Cosmic Deity power levels in 5E...

Hey all! :)

hope everybody is keeping well. I am working away on the new book. Progress is slow but steady. Got the 56th illustration from the artist today. So we are roughly about 70% or so on the art. But that's not what I wanted to talk about.

I got to see the Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse book (or rather a preview of it Mike O'Shea was discussing on Youtube). I have to say I was VERY underwhelmed by the high CR monsters in the book. I thought WotC were meant to be beefing these creatures up because all the feedback said they were weaksauce. Instead they all looked basically the same if not weaker.

...I guess someone might have to show them what epic monsters really look like. :giggle:

Did anyone else see the 'revised' monsters in that book and if so what did you think?

Similar to how you made the immortals bestiary will there be 3 different tiers of plot hooks for each of your monsters?

Howdy Akira buddy! :)

Yes I do have three tiers of plot hooks for every* monster with stats, plus LOADS of new ideas and surprises - wish I could spill the beans but better waiting until its almost finished.

*there is a swarm example that currently doesn't; because that monster does not have a full stat-block. Just me showing off the epic swarm rules...plus the swarm is part of another monster's mythic form...and its an existing monster from the Monster Manual (so I am being a bit delicate with the details and might have to change the name but you'll know what it is).

Get em Krusty!

Hey Beefy mate! :)

You have NO idea what's coming buddy. If you thought the 3.5E stuff was epic, this book is going to blow your trunks clean off! I'm going all in on this.

Obviously in true Krusty fashion I over-reached and did too many monsters (because I am just a bloody idiot; I can't help myself) so now the book is itself an epic behemoth and its still going to be a "few" months. But I'll get there...eventually.

Hello again Akira buddy! :)

Another thing I am curious about. Will it include cosmic tier challenges

The book has Overgods and worse.

The Challenge Rating spread is pretty good plus my CRs are about 20% lower than WotC's CRs (because I don't factor secondary abilities). So one of my CR 24 monsters would be CR 30 if WotC did something similar...although after seeing Monsters of the Multiverse my creatures might be even more deadly.

Obviously 5E doesn't have the benefit of an Epic Level Handbook so the existing roster of 'epic' monsters is a bit flimsy.

Just had a quick scan over the monster list and I think there are 25 ish tougher than anything WotC have done (WotC CR 30+) and about 20 ish (WotC CR 20-30) with around another 20 ish* below WotC CR 20 that are hero-deities, underlings, golems, minions and so forth.

*13 of those 20 are roughly on par with a hero-deity.

and have a DC assigned to them for skill checks?

Yes, however the 'flat' cap is DC 30. Although there are a few ways to laterally move around that cap.

dave2008

Legend
Hey all,

work continues on the book (albeit had a really slow week there due to real life stuff, mainly work). But I have been mulling over how beings of each divine status would convert to 5E.

If we parallel the current Deities officially detailed:

Demigods = CR 20-23
Lesser = CR 24-26
Inter = CR 27-29...or up to 30
Greater = CR 30-33...or up to 35
This seems off to me. Officially in 5e Tiamat is a lesser god and her official stats were CR 30. That has changed since Fizban's came out as her avatar in that book is a CR 30 mythic monster (think 2 CR 30 monsters). Since I assume a god is stronger than its avatar, then Tiamat, a lesser god, must be stronger than a CR 30 mythic monster. Not sure how far along you are with your book, but I think you need to revise your CRs up.

dave2008

Legend
Hey all! :)

hope everybody is keeping well. I am working away on the new book. Progress is slow but steady. Got the 56th illustration from the artist today. So we are roughly about 70% or so on the art. But that's not what I wanted to talk about.

I got to see the Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse book (or rather a preview of it Mike O'Shea was discussing on Youtube). I have to say I was VERY underwhelmed by the high CR monsters in the book. I thought WotC were meant to be beefing these creatures up because all the feedback said they were weaksauce. Instead they all looked basically the same if not weaker.

...I guess someone might have to show them what epic monsters really look like. :giggle:

Did anyone else see the 'revised' monsters in that book and if so what did you think?
I have not seen the monsters, but WotC trend has been to make high CR monsters not weaker, so I wasn't expecting them to get stronger.

dave2008

Legend
The Challenge Rating spread is pretty good plus my CRs are about 20% lower than WotC's CRs (because I don't factor secondary abilities). So one of my CR 24 monsters would be CR 30 if WotC did something similar...although after seeing Monsters of the Multiverse my creatures might be even more deadly.
Personally I think this is a bad idea, but I know from previous conversations with you that you will not change. I did something similar with my first batch of 5e epic monsters and it just created more confusion. I came to the realization that it is better to except what is provided and just raise the CR of my monsters. I understand it is to late to change, but I can't help but offer my 2 cents.

Remove ads