D&D General Country size and population density of the Flanaess (Greyhawk)

S'mon

Legend
I think populations in the 1983 Greyhawk are about 1/5 where they should be; while the hexes should be 10 miles not 10 leagues to give something of European-esque scale. That would still give room for wilderness, but also allow for a medieval style economy and warfare.

Longetalos

Explorer
Thanks for your great insights. If you don't mind, I have taken the liberty of building off your work and adding some Folio/From the Ashes era population figures to the spreadsheet. I then used the data to color a population density map of the Flanaess. You can see the results on my blog: Greyhawk Facts: the Howling Emptiness of the Flanae
From what i recall, the population figures in the 1983 guide was for able-bodied. The LGG is the full population (which is why it has roughly a 5:1 factor).

As an aside, we want to upload a color density map of the Flanaess to Canonfire. Any chance we can work together to use your version(s) to avoid duplication?

Longetalos

Explorer
Taking into account multiple suggestions, I updated my Excel file to include another worksheet where the GM can "build up" the population figure of each country of the Flanaess. It can be done in two ways:
A) By selecting country factors that when combined provide a population density of the country -- which when multiplied by the area gives an updated overall population.
B) By selecting the % of the country the GM wants to be "tamed". It then assigns a number of acres per person (the default is 8, but it can be changed) and by reverse ratio figures out how many people live in the % tamed of the country.

The revised Excel sheet can be found here:

File name is: " Country surface areas and population densities of the Flanaess"

Remove ads