D&D 5E Making Dragons cool again: New Dragon Traits

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
@RoughCoronet0
Im surprised Animate Breath didn't make your list: it was a spell from a 3.5 draconomicon , where the dragon could transform its breath into an elemental. I always liked the imagery and free minion challenge, although it still runs into whatever elemental resistances the party has managed to assemble. Example: my party of dragon hunters will have 3 or 4 fire resistance spells/items in a party of 5.

the original spell was L7 and formed an elemental one size smaller than the dragon, with HD = to the damage the breath caused. but this could easily be tweaked to fit monster stats in 5e. for example creating an elemental with dragon CR-5
and lasting one minute.
I have a cr 13 dragon: a cr 5 elemental would have little impact in the fight. the party is L10, so I a cr 10+ elemental would be overwhelming
CR 8 fire elemental: AC 15 Hp 130 +7 to hit (2 attacks) 2d8+7 + ignite for 1d10 damage per round until doused, no save.
Firey form: 2d10 damage vs melee attackers or from passing through enemies.
cr 10'; +30 hp, +1 ac, +1 to hit, 4d8+12 damage.

Last edited:

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
@RoughCoronet0
Im surprised Animate Breath didn't make your list: it was a spell from a 3.5 draconomicon , where the dragon could transform its breath into an elemental. I always liked the imagery and free minion challenge, although it still runs into whatever elemental resistances the party has managed to assemble.
I knew I was forgetting one of the more well known Breath options. Yes, Animated breath is one I have considered for some of my dragons. Both those that summon regular animated breath elementals, ones that act like living spells, and even one’s with unique animated properties like 4e’s Orium Dragon and it’s vaporous serpent breath.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
one of my favourite bloggers has a few interesting dragons

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Another thing I have done is take certain spells and create actions/bonus actions for my dragons using the spells as a basis.

For example, all of my Red Dragons have a Fiery Stride bonus action that acts similar to the Ashardalon’s Stride spell. My Bronze and Blue Dragons have a Thunder Step-like teleport feature, and my Gray dragons have a Steel Wind Strike-like action where it teleports around and strikes at multiple enemies.

Remove ads