Level Up (A5E) Create or destroy Water creates nonpotable water. Does purify food and drink make that water potable?

Faolyn

(she/her)
Purify food and drink says it removes disease and poison from Supply, but I don't know what makes the created water non-potable.

I'd be fine at saying yes, because you're spending two spell slots to make drinking water and that seems like a fair trade to me, but I'm interested in what other people think.

Davies

Legend
Purify food and drink says it removes disease and poison from Supply, but I don't know what makes the created water non-potable.

I'd be fine at saying yes, because you're spending two spell slots to make drinking water and that seems like a fair trade to me, but I'm interested in what other people think.
I would say no on the basis that whatever is making the water non-potable -- salt, or possibly silt -- is not a poison or a disease, just a natural contaminant that makes the water dangerous to drink.

Semi-ninja'd.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Supply is only created when something says it is.
I agree, but there's a weird space. A deer or a rabbit isn't Supply, but I doubt you'd argue that it can't be turned into a few Supply. Likewise, create and destroy water doesn't create Supply but--like finding a well or river--you can potentially get Supply out of it. (I do wish there were some general rules as to how much Supply you can get out of an animal--I know there's Hunt & Gather but I wouldn't mind something a touch crunchier.)

If the created water is salt water or magically "dead," and that's why it's non-potable, that's perfectly cool--I'm not trying to use create water to get around Supply.

....Although I can see a rare version of purify water that does in fact desalinate salt water.

xiphumor

Legend
I agree, but there's a weird space. A deer or a rabbit isn't Supply, but I doubt you'd argue that it can't be turned into a few Supply. Likewise, create and destroy water doesn't create Supply but--like finding a well or river--you can potentially get Supply out of it. (I do wish there were some general rules as to how much Supply you can get out of an animal--I know there's Hunt & Gather but I wouldn't mind something a touch crunchier.)

If the created water is salt water or magically "dead," and that's why it's non-potable, that's perfectly cool--I'm not trying to use create water to get around Supply.

....Although I can see a rare version of purify water that does in fact desalinate salt water.
The A5e create or destroy water actually does have an option to create supply.

Ondath

Hero
The A5e create or destroy water actually does have an option to create supply.
Does it? Looking at the website, I can't seem to find it.

Create Food and Water does create Supply, though. I think we can try to extrapolate something from this. The design intent seems to have been that a 3rd-level spell could only get a day's Supply for 3 PCs. The problem with the create water + purify water combo is that purify food and water is a ritual spell - meaning it can be cast without expending any resources. So I don't think it's fair for a 1st-level spell and a 1st-level ritual to do half the work of a 3rd-level spell. If I were in a logistics-heavy game, I wouldn't allow it. But if I'm in a game where the players don't like fretting over Supplies, then this seems fine, but then I probably wouldn't be too stringent on securing Supplies in the first place.

xiphumor

Legend

Attachments

• 8D4236D3-DB86-49CC-81D0-9B4C04EAE4E0.jpeg
    8D4236D3-DB86-49CC-81D0-9B4C04EAE4E0.jpeg
    512.4 KB · Views: 75

Remove ads