D&D 5E Creating a half-Vampire race

Creed2347

Villager
Ok. So I decided to create a half-Vampire race for a d&d adventure and was wanting some feedback, balancing and suggestions on what I have so far (heavily shifter race based).

Half-Vampire
Ability Score
: N/A

Size: Medium

Speed: 30

Age: Though your body matures quickly, your mind ages similar to a humans.Your vampiric heritage grants you an immortal lifespan.

Alignment: Half-Vampires tend to lean toward evil do to poor treatment form other races or superficial vampires.

Sunlight sensitivity: disadvantage on wisdom perception checks while you you the target are in direct sunlight

Half death: Counting as both living and undead grants you resistance to necrotic damage and vulnerability to radiant damage.

Darkvision:
You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in Darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in Darkness, only Shades of Gray.

Shifting: As a bonus action, after taking or dealing damage, you can drink the blood and assume a more Primal appearance. You can also bite yourself dealing 1d4 piercing damage to force the shift. This transformation lasts for 1 minute, until you die, or until you revert to your normal appearance as a bonus action. In this form you gain a vampiric bite attack and Multiattack (not including 2 bite attacks and cannot hold a weapon or shield). While shifted, at the start of your turn roll a wis. Save throw You also gain additional abilities depending on your subrace.

Blood frenzy: In your shifted form more than just your appearance becomes primal. While shifted, at the start of your turn, after taking damage, roll a DC 10 or equal to the damage taken (whichever is higher) saving throw or attack the closest creature that has taken damage excluding undead.

Languages: You can speak common and one other language.

Court of Tepes-
Impaler: You dreal 1d4 extra damage while 2 handing a spear or similar piercing weapon.

Hungered shift: While shifted, you have advantage when grappling

Court of Orlok-
Talons: Your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 slashing damage

Striding Shift: while shifted, you grow wings and longer talons allowing you to hover and your movement is increased by 10. Also when an enemy ends its turn within 5 ft of you, you can expend movement to move away from that enemy without provoking opportunity as a reaction.

Court of Báthory-
Blood Bath: You can cast false life once per short or long rest.

Torturous Shift: You have proficiency with the whip and while shifted, you can utilize the whip as a weapon with advantage every strike (unless imposed with disadvantage).

Bite: melee attack, range-5ft, 1d4 piercing damage. While shifted, you can add you str. mod and you regain HP equal to half the damage.

Claws: melee attack, range-5ft, 1d6 slashing damage.

Grapple: while grappling you can only use the bite attack.

The courts are based on Vlad the impaler, Count Orlok from nNosfurotu, and Countess Elisabeth Báthory. I am willing to add on or remove anything within reason and possibly add a 4th court if one is requested and a a base idea is given.

Last edited:

neogod22

Explorer
I would say, use the Vroloka(I think that's how you spell it) race from 4th edition as a template. They have more already ready for use. Maybe use some of their more powerful racial abilities as a feat package, or maybe they just don't get them at all for game balance.

Asensur

Villager
Plane Shift Zendikar and Plane Shift Ixalan have each one rules for (pseudo)Vampires (they can be in sunlight, etc.). So you could use them as they are or as a base for your race.

Zendikar has the savage ones and Ixalan the knightly ones.

Creed2347

Villager
Have you seen WotC's semi-official 5E Vampire race from Plane Shift: Ixalan? https://media.wizards.com/2018/downloads/magic/plane-shift_ixalan.pdf

It's more like a half-vampire, because (for balance reasons) it doesn't have many of the traditional full vampire powers or the full vampire's issues with sunlight.
Thanks for the hyperlink. It's a good start but the reason I used the shifter is to create a vampire variety of the weretouched. But I do like the bloodthirsty stats better than mine

Creed2347

Villager
Plane Shift Zendikar and Plane Shift Ixalan have each one rules for (pseudo)Vampires (they can be in sunlight, etc.). So you could use them as they are or as a base for your race.

Zendikar has the savage ones and Ixalan the knightly ones.
I like the creation of a null ability of the zendikar but a I don't think a half-vampire should be able to create a null so I might change it to the command or charm person spell as a race ability.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases