• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Creating a 3.5 finesse style melee character that doesn't suck.

Genesist

First Post
I realize that finesse style fighters (I use the term loosely, not referring to the fighter class) are not necessarily the most efficient or effective characters in D and D, but I have been wanting to play one for a very long time. Please tell me what you think of this build, any suggestions for improvements are welcome. I do not have stats rolled as this is for a future game. All books allowed, subject to DM approval. My idea to make this work is to get the maximum bonus to damage from stats/hit, then maximize number of hits. Bonus damage will come from adding strength, dex, and int to damage each hit.

Race: Fire elf, +2 dex, +2 int, -2 con, -2 cha
Chosen feats are below, important class characteristics are in ()

1-swashbuckler: (weapon finesse) racial weapon familiarity (nets the 2 exotic elven blades from races of the wild with one feat)
2-swashbuckler:
3-swashbuckler: (intelligence to damage) two-weapon fighting
4-fighter: (dodge)
5-fighter: (combat reflexes)
6-fighter: improved two-weapon fighting
7-fighter: mounted combat (for champ of correlon)
8-champion of correlon: (mobility)
9-champion of correlon: (dex to damage) ambidexterity
10-20?

Havoc123456

First Post
take some dervish levels. dervish dance (+1/2 level to attack and damage), finesse with scimitar, AC bonus, good will save, and at 10th level, "a thousand cuts". 1/day double the number of melee attacks while performing a full attack action.

Genesist

First Post
The problem with that is that I wasted my feat for the exotic elven weapons, which were needed for the CoC prestige class. Although flavor wise I love the dervish.

Havoc123456

First Post
good point, i didnt catch that. if you like the idea, you might be able to convince your dm to let you use your elven blades with it, but that was my only idea for now. i'll get back to you later with more ideas.

Havoc123456

First Post
well, i looked through the Bo9S, and how about warblade or sword sage? with the levels you have now, you will be able to stack them with either class and be the equivalent of a 15th lv initiator. that would let you get raging mongoose, which gives you up to 4 extra attacks at your highest attack bonus (2 per hand)

Genesist

First Post
That's a maybe. The guy who will likely DM is not fond of TOM, and as a DM I agree with him. It's not always well balanced. I did some research and hound something I like. Through adding in a monk and ranger dip with some variations I can get the needed feats, but also net some trapfinding and wis to AC. Also I can go into arcane duelist and get cha to defense as well as some nice other stuff for the first 2 levels (would do 3, but third is only worth it if you two hand). I need to find a good base class to dip in for 1 lvl of arcane casting. what is the most melee focused base arcane caster? I won't be using the spells.

This nets me:
Wis, Dex, Cha to AC
Int, Dex and Str to damage.

Seems like a decent build. Max out stats with enhancements and you have an interesting characer. Also great skill points along the way.

Dandu

First Post
That's a maybe. The guy who will likely DM is not fond of TOM, and as a DM I agree with him. It's not always well balanced.
It's better balanced than a lot of core material. Mainly the parts involving Clerics, Druids, Sorcerers, and Wizards.

Through adding in a monk and ranger dip with some variations I can get the needed feats, but also net some trapfinding and wis to AC. Also I can go into arcane duelist and get cha to defense as well as some nice other stuff for the first 2 levels (would do 3, but third is only worth it if you two hand). I need to find a good base class to dip in for 1 lvl of arcane casting. what is the most melee focused base arcane caster? I won't be using the spells.

This nets me:
Wis, Dex, Cha to AC
Int, Dex and Str to damage.

Seems like a decent build. Max out stats with enhancements and you have an interesting characer. Also great skill points along the way.
A poor idea, I'm afraid. Having Multiple Attribute Dependency means you will spread yourself out very thin.

If you want a arcane casting melee class, you can try Duskblade. But you'll end up with something rather weak in the end. Stat out a build if you don't believe me and ask yourself how it contributes usefully to challenges at, say, character level 10?

Fallenibilis

First Post
The problem with that is that I wasted my feat for the exotic elven weapons, which were needed for the CoC prestige class. Although flavor wise I love the dervish.

The Elven Court Blade is a Slashing Weapon so it qualifies you for Dervish.

Also Since you obviously meet the requirments may i suggest the Millennial Chainmail for your armor.

Genesist

First Post
Ah, thanks Fallenibilis, I hadn't noticed that. So do you think that there is any way that a finesse style combatant can match a hulk smash style? In the mean time I may use this guy as a mini-boss in the current campaign that I am DMing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads