Cortex Prime - What are your ideas for custom made systems?

Aldarc

Legend
Is there a good summary or detailed review of Cortex? This is the first I've heard of it, and as a relentless tinkerer with systems, it sounds interesting, but my Google-fu is weak.
At its heart, Cortex is a roll and keep system where characters assemble a dice pool, often of different die types, from their applicable trait sets,* roll, and then add the two highest values. Players may also pick a die type from the roll - e.g., d12, d10, d8, etc. - to serve as the Effect/damage of the roll. The GM may use a static number for the opposition or roll the opposition pool from whatever resources they have available.

* Traits are one thing that make Cortex more difficult to pin down. Players typically have 3-4 prime sets. When assembling a dice pool, it's usually only one die from each set. The list of Traits vary a lot between games of Cortex: e.g., Values, Relationships, Skills, Attributes, Roles, Assets, etc. The only Trait that is consistent is Distinctions, which are much like Aspects in Fate in that they are three fictional descriptors of your character. Distinctions are each rated at d8, but players can downgrade their roll, if one of their Distinctions could work against them, from a d8 to a d4 to earn Plot Points that can be used in various ways.

Cortex is a classless and levelless system as well. Class-like dials and knobs exist, and character progression exists, but it's like Fate where the games are typically less Zero-to-20 Levels of Hero sort of deal. I believe that @angille's Mythikal utilizes class-like Disciplines, but I'm not sure how they work.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Is there a good summary or detailed review of Cortex? This is the first I've heard of it, and as a relentless tinkerer with systems, it sounds interesting, but my Google-fu is weak.
The basic rules are available on their website: Cortex Tabletop Roleplaying Game | Fandom Tabletop
They also made their Hammerheads game, based on the system available for free here: Cortex Tabletop Roleplaying Game | Fandom Tabletop

But if you want the full Handbook, which includes all the rules for building your system, as well as the two games in addition to Hammerheads (Eidolon Alpha and TRACE), you need to buy the book or online subscription. Note: unlike WotC and DnD Beyond, when you buy the Cortex Handbook, you get a redemption code for the on-line version. The book is just shelf candy for me. Really nice artwork. But I prefer reading and referencing the rules online. So much easier to search, navigate, and read on a laptop, smart phone, or tablet computer than it is to read the book or PDFs.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what other online resources they will release for it.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Cortex is a classless and levelless system as well. Class-like dials and knobs exist, and character progression exists, but it's like Fate where the games are typically less Zero-to-20 Levels of Hero sort of deal. I believe that @angille's Mythikal utilizes class-like Disciplines, but I'm not sure how they work.
That said, there are options in the handbook to build a class-based (archtypes) and XP-driven game. But I'm not so interested in recreating a D&D type game with Cortex. I'm currently smitten with the scene-based advancement where you log scenes that you can then use for call-backs when that experience is relevant to current test or you can "cash" them in for various types of enhancements to your character.

aramis erak

Legend
Cortex is a problem to look up, because it's three different engines... from essentially 2 design teams.

All the Cortex Systems use ratings in dice sizes, rather than fixed numbers. All use a resource called plot points.

Cortex classic is grab stat die and skill die, roll them and total, compare to a difficulty number. Hitpoints for damage, but otherwise fairly traditional. Games include Battlestar Galactica, Serenity, Sovereign Stone

Cortex Plus is a more narrativist design. Still ratings in dice... largely assumes rolling 3-10 dice of various sizes and picking which two are used for success, and one of the leftovers as a damage size in some flavors. All Cortex Plus games are heavily adapted cores with the following commonalities:
  • 3 Distinctions. Each is rated d8. You have the option, if a distinction would be negative, to use it as a d4, instead, and gain a plot point. (not true of Smallville)
  • two character defining abilities besides distinctions, ranging from d4 to d12
    • MHRP: Affiliation (d6 to d12), Powers (d4 to d12), specialties (skills, really) d6.
    • Firefly: Attributes, Skills, Specialties
    • Leverage: Attributes, Roles
    • Smallville: Values, Powers, Relationships
  • Assets: gear and such, usually d6, sometimes d8
  • Firefly has special abilities for distinctions and for signature assets. MHRP has them for power sets.
  • Standard pool assembly modes in each game; in all, plot points can be used to add extra dice
    • MHRP: the relevant Affiliation, one power from each power set, one distinction, one specialty, one asset. If opponent has damage, the current damage as well as a freebie
    • Firefly: 1Attribute, 1 skill, one specialty of that skill (if any), 1 distinction, 1 asset, 1 relevant scene condition, 1 relevant damage complication
    • Leverage: 1Attribute, 1 Role, 1 Distinction, 1 Asset.
    • Smallville: 1 value, 1 relationship, 1 asset
  • 1's on dice generate complications and provide plot points.

Cortex Prime is a toolkit... it's really seeming to be a second edition of the Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide... Cam has, however, streamlined several things, at least based upon the preview on the Cortex Prime website and for Masters of the Universe. There's enough there on the website to actually use as a quickplay in his "Hammerheads" setting - a pastiche of Thunderbirds Are Go! It very close to Cortex Plus, but just enough to trip one up. Still, assemble pool, pick 2 to count for success total, one for damage/effect size.

While I'm fond of Firefly, the streamlining of Cortex Prime is probably for the better.

If you want to see the "spotlight" (quick play preview): Cortex Tabletop Roleplaying Game | Fandom Tabletop

Cortex is a problem to look up, because it's three different engines... from essentially 2 design teams.

All the Cortex Systems use ratings in dice sizes, rather than fixed numbers. All use a resource called plot points.

Cortex classic is grab stat die and skill die, roll them and total, compare to a difficulty number. Hitpoints for damage, but otherwise fairly traditional. Games include Battlestar Galactica, Serenity, Sovereign Stone

Cortex Plus is a more narrativist design. Still ratings in dice... largely assumes rolling 3-10 dice of various sizes and picking which two are used for success, and one of the leftovers as a damage size in some flavors. All Cortex Plus games are heavily adapted cores with the following commonalities:
  • 3 Distinctions. Each is rated d8. You have the option, if a distinction would be negative, to use it as a d4, instead, and gain a plot point. (not true of Smallville)
  • two character defining abilities besides distinctions, ranging from d4 to d12
    • MHRP: Affiliation (d6 to d12), Powers (d4 to d12), specialties (skills, really) d6.
    • Firefly: Attributes, Skills, Specialties
    • Leverage: Attributes, Roles
    • Smallville: Values, Powers, Relationships
  • Assets: gear and such, usually d6, sometimes d8
  • Firefly has special abilities for distinctions and for signature assets. MHRP has them for power sets.
  • Standard pool assembly modes in each game; in all, plot points can be used to add extra dice
    • MHRP: the relevant Affiliation, one power from each power set, one distinction, one specialty, one asset. If opponent has damage, the current damage as well as a freebie
    • Firefly: 1Attribute, 1 skill, one specialty of that skill (if any), 1 distinction, 1 asset, 1 relevant scene condition, 1 relevant damage complication
    • Leverage: 1Attribute, 1 Role, 1 Distinction, 1 Asset.
    • Smallville: 1 value, 1 relationship, 1 asset
  • 1's on dice generate complications and provide plot points.

Cortex Prime is a toolkit... it's really seeming to be a second edition of the Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide... Cam has, however, streamlined several things, at least based upon the preview on the Cortex Prime website and for Masters of the Universe. There's enough there on the website to actually use as a quickplay in his "Hammerheads" setting - a pastiche of Thunderbirds Are Go! It very close to Cortex Plus, but just enough to trip one up. Still, assemble pool, pick 2 to count for success total, one for damage/effect size.

While I'm fond of Firefly, the streamlining of Cortex Prime is probably for the better.

If you want to see the "spotlight" (quick play preview): Cortex Tabletop Roleplaying Game | Fandom Tabletop

Thanks, that helped a lot!

aramis erak

Legend
Just got my unlock code for Cortex Prime. The book is sitting at home, waiting until I return from work abroad, but Fandom has done an excellent job making a highly readable, navigable, and searchable on-line version of the the Cortex Handbook. I am very impressed with the system and its flexibility to build nearly any kind of game you would like to run. The rules can be as light or as crunch as you like. I don't think it will suffer from the GURPS problem (you can play any theme of game but it still feels like GURPS) but only time playing will tell.

I'm interested in reading about games other Cortex Prime fans are building or thinking of build.
I'm considering use of it for a more fantasy version of Niven's Smoke Ring. Maybe others.
I am, however, more than a little miffed that the amazon-provision won't let me download the PDF I paid for. I can read it in the browser (only), or print it (but then I lose the internal linkages).

Aldarc

Legend
(2) Dark Crystal / Zelda: A mashup inspired by the Dark Crystal and Zelda. Off-brand elves (e.g, Hyrulians, Gelflings) questing in their magical, alien lands.

(3) Pirates of Dark Water: Not a straight-up conversion, but again something more inspired by the cartoon setting, plus probably Earthsea. Pirates on the fantastical high seas in an alien world.
Looking back on my docket list, I realized that there was some thematic overlap between #2 and #3, or the three media properties listed. Mainly, questing to stop the evil/dark/corruption that is spreading across the land. So for part of a Cortex Discord event, I decided to basically combine some of the core ideas of these into The Blighted Lands (WIP).

But I am thinking of designing it not as a overly detailed setting, but as a sketched generalized setting with open blanks where groups can plug-in-play certain features (e.g., heritages/races, BBEG, what's required to stop the Blight, etc.) at their own discretion.

aramis erak

Legend
I'm considering use of it for a more fantasy version of Niven's Smoke Ring. Maybe others.
I am, however, more than a little miffed that the amazon-provision won't let me download the PDF I paid for. I can read it in the browser (only), or print it (but then I lose the internal linkages).
I've started pulling together ideas on this one.

LoveNikki

Odd Cortex Prime System Builder
I use cortex prime to do a dress up and compete style game. It works extraordinarily well. And it only uses 3 prime sets, but is very playable and very much covers the flavor of the game its based on.

Remove ads