CORELINE (D20 Modern/D20 BESM Setting).

Lord Zack

Explorer
A mecha flight system the Tesla Drive. It's an advanced drive design derived from alien technology that allows flight without thrusters.

Tesla Drive (PL 8?)
This advanced piece of EOT (Extra-over Technology) was originally developed by the Tesla-Leicht Institute, but has since become very widespread. The Tesla Drive grants the mecha a fly speed of 100 ft (good).
Equipment Slots: 1
Activation: Free Action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Saving Throw: None.
Purchase DC: 12 + one-quarter the mecha’s purchase DC.
Restriction: None.

Last edited:

kronos182

Adventurer
A mecha flight system the Tesla Drive. It's an advanced drive design derived from alien technology that allows flight without thrusters.

Tesla Drive (PL 8?)
This advanced piece of EOT (Extra-over Technology) was originally developed by the Tesla-Leicht Institute, but has since become very widespread. The Tesla Drive grants the mecha a fly speed of 100 ft (good).
Equipment Slots: 1
Activation: Free Action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Saving Throw: None.
Purchase DC: 12 + one-quarter the mecha’s purchase DC.
Restriction: None.

I might bump up the price a bit more. Maybe have it take up an extra slot, since it's supposed to be pretty advance, although I'll have to compare it to other flight systems later after I get some sleep.

Lord Zack

Explorer
Well that's the thing, it's supposed to be relatively cheap and easy to produce. It's also going to be more expensive in most situations anyway due to it's higher tech level.

kronos182

Adventurer
Well that's the thing, it's supposed to be relatively cheap and easy to produce. It's also going to be more expensive in most situations anyway due to it's higher tech level.

Ah.. Ok.. I think I miss read part of your post.. as it was like 2 in the morning and I had just gotten home from work.

Lord Zack

Explorer
By the way... according to the d20 future rules on progress levels the limit on purchasing advanced tech is supposed to be one level higher than you're progress level, at +5 to Purchase DC, and I remember that most of Coreline is supposed to still be PL 5. Would you have to go to a higher PL area to get more advanced technology? Or are the rules different for Coreline?

kronos182

Adventurer
By the way... according to the d20 future rules on progress levels the limit on purchasing advanced tech is supposed to be one level higher than you're progress level, at +5 to Purchase DC, and I remember that most of Coreline is supposed to still be PL 5. Would you have to go to a higher PL area to get more advanced technology? Or are the rules different for Coreline?

I assume the rules are different as there is such a wide range of tech.
In my mind.. to get something like.. say a food replicator (Star Trek), in most areas would be difficult.. but go to a Federation owned area, would be fairly common.. so for purchasing, for common, non regulated material would be probably only +1 or +2 for each PL above, while restricted would easily be the +5, and no real limit to how many PLs you can go IF the tech is available.
So again with the example of the Star Trek replicator, which are more advanced versions of the fabricators (PL7) and Biofabricators (PL8).. so possible PL9 for a star trek replicator.. but it's such COMMON technology.. so it could be sold to anyone of PL 5, unless it messes with the Prime Directive. So if I'm from Earth, and the federation owns the moon, and depending on how much it costs to get to the moon, getting a replicator for my home (will all the restrictions they put on them to prevent them from making dangerous materials, weapons, etc) could cost only +2 higher.
MEANWHILE.. a humanitarian group could probably get industrial sized replicators to use for disaster relief work at cost or even -2 or -3 as a discount.

But ultimately it comes down to what marco says.. but I think it's how restricted the tech is within the universe, and how hard it is to get for you (distance/difficulty getting to where that tech is available) and that pesky law thing within your own universe/area.

kronos182

Adventurer
A couple of Starfleet shuttles, one from the era of the tv show Enterprise, and the other from the Original Series.

Shuttlepod
NX_shuttlepod.jpg
This craft is a small shuttlecraft operated by the United Earth's Starfleet, before the Federation was formed and Starfleet was expanded, in the 2150s to 2160s. These shuttles had a tapered body, with a bubble canopy near the front on top. On the sides near the rear are a pair of retractable wings that aid in atmospheric maneuvering. There were small hatches on each side midway, a top mounted hatch, which acted as an airlock and docking port for when docking to other ships, and a larger door at the rear between the impulse engines for quicker access while on a planet's surface. Inside, the pilot sat up front in the canopy with a swivel seat, with two seats behind the pilot, and two upholstered benches which can double as bunks, for 4 more passengers. Under the benches are storage compartments, usually for tools and a few personal items, along with some survival gear.
The shuttlepod carried fairly basic sensors to allow for basic scans of a planet, although more powerful specialty sensors could be fitted for specific missions. The pod had a ditanium hull with polarized hull plating and two light plasma cannons, which were really modified heavy infantry plasma weapons, and targeting systems. The shuttlepods can be modified to launch spatial charges like missiles, with up to 6 can be carried.

Starfleet considers these craft to be VERY outdated and don't produce them themselves, although the plans have been traded to some developing allies as an armed shuttle, and never sold to civilians due to their armed nature.

Shuttlepod (PL6)
Type: Ultralight
Subtype: Shuttle (orbital)
Size: Huge (-2)
Tactical Speed: 3500 ft
Defense: 8
Flat-Footed Defense:
Autopilot Defense: 9
Hardness: 15
Hit Dice: 3d20 (60 HP)
Initiative Modifier:
Pilot's Class Bonus:
Pilot's Dex Modifier:
Gunner's Attack Bonus:
Length:
Weight:
Targeting System Bonus: +1
Crew: 1
Passenger Capacity: 6
Cargo Capacity: 1000 lbs
Grapple Modifier:
Base PDC: 48
Restriction: Mil +3

Attack:
2 fire linked plasma weapons -1 ranged 7d10, 20, fire, 3000 ft.

Attack of Opportunity:

Standard PL(6) Design Spec: Agile Ships (+1 Dodge), Easy to Repair (Repair DC -4, -25% time), Swiss Army Tech
Engines: thrusters, ion engine
Armour: Ditanium
Defense Systems: autopilot, polarized hull plating
Sensors: Class I, targeting systems
Communications: Radio transceiver
Weapons: 2 plasma weapons
Grappling Systems: none

New Starship Equipment

Ditanium Alloy (PL5-6)
Ditanium alloy is an alloy that was used to replace titanium in the use in military craft and especially space craft as it had some inherent abilities to block some of the radiation encountered in space.
Hardness: 15
Base Purchase Modifier: 13 + one-half base purchase DC of the starship.

Polarized Hull Plating Defensive System
An early defensive system developed for Starfleet in the mid 2100s, before deflector shield technology, a ship would be fitted with hull plating relays that would polarize the hull, strengthening the hull and making it more resistant to damage. It also has the advantage of making the ship more difficult to lock onto with most grappling systems. Activating Polarized Hull Plating takes a standard action, granting +5 to the ships hardness, and as long as the system has power (50% chance of this power not being interrupted) and active before the ship reaches 0 hit points, increases the ship's destruction threshold by 50%, and the ship only loses 1 hit point every 2 rounds. Most ships will have a separate power supply just for this system. Unfortunately a ship can not run this system indefinitely, and can only remain running for a maximum of 30 minutes before requiring at least 10 minutes of being inactive.
PDC: 5 + one half base PDC of starship.

Spatial Charge Missile
Spatial charge missiles are explosives that fired into subspace to improve their explosive potential, and the precursor to photonic torpedoes, photon and eventually quantum torpedoes used by Starfleet currently. These missiles had variable yields, allowing for more controlled attacks, allowing the firer to lower the damage to disable, or to increase the area damaged, half the damage is fire and the other half is unspecific energy. At its lowest setting, the missile can do 3d8 to a single target, or deal this damage to a 500 ft square (on a planet 500 ft radius maximum), and can increase damage by 1 die up to a maximum of 8d8, but reduce the maximum radius by 100 ft per die increase. The damage can be to the maximum radius, or to a single target, in which case to a single target the weapon gains ignore hardness/damage +1/die over 3. So if damage is set to 4d8 and affects only a single target gains ignore hardness/Dr 2
Damage: varies
Damage Type: Fire/Energy
Range Increment: -
Rate of Fire: Single
Minimum Ship Size: Huge
Purchase DC: 28
Restriction: Mil (+3)

Federation Class F Shuttlecraft
Picasso.jpg
A standard issue shuttle aboard Starfleet ships and stations for interplanetary transportation when transporters were not usable. Originally deployed in the mid-23rd century, these shuttles are considered obsolete and used by many civilians or sold to developing FTL capable societies.
These shuttles had a duranium lined shell, shaped like a brick, with an angled front that had three windows that had retractable shutters to protect the pilot and passengers from bright lights or other anomalies. The sides had a short wing that ran the last two-thirds of the ship that supported the engine nacelles, and propelled by an ion/impulse engine. A door on each side in front of the wings allowed crew to enter or exit. The shuttles had fairly basic sensors installed as standard, but can easily mount more powerful and special sensors for different missions, and came with basic shields for defense but no weapons. Inside, the shuttle was divided into two sections, the larger forward section had seating for 7, including the pilot, and space for some cargo, and the rear smaller section was the engineering section, that allowed access to the engines and other systems. The seats can be easily removed to allow the ship to carry more cargo. The shuttle can easily enter and leave a planet's atmosphere to reach a ship or station in orbit, and travel between planets within a system. Usually carries enough fuel to travel across a Sol sized solar system twice.

In Coreline, after the 23 Hours, Starfleet and the Federation discovered a large number of these shuttles on starbases, colonies and on some starships. They at first used them to shuttle people and supplies to help maintain order in the ensuing chaos of some of their colonies and other areas of their territory was suddenly invaded by other factions, before everything settled down. Now, while the shuttles are considered obsolete and contain no real sensitive or secret technologies, many are sold in civilian markets and even to some new allies, as long as the Prime Directive isn't violated (the allies have to have developed FTL technology, or some equivalent, such as jump gates or stargates). A few small civilian shipyards within Federation space have licensing to produce more Class F shuttles and parts for them.

Class F Shuttle (PL6-7)
Type: Ultralight
Subtype: Shuttle (orbital)
Size: Huge (-2)
Tactical Speed: 3500
Defense: 8
Flat-Footed Defense:
Autopilot Defense: 9
Hardness: 20
Hit Dice: 4d20 (80 HP), 100 HP shields
Initiative Modifier:
Pilot's Class Bonus:
Pilot's Dex Modifier:
Gunner's Attack Bonus:
Length: 22.3 ft
Weight: 37,500 lbs
Targeting System Bonus: +0
Crew: 1
Passenger Capacity: 6
Cargo Capacity: 500-5000 lbs
Grapple Modifier:
Base PDC: 50, within Federation space or allies 40-45.
Restriction:

Attack:

Attack of Opportunity:

Standard PL(6-7) Design Spec: Agile Ships (+1 Dodge), Easy to Repair (Repair DC -4, -25% time), Swiss Army Tech, Shield Dependent
Engines: thrusters, ion engine
Armour: polymeric
Defense Systems: Shields, autopilot
Sensors: Class II
Communications: radio transceiver
Weapons: none
Grappling Systems: none

Last edited:

Well.... I knew about the details regarding Progress Levels such as the price range increase/decrease, but never thought about factoring them on my own stat work. I mean, this is a world where anything is possible to get on places like the Walmart because of how wide-spread it is, although I guess there's some limitations that are natural (like trying to get Phaser batteries on the middle of the Atacama Desert or fixing the same with ) that a GM can call when asking for rolls to be made.

That idea sounds good... the question then becomes things like how much is the Prime Directive enforced on the Core Timeline and how easy/hard it is to hack into a Replicator, and obviously what is the limit of the things to replicate stuff (like for example, food. Think I read someplace that what they did was to take a kind of neutral "base matter" and then modify it to become the food you requested--limitations being, for example, a kind of "blandness" to its taste because it always added, say, 0.3 grams of salt to the mix instead of whatever a chef would assume as "two spoonfuls". I suppose munitions like gunpowder can be replicated in large quantities but the more exotic things get (like anti-matter) the harder it becomes).

I have a friend that I have written some stuff with. I am going to ask him about a couple of details (I don't wish to discuss here because they involve stuff that is SIembeda's property) and come back to mention it.

BTW, obtained QuickLink Inc.'s "Traveller D20" books from the Bundle Of Holding website. It's probably too early to tell, really, I need to read stuff--but I guess now we can start discussing how the Traveller universe could be portrayed on the Core Timeline.

Although I know for a fact that different Traveller editions use different eras. So I guess we can also discuss which era would be the best to use as a basis for this addition (I guess the "Virus" Era won't be, with all the vitriol for it I have read on TV Tropes, though).

Remove ads