• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cost of starting your own business?

EverSoar

First Post
If you wanted to start your own business, how much would it cost.

Say a weapon shop business. Cost to setup, and run, and how much profit?

If any of you out there, have done anythign like this, could you give me some ideas?

Thalantor

First Post
40.000 Gp for the house.
50.000 Gp for the raw materials and equipment
1.2 million Gp for the magic items these guys always seem to have for buying magic items from the party. :D

EverSoar

First Post
ok,

it says, it costs 500gp to start a smith. I do that, hire a smith, how much do you think you can make a month, selling weapons?

Vaxalon

First Post
Did you give the smith a place to sleep? to eat? How about his wife?

Put together EVERYTHING the smith needs, and then apply an "income source" modifier to it.

Vaxalon

First Post
If a building makes money, you apply an extra 10% to the cost of the building, and you make 1% of its value every year.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
EverSoar said:
If any of you out there, have done anythign like this, could you give me some ideas?

The prices in the PHB are wacked, I'll tell you that much. They're pretty much accurate for an adventurer who walks into a town and says, "Ho there good merchant! I have 200 gold pieces and I want to spend it. How much are your wares?"

This isn't a big deal, but if you try for 100% accuracy you are going to have to have a lot of explaining and a lot of work to do. So don't feel bad if you have to fudge a lot of numbers.

EverSoar

First Post
So your telling me,

that it costs 500gp to make a smith, 30gp a month for a smith, and it makes 55gp a year?

thus running at a 340gp loss?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Yep. The prices are wacked.

But also consider that very few people in days of old were full-time weaponsmiths. There wasn't much demand for them compared to, say, horseshoes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads