Critical Role Could Critical Role launch their own RPG?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Well let’s avoid a pile on! Constructive criticism is great, but just endless moaning that they haven’t supported this or that pet project is just going to end badly. It’s way too easy to form social media hit squads!

These appear to be good people dealing with unexpected success and visibility, let’s not be an angry mob making unreasonable demands.
Well said. (I was just being facetious, I promise.) Whatever they are doing, it is clearly working.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Hm. On second thought...

I can already hear the internet comment section howling with outrage. "Oh sure, Tiny RPG Project...how much money did you have to give Critical Role to get them to say that? You guys are such sell-outs. And those guys in Kansas are roommates with the uncle of the cousin of the former paperboy of a wealthy oil baron, so they already have enough money" and so on, right down the toilet. And no matter which project they announce, it would be the wrong choice according to 99% of the Internet and would alienate more than it would unite. It's sad, but we really do eat our own.

You’re probably right and this is why we can’t have nice things...

I don't think they are supporting others in response to criticism. Matt Mercer has been plugging #FundDiverseGames on Twitter months before the Kickstarter went live, and the Critical Role show has been raising money for local charities for years.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe Critical Role should be above criticism...I don't think any public figure should be. And between you and me? I'm okay with it. If online criticism truly does motivate Critical Role to do even more great things for worthy causes, then let's pile it on.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a critic or detractor. I was just repeating what I saw (and argued against) and posting a link.
(Personally, I wanted to table flip after that hack job of a polygon article.)

The CR crew is doing a lot to signal boost gaming and do seem to be great human beings.

S'mon

Legend
The plan seems like a way to spend a lot of effort to turn a popular, money making show that they really enjoy being a part of into a less-popular show that makes less money and involves more work that they don't like, but allows them to say they're playing their own game instead of D&D. I really don't see why they'd opt to put in the effort to go from a large fortune to a small fortune, it just doesn't make sense on any level.

Harsh but fair!

When somebody is hated because has a lot of success has a name: tall poppies sindrome. But you don't worry when you soon recognize toxic people.

Today the market isn't ready for a third d20. Pathfinder appeared when D&D 4th Ed arrived but many would rather 3.5. And now the space should be the transition between medieval fantasy and modern age, knights vs pirates, armors vs gunpowder. To be a success should be an universal d20 where to can play different genres: gothic horror, space opera, superheroes, spies, WW II, far west, mechas vs kaijus. And d20 isn't ready for the right balance of power when enemies has got better weapons (only a shot with a bazooka to kill an ogre riding a dinosaur).

A third d20 game to be used by third party publishers would need to be a true universale genre. Maybe adding more abilities scores (astuteness, courage, technique, grace( = luck, karma, fate, divine blessing or curse).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a critic or detractor. I was just repeating what I saw (and argued against) and posting a link.
(Personally, I wanted to table flip after that hack job of a polygon article.)

The CR crew is doing a lot to signal boost gaming and do seem to be great human beings.
Heh. Yeah, that Polygon article made me groan so loudly that people were prairie-dogging over their cubicles here, asking me what I was reading. True story.

Thanks for clarifying; I was totally reading you wrong back there.

Dausuul

Legend
Nothing lasts forever. Start future-proofing early. And an RPG book isn't that big a hurdle.
So, in order to protect against the possibility that their relationship with WotC goes sour a few years down the road, they should trash it completely today?

There is a 5E SRD, and Pathfinder has demonstrated that if the current owner of the D&D franchise strays from the path, there is money to be made in keeping the flame alive. If Wizards goes down the 4E road again, there will be plenty of competition to create 5E-Pathfinder. Critical Role can then pick their favorite.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter

Attachments

• 603528638eb3da5c4db180efbab3f90d_original.png
    603528638eb3da5c4db180efbab3f90d_original.png
    484.9 KB · Views: 262

Remove ads