipment slot dedicated to ammunition holds 4 missiles. Takes a standard action to load the bazooka, which provokes an attack of opportunity. The Bazooka is inaccurate and suffers a further -2 to attack. It can be fired one handed, but suffers a further -2 to attack.
Equipment Slots: 1 hand held
Range Increment: 120 ft
Area: 30 ft radius burst
Target: Single target within 1200 ft
Saving Throw: Reflex DC 18 for half for target struck, 15 in blast radius
Purchase DC: 20 for launcher, 16 for 4 pack of rockets
Restriction: Mil (+3)

Variant Designs

Zaku I MS-05L Sniper Type
A variant of the MS-05 that is reequipped for sniping purposes. It can also be used for reconnaissance purposes with its enhanced sensors.
The head was redesigned with improved sensors, and includes a light projectile weapon that can be used against infantry or for defensive purposes such as shooting down missiles, or attacking lightly armoured sensors of other mechs. The Sniper mounts a special backpack unit that includes its space thruster, although with reduced power, and a secondary power source for powering an energy ranged weapon.

MS-05L Zaku I Sniper
Superstructure: Titanium Alloy
Hardness: 12
Bonus to Defense: +4 (+8 armour, -4 size)
Speed: 40 ft (-10 ft armour) 1500 ft space (3 squares)
Purchase DC: 47

Slots 11
Helmet Oracle Targeting System (+3)
Visor Class III Sensors
Cranium Vulcan Weapon
Back Deep Space Thrusters + Fusion Power Core
Left arm 1
Left hand 1
Right arm 1
Right hand (1) Beam Sniper Rifle
Shoulder 1
Torso Cockpit
Belt Zero-G Stabilizer
Left leg Knee Pad
Right leg Knee Pad
Boots Space Skin
Comm System

Bonuses: +2 Navigate, +2 Spot, darkvision 90 ft
Weapons: Beam Sniper Rifle -2 ranged 10d6 energy ignore 10, 19-20x3, 150 ft, S, unlimited*
Vulcan Weapon -2 ranged 4d10 ball, 20, 60 ft, S/A, 2000 rds

Beam Sniper Rifle
This energy weapon requires a dedicated energy source, which is the Zaku I MS-05L's modified deep space thruster back pack, which can be ejected in an emergency, but leaves the weapon useless. This energy weapon is highly accurate, long ranged and powerful, but if fired too rapidly, it can overheat and malfunction.
The Beam sniper rifle deals 10d6 of nonspecific energy, ignores 10 points of hardness/DR and critical 19-20x3.
Equipment Slots: 1 hand held, requires a power source
Range Increment: 120 ft
Target: Single target within 1200 ft
Purchase DC: 30

Vulcan Weapon
This weapon system is a rapid fire ballistic weapon used for anti infantry and can be used to attempt to shoot missiles, but usually a back up weapon. If used to shoot missiles, it has a 20% chance to shoot down missiles that attack the equipped mech, and uses 10 rounds of ammunition. Each time the system is used to shoot down missiles, it incurs a cumulative -1 to ranged attack rolls due to the head turning to bring the weapon to bear. As a weapon, it deals 3d8 points of ballistic damage.
Equipment Slots: 1
Activation: Attack or attack of opportunity
Range Increment: 70 ft
Target: Single target within 700 ft, or missile, or autofire
Saving Throw: none
Purchase DC: 25

Knee Pad
Mounted in the knees of the mech are a special set of hydraulic lifts, foot pad and gyros that allow the mech to lower to its knees for a better aiming position. This system allows the mech to raise from a prone or kneeling position as a free action that doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity.
Equipment Slots: 1, leg (can be used individually, or in pairs
Activation: Free action
Range Increment: None
Target: Self
Purchase DC: 12
Restriction: None

Remove ads