[Creative Exercise] Worlds in a word, planes in a paragraph

paradox42

First Post
Kraunsheg A world of gravity gone awry, where the pull of weight is so strong that even an average human produces enough to easily walk upon, and every native inhabitant flies though the open space because to touch the Black Wall at the edge means a rather messy death from collapse and implosion.

Elehaven Tired of being at the beck and call of spellcasters in the rest of the cosmos, elementals crafted a planar retreat which would allow them to withdraw and retire from the rest of the multiverse when they wish. All elements can be found there, if you can find it at all- for the primary trait of the plane is that Conjuration, Divination, and even Universal spells just don't work... (wouldn't want a sneaky Wish to get around the restrictions now would they?)

On a side note, I long ago added a function to my private utility programs to generate a random demiplane using the tables in MoP (with the additions I made to those rules such as the existence of Vacuum-Dominant, Electricity-Dominant, etc. planes). Its results can often be quite strange, but very inspirational if you take the time to think about what they mean. :D

Psion

Adventurer
paradox42 said:
On a side note, I long ago added a function to my private utility programs to generate a random demiplane using the tables in MoP (with the additions I made to those rules such as the existence of Vacuum-Dominant, Electricity-Dominant, etc. planes). Its results can often be quite strange, but very inspirational if you take the time to think about what they mean. :D

I plugged the tables for planar characteristics from Portals & Planes to my name generator program. Turns out some interesting quick planes.

Dark Seraph

First Post
Y'TH-NAGAR: A world / pocket plane that was created by a long dead deity where intelligent beings from across the multiverse stumble into by accident and become trapped in it for as long as they believe they are. The world / plane has a great variety of terrain and atmosphere that are favourable or unfavourable depending on ones race and place of origin and its become populated over the years by a vast variety of races. Some have come together to form communities of varying sizes and forms, but always there is the perpetual inexplicable lemming-like drive and desire to engage in contests, combat, conflicts, battles, and even wide spread wars between the multitiude of factions and communities that thrive here. This drive and desire seeps into the unconcious mind of those that thrive here gradually increasing in intensity till it reaches a maddening peak. Scholars in various communities theorize this as the residual nature of the creator deity that resides in the essence of every matter.

DS.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Mouseferatu said:
Someone mentioned this in another thread, so I'll bump it for easy access. :)

We've been doing something similar over at theRPGsite, but we've been using Ignore Lists to facilitate blind posting (that is, you can see your own posts in a thread, but not those of the other posters). After the round of play is over, you un-ignore everybody and see what kind of setting you have (this weekend, I'll be compiling the first round -- a fantasy setting -- as a PDF for release to the Public Domain). Right now, we're working on Round 2 (Space Opera). Check it out. Maybe we could do something similar at ENWorld for planes of existence :)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Song - Also known as the Elemental Plane of Sound, much to the annoyance of traditional cosmographers and the native plane of the destrachans. A dimly lit plane of open spaces punctuated by membranes stretching through space, each side possessing enough gravity to hold visitors to its surface, while still vibrating in response to the cacaphony that fills the plane. Sometimes the plane is a whisper, other times a deafening roar. It is never quiet.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tesserynth-

The party awakes in a darkened chamber, emerging from crypts, to the sounds of their names being chanted with great reverence, their memories afogg... They are in Tesserynth, an escher-esque dungeon of a plane that is partially flooded- an eternal monument to a dead god of Madness. Gravity is subjective, the water is everflowing, and there are even mysterious portals that teleport those who pass through them to other portals...but the destinations are somewhat randomized (there are patterns, but only the wisest can fathom them). Any kind of creature may be found here, but nobody seems to know how they came to be trapped in this place. Bizzare cults and whole empires have been founded here, but the only goals that matter are finding food, shelter, and a way out.

hewligan

First Post
The Zoo (stolen from a Sci-Fi book by Alistair Reynolds): An unfathomably large structure, interwoven pipes each large enough to house planets, all closed off from one another by valves, but opening randomly for periods of time before closing again. During the openings, other races trapped within the zoo will filter in, some trying to find a way out, some forgetting when their people first arrived here. A giant zoo of a long gone species - they fetch their specimens by long forgotten traps.

Korinath: A living planet, river-like veins that criss-cross the pale grey flesh-like surface, a constant thrumming from within, the dreaded valley of teeth, pits of fetid fluid, and the burrowing, ferocious, mindless worms that gorge through the flesh, leaving room-sized burrows and massive cavernous hollowings, the walls encrusted and bloodied. There is pain here, and little renewal, and the dreaded fear of those who cling to existence that the worms are becoming too many, too ravenous, too quickly.

Andor

First Post
Tesserch't - An endless tangle of vines up to a mile wide stretch in all directions, like the inside of a gigantic jungle. No ground can be found, nor open sky but green light penetrates the vines on a normal daily schedule. The inhabitants cling to their vines and weave basket homes on their sides.

Vorada - A dusty stone road that twists through endless grey confusion, Vorada is the transitive plane of time. To walk the dusty road is to stide towards the past or future. Terrible dooms and glorious victories can be found on the road, if one can but reach it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases