• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Could Tongues Work on an Ape?

Matita

First Post
So in a game I'm playing a friend of mine is playing a revised ranger and he has an animal companion in the form of an Ape (his name is Mongo and we all love Mongo very much.)

So much in fact we want to talk to him very very much. I'm playing a Wizard with the Tongues spell prepared so I was talking in a group chat with some of the other players and brought up how I wanted to talk to Mongo to get more of the characters backstory (as he's very secretive) the player was okay with this idea so it's all set next time we have down time in game I cast tongues and chat it up with Mongo, however another player made it very very apparent he doesn't feel the Tongues spell should work on animals.

I think it should as the spell doesn't state the creature needs to know any previous languages, and the 5th edition spell doesn't state it can't work on animals like it did in 3rd edition.

We play again in two weeks and I'm going to ask my DM and ultimately it's up to him but what do you guys think?
---
Here's the spell:

Tongues: 3rd Level Divination
Casting Time: 1 Action, Range: Touch
Components: V,M (Clay model of a Ziggurat), Duration: 1 hour

This spell grants the creature you touch the ability to understand any spoken language it hears. Moreover, when the target speaks, any creature that knows at least one language and can hear the target understands what it says.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I would say no. Animals can have very advanced communication systems, but I don't think I'd count the noises an ape makes as an actual spoken language.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
As written, yes it sounds like it would work, at least for the hearing part. I wouldn't say an ape can speak, so I don't know about that part.

At my table, I'd probably say the target needs to be able to understand at least one language to get the understanding benefit, and speak at least one language to get the speaking benefit.

But in general, speak with animals is only level 1, though the duration is shorter. I'd probably be happy to house rule an extended duration for a higher slot.

The spell says what it will do. The creature hears the words and understands them. So if it is willing it can do as you command (sit, stay, go over there, do this...). But, Ape's don't have a "language" therefore when it grunts and gestures, it is not speaking a language and therefore you do not know what it means.

Doesn't mean you couldn't use tongues over many weeks to work out a sign language, but that would be limited by it's intelligence and wisdom.

Satyrn

First Post
I don't think I'd allow it as a DM, but I'm not 100% sure.

As someone above said, speak with animals is an available option - maybe not for your character, and maybe not for your party, either, and that's where I'd waffle on my ruling, maybe allowing it if there was no one else who could gain a speak with animals type thing.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
The description of the ape's language and monster type in the Monster Manual guides me to rule against tongues and in favor of speak with animals.

I'd be interested in hearing a clarification on intent from Crawford.

Last edited:

Tallifer

Hero
Tarzan learned the language of the apes, who in his world had a complex culture. In my view, any fantasy world should take account of that. Up to the dungeon master. I certainly would not let rules stand in the way of such fun. But at the same time, I think the rules cannot in this situation be used to support your position. I just hope you dungeon master is cool with it.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Tarzan learned the language of the apes, who in his world had a complex culture. In my view, any fantasy world should take account of that. Up to the dungeon master. I certainly would not let rules stand in the way of such fun. But at the same time, I think the rules cannot in this situation be used to support your position. I just hope you dungeon master is cool with it.
Tarzan is certainly enjoyable, but, in the game of Dungeons & Dragons, an ape neither speaks nor understands any language.

Arilyn

Hero
It really depends on the nature of your fantasy world. In reality, Apes don't have the physical capability to speak. In a fantasy story? Depends. Does the campaign support that kind of whimsy? Or would it jar?
This seems like a decision which should be made by the group, although, ultimately you'll probably have to let your GM make the final decision.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads