• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Creating a 3.5 finesse style melee character that doesn't suck.

Fallenibilis

First Post
A poor idea, I'm afraid. Having Multiple Attribute Dependency means you will spread yourself out very thin.

If you want a arcane casting melee class, you can try Duskblade. But you'll end up with something rather weak in the end. Stat out a build if you don't believe me and ask yourself how it contributes usefully to challenges at, say, character level 10?

I agree about the multiple attribute thing, not the Duskblade bit, but i'm kinda partial to that class.

If you had enough levels i suggest wizard into Abjurant Champion into Swift Blade cause to me its one of the greatest Finesse Prestige Classes. Plus you get quite a few magic buffs that will be helpfull. 1 wizard/ 4 Abjurant champion/ 5 Swiftblade not far enough into swift blade to get the best stuff but it nets you quite a few awesome stuff.

Alternitively you could go 3 levels of scout and 7 level of rogue and take Darring outlaw (for swashbuckler to stack with rogue for sneak attack) and swift ambusher (for rogue to stack with scout for skirmish), and cause you have high crit rate weapons telling blow (so when you crit you do an additional 8d6 points of damage on your crits which you should get 1 out every four hits if you've keen your elven blades.)

Genesist

First Post
I like the sound of that, would be worried about enemies not subject to crit hits. It's really a shame IMO that in D and D sword smash beats things like finesse or TWF, things that are flavorful. I will check out swift blade and abjurant champion. I still like the CoC Swash combo and will see if that can be worked in. I do like your rogue daring combo.

Genesist

First Post
I'm not a "new" player, been playing for about 2 years now and DMing has helped to teach me a lot of extraneous information. I may go with a variation of his build, I'm not as interested in the teleporting thing he has going on and kind of want to stay away from TOB.

Dandu

First Post
I'm not a "new" player, been playing for about 2 years now and DMing has helped to teach me a lot of extraneous information.
Good to know.

I may go with a variation of his build, I'm not as interested in the teleporting thing he has going on and kind of want to stay away from TOB.
But here's the thing; ToB has a lot of what make that build viable. Without it, you don't do as much damage, which dampens your contribution. You'll have high AC, but in D&D standing around being hard to hit isn't very useful unless you have the ability to make an impact on the battlefield otherwise a Rogue/Monk/Duelist with high Int and Wis, Combat Expertise, and dual wielding Defending weapons would be a great character.

Genesist

First Post
Okay, very good advice. I'll look into ToB a bit more. Used it to make a character briefly once before so I'm familiar with it.

Dandu

First Post
If your DM thinks it's broken, there was a discussion about ToB's power level relative to other D&D books and classes on Gleemax. It might have been lost in the Troubles, though.

Fallenibilis

First Post
I like the sound of that, would be worried about enemies not subject to crit hits. It's really a shame IMO that in D and D sword smash beats things like finesse or TWF, things that are flavorful. I will check out swift blade and abjurant champion. I still like the CoC Swash combo and will see if that can be worked in. I do like your rogue daring combo.

Greater Demolition Crystal lets you both crit and sneak attack(as well as a few other nifty abilitys) Constructs, as for the most common crit immune foe Undead you have two options Greater True Death Crystal (again lets you both sneak attack and crit with a few other niffty things) or Enchanting it wit Ghost Strike.

I would use the Crystals as they are swapable and cheaper.

Since we are going weapon modification if you DM allows it i would get you weapon made from Kaorti Resin so you would have a 15-20/x4 crit weapon.

Oh an heres a link to SwiftBlade
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327

Last edited:

Pergentile

Explorer
"Carnivore is a good guy to listen to."
Correction: Carnivore is an AWESOME guy to listen to.

[MENTION=87358]Fallenibilis[/MENTION] What books are these Crystal materials in?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads