D&D 5E Countering Dispel Magic

Halivar

First Post
Dispel Magic seems a lot more powerful in 5E, as it works on EVERY magical effect on an object or person, each one being rolled for with a pretty easy check. Even a level 9 spell is easily dispelled at level 5!

As a DM, how can Dispel Magic be blunted as a magic "I WIN" button? Not trying to be a RBDM, just trying to figure out how to keep Dispel Magic from being the go-to default spell to prep for every magical trap or encounter. The intention is to prevent too many anti-climaxes (a few are okay!) to keep tension high, the game challenging, and the evening fun.

Here's one idea: have monsters or traps, or some other danger polymorphed into something harmless in the spell effect area. Dispel Magic releases them. Or there's a magic "force" floor that dispels, dropping the party into a pit. These are some ideas, but I can't use them all the time.

What are some basic things an evil overlord would do to protect his macguffin from a party with an arsenal of Dispel Magic's?

Sadrik

First Post
Dispel magic is targeted (creature, object or effect) now and not area now. So those ideas do not work. I think the best way is to add in some sort of DC. How about just d20 + level it is cast at vs 10 + spell level. Do not take into account the caster level and caster stat. That is the simplest way to handle it at least.

I do agree with you though that the automatic nature of it does make D&D a lot less magical, that coupled with concentration rules, and I suppose Globe of Invulnerability to a lesser extent too.

I hope they go the 4e route with non magic buffs...

I cast dispel magic... sorry the warlord gave temp hp and an AC increase, so dispel does nothing to that...

Eejit

First Post
Make it a Contest. Opposed rolls + modifiers. Makes it less reliable at least and helps the over-CR'd Big Bad casters.

Xeterog

Explorer
since it's an ability check, there is no prof bonus applied..so the best a PC will normally get is +5 unless I'm missing something.

brehobit

Explorer
since it's an ability check, there is no prof bonus applied..so the best a PC will normally get is +5 unless I'm missing something.

I believe that's right, though an abjurer can add his prof. bonus if I recall correctly. Which seems reasonable really.

bganon

Explorer
As for objects: Nystul's Magic Aura can be used to make things seem nonmagical. Used sparingly, the PCs then have to decide whether to just cast Dispel Magic on every single damn thing or take on a bit of risk.

You could also have a multipart magical trap that includes a magical restraint holding back a nonmagical effect. So a chest is magically sealed, but also has spring-loaded poison shrapnel restrained by a tiny sphere of force. Dispel everything and the chest turns into a frag grenade. Also something you probably want to use sparingly.

For monsters, I guess I don't see much of a problem since many won't even have magical buffs, and when they do it's unlikely to be more than one or two that can easily be recast. If you're up against an NPC cleric/wizard or something, you're usually better off trying to disrupt their concentration and just kill them with damage rather than wasting your caster's turn doing nothing but Dispel. It's also not clear to me if Globe of Invulnerability can even be Dispelled, I'm not sure Prismatic Wall is affected either (except for the innermost wall).

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
There's also the matter of resources. A PC could opt to Dispel Magic on various effects – at the cost of being unable to use those spell slots for any other spell. Likewise, debuffing is a worthwhile contribution to combat, for example (freeing trapped allies, weakening a buffed opponent), but it will also generally reveal the caster as a worthwhile target for the enemy without having done actual damage the way that casting a different spell in that slot might have. As with all choices, casting of Dispel Magic – even with its continued utility (such that a Greater Dispel Magic isn't required on the list) – has both an opportunity cost and "real-world" consequences beyond just abstract calculations.

Remove ads