Create an O.L.D. Character

mlund

First Post
What's the deal with some of the Traditions having this +1 or +2 CR stat? I didn't pick up that stat anywhere. Is it supposed to be CHA instead?

Also, how are you supposed to take Burglar? There's no Street Thug tradition.

- Marty Lund

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What's the deal with some of the Traditions having this +1 or +2 CR stat? I didn't pick up that stat anywhere. Is it supposed to be CHA instead?

Ah, those should read GC. I have CR stuck in my head from writing N.E.W.!

Also, how are you supposed to take Burglar? There's no Street Thug tradition.

Ignore that. I do plan to add the Street Thug, but Burglar should not have that requirement. Otherwise Bilbo would not be able to be one!

mlund

First Post
Remora LeTreya is an attractive 20 year old human spy who enjoys toying with people's emotions - at least when she doesn't need them dead.

STR 3, AGI 6, END 3, WIL 3, INT 7, CHA 6, REP 4
GC +7 +1000 Gold

Carrier Path: Noble to age 10, Minstrel to age 12, Ranger to age 13, Assassin for the last 7 years
Skills: Flirtation, Bluffing (x2 due to specialty), Linguistics, Acting, Stealth, Ranged Weapon x2
Specialty: Bluffing
Age Trait: Inquisitive
Trait: Attractive

- Marty Lund

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Update: I have changed my necromancer Mauntrog to have 3 skills from race but only one per tradition level; also, the skills now specify which "Lore" and which "Melee weapon."
[Skills Count: Race => 3, 5 traditions => 5, Personal => 1, and Specialty => 1, for a total of 10 for a starting character. I hope that's right, now.]

Speaking of Bilbo: what would his Starter tradition be? I would almost think "Noble" because of the money and linguistics; but would he call himself that -- or would he call himself something like "Gentry" or "Landed?" [Edit: Pippin's father had a noble title: "Thane of the Shire." Was that the only noble title in the Shire?]

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Update: I have changed my necromancer Mauntrog to have 3 skills from race but only one per tradition level; also, the skills now specify which "Lore" and which "Melee weapon."
[Skills Count: Race => 3, 5 traditions => 5, Personal => 1, and Specialty => 1, for a total of 10 for a starting character. I hope that's right, now.]

Speaking of Bilbo: what would his Starter tradition be? I would almost think "Noble" because of the money and linguistics; but would he call himself that -- or would he call himself something like "Gentry" or "Landed?" [Edit: Pippin's father had a noble title: "Thane of the Shire." Was that the only noble title in the Shire?]

Maybe a "Homesteader" starter is needed? I guess the closest is Farmhand, but that doesn't really fit Bilbo.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
"Mauntrog Cowrley is a resilient 35 year old human necromancer who dances alone."
STR 4, AGI 4, END 4, WIL 7, INT 4, CHA 7, GC 1, MAG 7

Human skills: Crafting, History, and Religion
1. Wizard's Apprentice, for Hypnotism skill
2. Man-at-Arms, for Melee weapon (Sword); and he has a sword.
3. Cleric I, for Undead spell list and Religion skill.
4. Cleric II, for Summon spell list and Divination skill.
5. Necromancer, for Death spell list and Summoning skill.

Personal Skill: Performance (Dance)
Specialty: Religion

In the current document, only Pages and Knights know anybody? They are the wealthy traditions; that may be what it takes to get connected.

Also, I couldn't create a mage because that class wasn't there.

[Edit: Corrected the skills: Take 3 for race, but only one per Tradition; also, list the subcategories of Lore instead of the word "Lore"; and specify a Melee weapon.

Cool. A few notes (I definitely need to add a lot more explanatory text to the final version!); are you using the current version, BTW? The Mage is there if you prefer it to Cleric.

• Crafting is a category like Lore etc., not a single skill. So you'll need to select one from the list.
  • The spell lists are all wrong - a spell list is a VERB-NOUN. I know it's a pain doing this without the spell chapter, but the current document I separated out the verbs and nouns (actions and effects, as they're called) so you can form a spell list each time.
  • Your divination skill won't help you without a divination spell list. The magical skills operate as +1d6 bonuses to caster checks for specific spell actions.

Last edited:

Storminator

First Post

I think Thane and Mayor are the only real titles, tho Frodo, Merry, and Pippin were all from the same upper class. Sam was the odd man out - a commoner.

I liked how the burglar could land you in jail. Seems like it ought to have the possibility of an extra Gold Coin or two tho.

The PC I rolled up was Urchin -> Watchman -> Burglar -> Gladiator -> Watchman

With the idea that he got a lucky break into his first watchman gig, but gambled his way into debt and took up burglary to make ends meet. Then he got arrested and tossed into the arena, fought and earned his freedom, then went back into the watch.

I like that you can build a whole story for your background pretty quickly and easily.

PS

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Gan is a devilishly-handsome 25 year old human burglar who loves beating impossible odds.
STR 4 AGI 6 END 5 INT 6 WILL 3 CHA 4 MAG 0 GC 1
Running, Gaming, Climbing
Urchin - +14 years
Thievery
Burglar +4 years
Thievery
Burglar +1 Year
Stealth
Caught
Man at arms +6 years
Melee Weapon

Burglar II ability
Adaptive
Personal Skill: Scrounging
Specialization Skill: Thievery
Trait: Attractive

Gan's situation for many years was a 'gotta eat to live, gotta steal to eat', until he got so good at it that it became a profession - until he was caught and brought before the council of justice. As their city was at war with another, he was given the option 'serve or die'. He happily traded a crowbar for a sword and learned how to make people dead for a number of years until he could desert and make another life for himself as a roguish bodyguard in the campaign city.

It's pre-alpha stage notes, so I'm only pointing out some significant holes as pertained to my chargen experience.
Pertaining to the earlier comment on the number of starting skills: There are several more instances of things like that which do not agree, or are not stated, or it's just not clear. But: pre-alpha.

I’ll assume the ages in the starter professions are, once rolled, your starting age. Nothing mentions your starting age except that you have one.

For a game where age is apparently so important, the starting age and classes being the same for each race is a little weird. It's very possible that no elf will ever begin play out of adolescence while most ogres will be ready for retirement.
Personal note: I'd really have to be desperate to play a system that told me how old I was. I hated Traveller for that.
The word ‘background’ and ‘tradition’ is apparently interchangeable.
The whole 'ALL CAPS SKILL' thing within the regular text areas has to die now before it has a chance to spread.
There is no Street Thug background to enter Burglar
There still is no Prison background so I said 'they gave him the option of being hung or joining the military'
Burglar and Gladiator still says 'Cr +1' without ever mentioning what 'Cr' is.

Last edited:

Remove ads