Create an O.L.D. Character

I am sort of wondering with the fact the starters are each quite specific you either need a lot more or make them less specific, like urban with enough in there to choose from beggar to rich guildsman.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I am sort of wondering with the fact the starters are each quite specific you either need a lot more or make them less specific, like urban with enough in there to choose from beggar to rich guildsman.

A potentially infinite number of variations.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
G possible that no elf will ever begin play out of adolescence while most ogres will be ready for retirement.
Personal note: I'd really have to be desperate to play a system that told me how old I was. I hated Traveller for that.

Sadly, I think this game may disappoint you! Still, better to be transparent about that in advance: the advancement system (which N.E.W. playtesters have seen) is based around the concept of taking a character through his entire life, revisiting him at different stages and careers. It won't be for everyone, but I feel it has something awesome to offer.

Last edited:

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Did another one. Strangely, his age turned out to be 30 -- which value is missing from the Ogre age table: (Adult ends at 29, Middle-aged starts at 31, so I simply took my choice.)

"Frotz Globnick is an observant 30 year old Ogre judge who makes models of crime-scenes."
STR 4, AGI 3, END 5, WIL 6, INT 7, CHA 4, GC 1, MAG 4, REP 2

Ogre skills: Hammer ("gavel"), Hardy, Intimidate
1. Acolyte, for Linguistics skill
2. Cleric, for "Divine Evil" spell(s) and for Leadership skill
3. Watchman, for Intuition skill (and his lone GC point)
4. Loremaster I, for Law skill
5. Loremaster II, for Bureaucracy skill

Personal Skill: Modeling crime-scenes
Specialty: Law

[Edit 1000 Posts. Woot!]

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Very cool! Which, if I'm not mistaken, makes your derived statistics as follows:

HEALTH [3d6 + 1d6 for hardy]
SPEED 5
CLIMB 3
JUMP 6'/4' (1/0)
DEFENSE 19
INITIATIVE 2d6
MENTAL DEFENSE 28
CARRY 110 lb
NATURAL DAMAGE 1d6
MAGIC POINTS 40 (max 4 on one spell)

Law x2, Linguistics, Leadership, Intuition, Bureaucracy, Hammer, Hardy, Intimidate

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Thanks! I still don't know what Frotz's chosen spell might do, though.

Waiting for next release. The last file I downloaded doesn't say how to derive Initiative or Magic Points.

Still working on "Yainey Yibnauer, Smallfolk Brewmaster" who likes riddles. I'm not sure where I 'm going with that one -- towards Barliman Butterburr (who was a human, after all) or The Gaffer or somebody else; and without a clear character concept, I'm wandering and getting little finalized. (I stole his given name from the Hobbits' mispronunciation of the Elvish "Yeni Unotime.")

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Waiting for next release. The last file I downloaded doesn't say how to derive Initiative or Magic Points.

Ah, yeah; those are in the Combat and Elements of Magic chapters respectively. I guess they should be noted in character generation, too!

MAGIC POINTS: 10 x MAGIC; max MP per spell is equal to MAGIC (modified by some tradition abilities though)

INITIATIVE: based on INTELLECT. It's a die roll (e.g. 3d6) so you note the die roll and roll that at the start of each combat. It's INT/2 (round down) +1. So with an INT of 7 it'd be 4d6, with an INT of 4 it's 3d6. Reactions or tactics skills both add 1d6 per rank.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
(changed his family name) :

"Yainey Longpockets is a precocious smallfolk brewmaster who likes riddles."
- [Age rolled up as 19, but the Smallfolk "Traits" list starts at age 20.]
STR 3, AGI 7, END 5, WIL 5, INT 7, CHA 4, GC 4, MAG 0

Smallfolk skills: Carousing, Farming, Appraisal
1. Farmhand, for Nature skill
2. Burglar (1d6 rolls 5, so no "Prison" term), for GC and Stealth skill
3. Ranger, for Herbalism skill
4. Herbalist I, for Brewing skill
5. Herbalist II, for ("Advanced?") Brewing skill

Personal Skill: Riddles
Specialty: Brewing

SKILLS: Appraisal, Brewing x3, Carousing, Farming, Herbalism, Nature, Riddles, Stealth

TRAIT: Precocious: He's too young to go adventuring.

HEALTH: 10 (rolled 5,4,1) -- Naturally regain 5 HEALTH daily
SPEED: 9
CLIMB: 5
JUMP: 14' long jump; 3' high jump
DEFENSE: 33 (3*7 AGI = 21; add 10 per formula; also add 2 per Race)
INITIATIVE: 12 [edit] 4d6
MENTAL DEFENSE: 25
CARRYING CAPACITY: 90
NATURAL DAMAGE: 4
MAGIC POINTS: 0
STARTING GC: 260 (rolled 4,4,3,2)

SMALL SIZE gives Defense +2 (included above) and Darkvision 60'
Burglar tradition gives +2d6 die bonus to see & hear things while sneaking
Ranger tradition gives +1d6 die bonus to attempts to track a target.
Herbalist tradition gives a herbalism kit, plus a signature herb, for which he chooses HOPS.

Narrative:
Yainey began going his own way quite young. The farm work made him tired, but he eventually started sneaking around on some of the feast days to burgle his neighbors. They never caught him at it because he never took enough to notice from any one place -- largely because none of his neighbors in the farming village were well-off at all. He later tried to support himself by ranging farther from his home village and supplementing his diet by living off the land, killing game with snares and the occasional well-aimed sling stone, but subsisting mostly on the roots and herbs that he could recognize from a childhood spent on the land. His interest in Carousing led him back to civilization again, and into the brewing profession. However, his home village has little use for a burgeoning talent such as his, so he now seeks wider (and richer) markets for his casked creations.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I love it! Is the process fun, easy, frustrating, tedious? What would your general impression be? Dies the idea of more careers and races something you'd anticipate?

One thing I noticed - for initiative you just note the die roll type. You don't actually roll it. So if it's 4d6 you write "4d6". Then, every time you roll initiative, you roll 4d6.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Re: Initiative not being pre-rolled: ah, that makes more sense. Noted.

The process is fun for me -- as witness the fact that I have already built three O.L.D. characters for this thread. It does still feel awkward; but that's probably because it's relatively new to me.

I did find it strange that the ages don't fit all the races equally well: many elves and smallfolk will be starting out adventuring prior to reaching adolescence, because the ages mean different things to different races.

I understand that it's a work in progress. Are there going to be more options of "number of traditions to take" to boost ages where needed -- or would that throw off the attribute levels? Maybe you could insert the ability of a character to increase the duration of the Starter tradition to fit the race; that way, you would have fewer adventuring children among the longer-lived races. (Like 3d6+9 for smallfolk or 5d6+12 for elves?)

Remove ads