Could We Have Four Million Dollar Kickstarters In The Next Month?

Million-dollar Kickstarters happen so frequently now that they aren't the epic news item they once were, but a month with potentially four of them is worth commenting on! Live right now (and launched at almost exactly the same time--MCDM slightly ahead of MCG) are Kickstarters from Matt Colville's MCDM and Monte Cook Games. Both hit a quarter million in the first hour...

Million-dollar Kickstarters happen so frequently now that they aren't the epic news item they once were, but a month with potentially four of them is worth commenting on!

Live right now (and launched at almost exactly the same time--MCDM slightly ahead of MCG) are Kickstarters from Matt Colville's MCDM and Monte Cook Games. Both hit a quarter million in the first hour.



Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 5.33.44 PM.png


Matt Colville's MCDM has run two successul million dollar campaigns (one at $2M+). While Monte Cook Games has not had a million-dollar campaign yet, they have a massive following and run multiple blockbuster Kickstarters every year. This could be their first million-dollar Kickstarter.

And coming soon are Free League (no stranger to blockbuster Kickstarters) with its Bladerunner Kickstarter on May 3rd which already has nearly 5,000 followers anticipating its launch, and Ghostfire Gaming, the Australian company involved with a whole range of million-dollar campaigns -- sometimes as publisher, sometimes as contributor -- with Arora, a dragon-ravaged post-apocalyptic setting. also coming in May.

Free League raised over $2M for its The One Ring Kickstarter last year. Ghostfire is behind the Grim Hollow series, which includes a million-dollar campaign, and was also involved with campaigns for Eldermancy's million-dollar Twisted Taverns book and Dungeon Dudes' million-dollar Dungeons of Drakkenheim campaign.



Will they all hit the million dollar mark? We'll find out over the next few weeks!
 

log in or register to remove this ad


log in or register to remove this ad





CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
James said there will be backerkit after the Kickstarter. Note I’m not an official channel for them.
I guess that's better than nothing. I was hoping for a way to support the project and help it meet its goals and stretch goals, but I don't mind buying the product after-the-fact.
 


CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
MCG burned me out on the Numenera KS. I bought into it, thinking that people would play it, and I simply forgot that I live in an area that 95% of the players are WoTC Zombies, and the other 5% are Paizozuzus.
It's so frustrating when people keep buying the games that they like, and keep playing them. Don't they know that there are dozens of other games out there that they might like? I want to grab them and yell, "You need to play something different!" but the store manager told me if it happened again I'd be banned.

All joking aside: I know how you feel. I know how frustrating it is to be the only one who wanted to play something new, when everyone else in my group wanted to keep playing D&D. I remember feeling like I was the only person in a hundred mile radius that was even interested in trying something new. It's not true, never was true, but that's certainly how it felt.

Love it or hate it, D&D 5E and Pathfinder are the two leading games in the TTRPG industry. So insulting the literal millions of people who prefer to play them really isn't a good look. And worse, it's not going to help you find what you're looking for. Instead, look around on Roll20 or FoundryVTT for some drop-in games that you can join. Check out the Gamers Seeking Gamers forum here on ENWorld and leave a message every month or two. Put a note on the bulletin board of your local game store. These things take time, but I'm confident you'll find what you're looking for.

But if your goal is to make people change their opinions about D&D/Pathfinder, you're on a fool's errand.

It took years--literally six and a half years--to get my group interested in playing a Call of Cthulhu game. But eventually, I got an opportunity to host a one-shot, and I pulled out all the stops, and now it's in our regular game rotation.
 
Last edited:



Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Top