D&D 5E Counterspell check ?

guachi

Hero
I'll add to those disagreeing with Chris Perkins. Counterspell is a reaction. I see nothing in the rules that says you can't cast one if you also cast a spell as long as you still have your reaction available. Counterspell is somatic only so you'll need a free hand. If your original spell has no somatic components, you need one free hand. If it did have somatic components you'll need two hands - one for the original spell and one for counterspell.

The somatic component is, of course, flipping the bird. "The enemy wizard casts fireball" "HA! I counterspell him" "He flips you the bird. Roll a Dex save."

Jack99

Adventurer
Sorry, but it makes no sense for counterspell to work.

A reaction interrupts the other action - so in order for someone to be counterspelled, he must already be casting a spell, right? So tell me, how is he going to counter the counterspell? He is already casting one... Can't really cast two different spells at the same time..

Cheers

keterys

First Post
Can't really cast two different spells at the same time..
Because...? It certainly could be the case that there should be a rule to stop you from doing so, but there's no real difference between casting a spell, then using Shield to avoid an opportunity attack as you move, all on the same turn, and casting a spell and countering someone else's attempt to counter you at the same time.

The closest you can get is based on component restrictions. So make sure you have two free hands.

Reminds me of a cool casting game I used to play some years ago, where you carefully managed spell gestures in two hands at once in order to perform a variety of spells.

PnPgamer

Explorer
So thiw boils down to the fact that bonus action is the one restricting multiple castings.
action + bonus is possible if action is a cantrip
Action + reaction is possible, no restrictions
Bonus action + reaction is not possible, as bonus restricts and not a single cantrip is a reaction.
Is this correct?

A reaction interrupts the other action - so in order for someone to be counterspelled, he must already be casting a spell, right? So tell me, how is he going to counter the counterspell? He is already casting one... Can't really cast two different spells at the same time..
I think the reaction technically happens after the spell is cast.

If the enemy was in the middle of waving her arms around and chanting bad Latin, but you interrupt it by making one very quick gesture with just one phrase of bad Latin, then it wouldn't make sense for the enemy to counter-counter while trying to continue with the elaborate movements for the original spell.

If the enemy says a word or two and makes a quick gesture so the spell completes and flies toward its target, but you interrupt the spell by blasting it out of the sky with your own spell, then it makes perfect sense that she could counter-counter by shooting down your Counterspell.

keterys

First Post
So thiw boils down to the fact that bonus action is the one restricting multiple castings.
action + bonus is possible if action is a cantrip
Action + reaction is possible, no restrictions
Bonus action + reaction is not possible, as bonus restricts and not a single cantrip is a reaction.
Is this correct?

Yep, those are the restrictions for casting _on your turn_. But if there was a reaction cantrip, you'd be good to use both it and a bonus action.

Note that you can use any type of reaction spell when it's not your turn, even if you use a bonus action and cantrip on your turn. So you can do 3 spells a round no problem.

Jack99

Adventurer
I think the reaction technically happens after the spell is cast.

If the enemy was in the middle of waving her arms around and chanting bad Latin, but you interrupt it by making one very quick gesture with just one phrase of bad Latin, then it wouldn't make sense for the enemy to counter-counter while trying to continue with the elaborate movements for the original spell.

If the enemy says a word or two and makes a quick gesture so the spell completes and flies toward its target, but you interrupt the spell by blasting it out of the sky with your own spell, then it makes perfect sense that she could counter-counter by shooting down your Counterspell.

Makes sense if you look at it that way. Except that as far as I understand the rules in the PHB, the readied action take place after whatever action triggered it, while other reactions (usually) interrupt the action. In which case it would be difficult to cast the spell at the same time as you are already casting another spell..

Dausuul

Legend
Sorry, but it makes no sense for counterspell to work.

Cheers
I would say that reaction spells are designed to be castable in the middle of doing something else, even casting a second spell. It's a single gesture or word. With practice, you can work it in so that it doesn't interrupt another spell's casting.

Jack99

Adventurer
I would say that reaction spells are designed to be castable in the middle of doing something else, even casting a second spell. It's a single gesture or word. With practice, you can work it in so that it doesn't interrupt another spell's casting.

I guess it's possible. Guess I will just have to try and see what the table says and go from there.

Cheers

I think I'd rule with what Perkins thinks is an explicit rule, you don't get to cast 2 spells at once, so no countering a while you are casting the spell getting countered. It will keep folks from burning spell stacks too fast, which benefits the game overall.

Remove ads