Cosmic Deity power levels in 5E...

Why not allow it an additional use of this action?
Normally a God of a certain tier (lesser, demi, etc) gets X uses of its Mythic trait.
Kraken's Soul (Mythic Trait, 2/ Short or Long Rest). If Panzuriel is reduced to 0 hit points and does not discorporate, it doesn’t die or fall unconscious. Instead, all conditions and effects Panzuriel is suffering end for it, it regains all of its hit points, and all of its abilities recharge.
*made by thirteenspades from Dave2008's 5e Updates thread.
If a God is in its realm, it gains an extra use.
Additionally, its Challenge Rating is increased by (I dunno, perhaps by 1 per divine rank, so an intermediate god (divine rank 3) would gain +3 CR in its realm. Note that Mythic does not effect CR.

Not sure I see the above as relevant.

1. If a God dies outside its home plane then it Discorporates back there as per usual.
2. Doubling Hit Points on the god's home plane pretty much duplicates the above as it is (yes I know it doesn't have the auto-recharge).

The alternative I am currently thinking is that on its Home Plane the deity is effectively treated as one status higher.

Luminous

Legend
Not sure I see the above as relevant.

1. If a God dies outside its home plane then it Discorporates back there as per usual.
2. Doubling Hit Points on the god's home plane pretty much duplicates the above as it is (yes I know it doesn't have the auto-recharge).

The alternative I am currently thinking is that on its Home Plane the deity is effectively treated as one status higher.
Just suggesting an alternative.

Killing an avatar is still a major step in defeating a god.

It certainly paints a big red target on the backs of those who do it. But I wouldn't necessarily say it's a major step in defeating the god itself OTHER THAN any deity with an Avatar is still technically 'alive' (in Avatar form and power though) even after being permanently killed on their home plane.

After all, killing Orcus' favored avatar (The Master) prevents Orcus from manifesting in the Prime Material for 666 years!

I am not sure who came up with that idea. In 1st Ed. a God whose physical form is defeated on a world is barred from that plane for 100 years. So I don't understand why defeating a God's Avatar would be more detrimental than defeating the God's physical form.

That could be some unique case where epic magic or rituals were cast to increase the period of banishment. which could be a cool spell idea.

Luminous

Legend
I am not sure who came up with that idea. In 1st Ed. a God whose physical form is defeated on a world is barred from that plane for 100 years. So I don't understand why defeating a God's Avatar would be more detrimental than defeating the God's physical form.

That could be some unique case where epic magic or rituals were cast to increase the period of banishment. which could be a cool spell idea.
That was the fluff from Rappan Athuk, for a particularly important avatar.

I don't think there is a single correct way of introducing Stats for Gods in 5E. Though personally I would lean towards more interaction than less (which suggests lower CRs* are more useful to a greater amount of campaigns).

*Provided each increase still gives a worthwhile boost over the previous.

Remove ads