D&D 5E Created Ooze boss would like some feed back on it thoughts critiscims welcomed

Nightbeat84

Explorer
Very nice.

Its CR is a bit low though, although you first think it be a bit squishy bec. of AC14, the whole list of immunities and resistances plus its dissolving attacks make it highly dangerous. I suggest CR15-16 for it.

You can use this one as a solo mob.
I suggest that magic weapons and armor are not afflicted by its destructive attacks.

You should do the following also: Lower its AC to 10 but up its HP to 800-1000 or so.
Make the party hit with every melee or ranged weapon attack and watch their horror as the thing still does not get down :p.

Also alter darkvision to tremorsense, it has no vision in a common way. That would also make it quite immune to sneak attacks.

Also give it a weakness, I suggest cold.

Edit: also leave out the psionic/spell attacks, give it the possibility to communicate psionically if you want RP around it. A thing like this does not need magic to enhance its attack capabilities.
hmm I think giving it a weakness might not be a bad idea also I'm thinking of removing some of its statues immunities such as stunned, charmed and blinded. Some parts of the model I have painted more eyes on it so maybe give it advantage vs being blinded on the save?

Nightbeat84

Explorer
If anyone has any ideas based on the model I posted on what to do with he's smaller hands or cool abilities vs just giving him magic which looking back is the easiest way to more layers but just doing abilities seems more memorable then jus casting spells
Thank you in advance

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
If anyone has any ideas based on the model I posted on what to do with he's smaller hands or cool abilities vs just giving him magic which looking back is the easiest way to more layers but just doing abilities seems more memorable then jus casting spells
Thank you in advance

Your PCs are around level 12 I'm assuming? If this is the boss I would say that the HP you've got is the Max HP not average - (I always max the HP of my bosses to give them staying power to be a real threat).

The hands look like they're wanting to grab PCs so I would replace your Slam attack with a "Grasping Hand" attack that can grab a PC and grapple them inflicting acid damage on a successful attack (and inflicting acid damage on the start of the PCs turn) Max of 2 PCs can be grappled in this way. The Ooze can also "Stuff" a grappled creature into its "stomach" freeing up a hand to grasp another PC.

But, as Ad Hoc notes, really check your numbers to make sure this thing is going to deliver the threat level you desire.

I would also suggest that this creature emerges from the dead remains of the Pudding King.

As far as Blingdenstone goes I was sorely disappointed that the cool iridescent palace thing had absolutely nothing of interest in it. When I ran it, I moved the Pudding King's throne room into the iridescent sphere palace - much more memorable.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I should have mention the web based program that I use when you put he CR up higher hes profiancy goes up which I dint want. So you are correct he is definitely not a cr 12 monster also the minions will only have 1 hp i pilfer the minion rule from 4th edition. They will have all there stats but only require 1 hit to kill them. Nust for action economy reason and to be annoying to spell casters in the back row

I didn't even factor the minions into the CR 23 calculation.

Garos is going to destroy the party. He's going to take out 2 PCs/round. His average damage is 200/rd.

How are they dealing an average of 133dmg/rd? Keep in mind by the time they fight him they're going to have faced a few fights at least. And then even if a party of level 8 characters unloads onto a monster they're still going to miss sometimes (and Garos has magic resistance and legendary resistance too).

I also suggest against altering the difficulty of things as you go too. If you're going to do that you don't even really need stats. You're basically writing a story. Have a monster appear as a threat and then just as the monster is about to kill the PCs have it die. It seems like a good way to make things exciting but I think it cheapens the game. The PCs should win or lose on their own merits.

dave2008

Legend
This thing is seriously tough for 8th level PCs. It has high HP + regeneration + a ton of resistances and immunities. Spell casters are basically screwed and martials don't fair much better. On the flip side, it is dishing out at least 180 HP of damage per round. Not sure how many PCs you've got, but if this thing is played straight up I think it is going to mow through your group. Maybe they can out run it?

Personally, unless you are looking for a TPK or you want them to run away, this ooze is to much for 8th lvl group. Maybe a range heavy group with magic weapons could take it on.

Quickleaf

Legend
First off, I love your model. That thing is utterly terrifying. Bravo!

@ad_hoc is totally right. This is too strong for an 8th-level party. Frankly, you took a somewhat comical CR 4 monster and you turned it into something rivaling the power of Jubilex itself! I strongly recommend you reduce this monster's power, both defensively and offensively, such that its CR is about 12 or 13. That should give you the tense dramatic fight feel you're aiming for without obliterating the PCs.

I'm going to run the numbers to evaluate its approximate Challenge Rating using DMG page 274, assuming you're removing the slashing damage immunity, and that your target CR is in the 11-16 range (a serious threat to your 8th level party, but not impossible)...

Defensive CR 24
Effective HP = ((312 + (3 * 20) regen )) * 1.25 resistances + (3 * 30) legendary resistances = 555
Effective AC = 14 + 2 saves + 2 magic resist = 18

555 effective HP puts it at defensive CR 24, and 18 effective AC is about right.

Note: I did not account for it using the Blur spell nor the damage-reducing aspect of Corrosive Form, which could conceivably boost its AC by maybe another 2-4, though accounting for that in the maths is more complicated than I had energy for. However, the damage resistance multiplier for a CR 24 should be negligible (i.e. x1), making its effective HP more like 462, which would make its defensive CR more like 22. With monster maths, you can really exhaust yourself trying to figure this out, so I just called these two competing factors a wash. If your 8th-level party is extremely well-equipped with magic weapons, then you could assume your current version of Garos is more like a total CR 20 creature. Still way overpowered.

Offensive CR 20
DPR = 5 lair action (green slime, single-round damage) + (2 * 36) two slams + 10 mind thrust + (2 * 14) two legendary actions: slams + (2 * 4) corrosive form = 123
Effective Attack = +10 +1 corrosive aspect of its slam reducing AC = +11

123 damage puts it at offensive CR 20, and its attack bonus is about right for that CR.

Total CR 22
Taking the average = (24 + 20) / 2 = 22

By way of comparison, Jubilex is CR 23.

Nightbeat84

Explorer
Your PCs are around level 12 I'm assuming? If this is the boss I would say that the HP you've got is the Max HP not average - (I always max the HP of my bosses to give them staying power to be a real threat).

The hands look like they're wanting to grab PCs so I would replace your Slam attack with a "Grasping Hand" attack that can grab a PC and grapple them inflicting acid damage on a successful attack (and inflicting acid damage on the start of the PCs turn) Max of 2 PCs can be grappled in this way. The Ooze can also "Stuff" a grappled creature into its "stomach" freeing up a hand to grasp another PC.

But, as Ad Hoc notes, really check your numbers to make sure this thing is going to deliver the threat level you desire.

I would also suggest that this creature emerges from the dead remains of the Pudding King.

As far as Blingdenstone goes I was sorely disappointed that the cool iridescent palace thing had absolutely nothing of interest in it. When I ran it, I moved the Pudding King's throne room into the iridescent sphere palace - much more memorable.
They are currently level 8. I do plan to have the pudding king in he's gnome form initially until a PC hits him and have him fall dead then as the PC's think they have defeated him he's true form emerges from the gnome body and then resume combat just to mess with them. Grasping Hand attack sounds good. Would the attack do some bludgeon damage or just a straight grab and stuff k
First off, I love your model. That thing is utterly terrifying. Bravo!

@ad_hoc is totally right. This is too strong for an 8th-level party. Frankly, you took a somewhat comical CR 4 monster and you turned it into something rivaling the power of Jubilex itself! I strongly recommend you reduce this monster's power, both defensively and offensively, such that its CR is about 12 or 13. That should give you the tense dramatic fight feel you're aiming for without obliterating the PCs.

I'm going to run the numbers to evaluate its approximate Challenge Rating using DMG page 274, assuming you're removing the slashing damage immunity, and that your target CR is in the 11-16 range (a serious threat to your 8th level party, but not impossible)...

Defensive CR 24
Effective HP = ((312 + (3 * 20) regen )) * 1.25 resistances + (3 * 30) legendary resistances = 555
Effective AC = 14 + 2 saves + 2 magic resist = 18

555 effective HP puts it at defensive CR 24, and 18 effective AC is about right.

Note: I did not account for it using the Blur spell nor the damage-reducing aspect of Corrosive Form, which could conceivably boost its AC by maybe another 2-4, though accounting for that in the maths is more complicated than I had energy for. However, the damage resistance multiplier for a CR 24 should be negligible (i.e. x1), making its effective HP more like 462, which would make its defensive CR more like 22. With monster maths, you can really exhaust yourself trying to figure this out, so I just called these two competing factors a wash. If your 8th-level party is extremely well-equipped with magic weapons, then you could assume your current version of Garos is more like a total CR 20 creature. Still way overpowered.

Offensive CR 20
DPR = 5 lair action (green slime, single-round damage) + (2 * 36) two slams + 10 mind thrust + (2 * 14) two legendary actions: slams + (2 * 4) corrosive form = 123
Effective Attack = +10 +1 corrosive aspect of its slam reducing AC = +11

123 damage puts it at offensive CR 20, and its attack bonus is about right for that CR.

Total CR 22
Taking the average = (24 + 20) / 2 = 22

By way of comparison, Jubilex is CR 23.
The party all have magical +1 and the paladin has +2 sun blade from the adventure. They are also have oil for there equipment to resist the melting of there stuff. Now with all the information that you just plugged in I'm definitely going to lower the damage and alternative was going to offer them acid resistant potions I wasn't sure at first?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases