• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating NPC opponents

themind

Explorer
Now I'm still reading through my books and skimmed over the creating Npc section and had a question I was unable to find an answer to in the book.

Say I want to create an NPC that is to be my BBEG. I create him using the rules in the NPC section of the DMG. Can I now make him an Elite or Solo encounter? Or does that only count towards monsters and an NPC is just a regular NPC?

Thanks

eleran

First Post
themind said:
Now I'm still reading through my books and skimmed over the creating Npc section and had a question I was unable to find an answer to in the book.

Say I want to create an NPC that is to be my BBEG. I create him using the rules in the NPC section of the DMG. Can I now make him an Elite or Solo encounter? Or does that only count towards monsters and an NPC is just a regular NPC?

Thanks

You can definitely make him elite or solo. You do this by applying 1 template to make him elite and a second template to make him solo.

Your difficulty might be in terminology. The BBEG, while an NPC, is effectively also a monster. Therefore build him using the NPC rules, then apply the templates in the monster section and voila, you have an elite or solo BBEG NPC.

Last edited:

Remove ads