CORELINE (D20 Modern/D20 BESM Setting).

Would that be a special attachment for an R2 Unit or would that be Industrial Automaton creating a heavy work / combat droid and using the R2 head because, I don't know, it provides a good combination of a flexible main computer, sensors and a "friendly" visage?

Doc_Pippin

Explorer
Would that be a special attachment for an R2 Unit or would that be Industrial Automaton creating a heavy work / combat droid and using the R2 head because, I don't know, it provides a good combination of a flexible main computer, sensors and a "friendly" visage?

Likely either an astromech piloted walker style vehicle or an independent droid with an astromech socket

Doc_Pippin

Explorer
Like it could have basic capabilities without an R unit attached, operating as a basic labor droid or tanky front line battle droid on its own. With the R unit installed it could be a more intelligent combatant or complex labor droid. R2 units had a lot of versatility with many being specialized to certain tasks. If they were not being used to astro-navigate they could use the memory, processing capacity, and other hardware to just be super smart so combining a specialized R unit with a purpose built Strength/Durability body that had abandoned most of the space consuming hardware, memory, and processing power required to be even marginally intelligent needed for higher level functioning (Like not even a Heuristic Processor) in favor of higher strength output and thicker armor would be akin to the brainy Bruce Banner in the Hulkbuster armor. As for how it would work, the “Astro-Buster” body would wrap its arms around its knees while in a nearly seated squat to fully expose the back, which would then open up and allow the R unit to step in before separating the head which would be lifted up through the “neck” ring similar to how the Theed N series ships broke the R2 apart while loading it to allow for more control.

Attachments

• N-1.jpg
    N-1.jpg
    625.5 KB · Views: 294

Yeah, although also imagine an "Astro-Buster" that is like a giant toolbox.

As in, all of the crazy bunch of gizmos you see in every square inch of an R-2? Imagine a Hulkbuster frame with an even bigger bunch of gizmos. Or gizmos and secondary gizmos. Or gizmos and an absolutely immense ammo reserve (like a fire extinguisher - a frame that size has enough space for a reserve that it could be used for a riot control device).

Huh... what do you know? I always thought that the astromech was still in one piece inside of that fighter. Learn something every day.

Last edited:

Doc_Pippin

Explorer
While the decked-out tool kit sounds awesome the picture doesn’t fit that purpose though that could be its own cool variant version. For the purpose of maintenance or utility the humanoid frame is less than ideal, it isn’t as stable, and the legs cannot hold many gadgets because of the need to maintain structural strength. Additionally, the use of articulating humanoid-like hands would be inefficient and limiting if the frame included internal tools, when R2-D2 or BB-8 use a tool their round bodies lets them rotate as needed to reach the target and their small size allow for the mobility needed to achieve the goal, being limited to one direction of functionality and either the one tool carried or the limited tool selection built into the hands and forearms would make them bad mechanics and being too large to properly utilize the tools in the compact tech of the Star Wars universe would make them incredibly niche or just pointless when compared to other available options.

Several versions could exist in non-humanoid forms, such as an expansion package that gives an R2 unit an oversized ball body like a giant BB droid. That would allow for a huge number of new tools and gear while maintaining most of the R2’s original flexibility or a loosely connected trail of little duckling-esc orbs connected to the primary which could be swapped for whatever tool-orb is currently in use. The addition of fully humanoid legs also seems unneeded for a maintenance droid outside of incredibly specific terrains it would be better to use tracks, spheres, or repulsar lift if designed for utility. The use of legs would only benefit a warfighter as it could pass through the shields that normally stop repulsars (the reason the tanks didn’t drive through the gungan shields) and with magnetic locks and/or climbing claws it could would be a mobile weapons platform. The large legs would also add weapon stability and swinging power.

As is the suit would remove the use of the Astromech’s base tools and the bulk of the droid could no longer be used for utility, the large limbs would limit the torso’s functionality and the heavy lower limbs would limit the functionality of the upper limbs which would further be limited by the added armor sections. The only benefit the suit droid seems to gain from the R2 unit is the added mental abilities and programming, the R2’s sensor package, and the internal tools the R2 use for starfighter repair. This mimics the uses R2s bring to starfighters which makes sense, because outside of complimenting an existing war machine it would just make more sense to purpose build a ship or vehicle with a nav computer or redundant systems and avoid the droid altogether. The mobile toolbox role in Star Wars is also already taken by the WED Treadwell droids.

As for the picture we see pauldrons, bracers, and greaves specifically designed to protect against ranged attack and the outer most section of the bracers seems to be designed for melee blocking which indicates the purpose to be combat focused. The protecting of the back of the hands indicates both a disregard for full range of motion needed to repair and a need to protect against disarming, likely so the unit can utilize existing weapons systems such as an E-WEB repeating system or purpose-built melee weaponry. The dual openings on the front face of the bracers would indicate either wrist mounted blasters or retracting melee weapons, like lightsabers or vibroclaws, if these were designed to be tools they would use covers or doors like R2 and BB-8 do to reduce dust and particle build up but the open nature means that their use is very time sensitive and the time needed to open or close a hatch needs to be averted so they are likely weapon ports.

Doc_Pippin

Explorer
The Hulkbuster Stormtrooper armor... what could it be? Some Moff out there was playing "Dark Forces", saw the Mark-3 Dark Trooper and went "hold my beer"?

As for a stormtrooper version that is not far off from the Zero-G assault stormtroopers, the suit let them operate in space, attach to ships, rip open their hulls and act as a heavily armed and armored boarding party. They were actually amazingly useful.

Zero-G assault stormtrooper

Doc_Pippin

Explorer
Alrighty, I got a strange one for any stat masters out there. The tech of Ant Man, not just the various suits (Giant capable Ant Man, Yellowjacket, and the Wasp), but also the shrinkable buildings and vehicles, the throwable shrink and grow Pym particle disks, manipulate ants, and the microscopic and quantum shrinking stuff too.

I couldn't think of how to stat these exactly (especially the huge amount of shrinking that the suit and disks do) but a friend of mine wanted to run a marvel themed coreline game (I turned him onto it and now he is pumped) and one of his players loves ant-man so I said I would ask.

Also any help designing or talking out how to design the iron man mk. 85 (the nano one he has in endgame) would be helpful as I will likely be playing an Iron man successor character in his campaign as iron man is my favorite marvel character.

Last edited:

kronos182

Adventurer
Alrighty, I got a strange one for any stat masters out there. The tech of Ant Man, not just the various suits (Giant capable Ant Man, Yellowjacket, and the Wasp), but also the shrinkable buildings and vehicles, the throwable shrink and grow Pym particle disks, manipulate ants, and the microscopic and quantum shrinking stuff too.

I couldn't think of how to stat these exactly (especially the huge amount of shrinking that the suit and disks do) but a friend of mine wanted to run a marvel themed coreline game (I turned him onto it and now he is pumped) and one of his players loves ant-man so I said I would ask.

Also any help designing or talking out how to design the iron man mk. 85 (the nano one he has in endgame) would be helpful as I will likely be playing an Iron man successor character in his campaign as iron man is my favorite marvel character.

How soon would you need these for?
But off the top of my head.. Ant-Man.. If I remember correctly D&D 3.5 has spells for increasing and decreasing size, so the basic mechanics of shrinking & enlarging wouldn't be too hard, just have to modify it somewhat.
Controlling ants.. I can modify a control animal spell for insects, and make some modified trick rules for an ant swarm..

Endgame Iron Man suit? ooookay.. that'll take a bit.. I have a few ideas.. I'll have to research everything the suit does.. in the mean time I have a few suits based on iron man tech on my thread here but they are based on earlier suits, to give you a start for equipment so you aren't over powered at the start of the game :p

I'll have time this weekend to work on stuff better.

Remove ads