D&D 3E/3.5 Creature Catalog 3.5 overhaul project - part 1

las

First Post
BoZ: if you want I can do one or two creature just tell me where to post/send them and which ones you want me to do. Other wise ill find one and do it and make a post here (within the next few days any way).

Krishnath

First Post
Boz: Sounds good to me, as long as I get first dibs on the dragons, I'm a happy camper ;) Also, have you seen the big announcement over on NKL?

Anyways, in the words of Bill Clinton: Trick knee, gotta run ;)

Later,

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
no no no fellas, don't jump the gun on me here. ;)

you know me, i like the GROUP efforts! if we get the chance to discuss the changes on the boards, i think we'll get a lot of great input that way.

do NOT do revisions on your own. DO, however, jot down some notes on your favorite creatures, as it will come up later! :)

Krishnath

First Post
Aw, man, I was going to do a straight conversion of the cloud, mercury, and mist dragons. No real changes other than a tweaking of their CR, Treasure, SR, and DR. Oh, yeah, and the addition of the spirit subtype to the mist and cloud... :D

Also, regarding the NKL announcement, they are changing systems on the first of august, the NKL boards will be down a couple of days. And we will all need to re-register.

Here's a suggestion regarding the Adamantine dragon, I suggest we change it to be more like the Hellfire Wyrm. :D

las

First Post
Demon (Miska the Wolf-Spider)
Demon (Queen of Chaos)
Demon (Spider-Kakkuu)
Demon (Spider-Lycosidilith)
Demon (Spider-Phisarazu)
Demon (Spider-Raklupis)
Demon (Spider-Spithriku)
Elemental Lord (Cryonax)
Elemental Lord (Ogremoch)
Elemental Lord (Olhydra)
Elemental Lord (Yan-C-Bin)

Thats my list of my faves as of now when the things starts ill look through the thing some more and if there are others.:D

Knight Otu

First Post
Re: 3.5 Upgrade Guidelines

BOZ said:
All creatures get at least one feat now, except for Vermin, Oozes, and Constructs, although they can still have bonus feats.
Intelligent constructs gain feats normally (that is, 1 starting feat and 1 feat per 3 HD)

Control Shape (for infected lycanthropes only)
I believe that this one is a skill

Level Adjustment:
I’ll be honest with you: at the moment, I have no idea how to calculate this! If you know, you’ll have to share with me so that I can learn!
Maybe I can lend a bit of a hand here, from the work I did with Soldarin's system...

I have heard that the Construction rules and costs for Constructs have changed; anyone care to enlighten me on what this entails?
I'd be interested as well.

Krishnath

First Post
O.K. First things first.

Regarding the LA issue, I have Savage Species, and I am willing to use it. Of the different systems of calculating LA, the savage species version seems to be the most balanced and easy to use.

As for the construction rules and the advancement of constructs, from the revised MM, page 303:

Craft Construct [Item Creation]
The creature can create golems and other magic automatons that obey its orders.
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wonderous Item.
Benefit: A creature with this feat can create any construct whose prerequisites it meets. Enchanting a construct takes one day for each 1000 gp in it's market price. To enchant a construct, a spellcaster must spend 1/25 the item's base price in XP and use up raw materials costing half of this price (see the Golem, Homunculus, and Shield Guardian entries for details).
A creature with this feat can repair constructs that have taken damage. In one day of work, the creature can repair up to 20 points of damage by expending 50 gp per point of damage repaired.
A newly created construct has average hit points for it's hit dice.

And from the beginning of the Golem chapter:

Note:The market price of an advanced golem is increased by 5000 gp by each additional Hit Die, and increased by an additional 50,000 gp if the golems size increases. The XP cost for creating an advanced golem is equal to 1/25 the advanced golems market price minus the cost of the special materials required.

There is no mention on calculating the base cost of the construct.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Krishnath said:
Aw, man, I was going to do a straight conversion of the cloud, mercury, and mist dragons. No real changes other than a tweaking of their CR, Treasure, SR, and DR. Oh, yeah, and the addition of the spirit subtype to the mist and cloud... :D

hate to break it to you krish... we won't be working on any of the ToH-appearing monsters. if anyone's going to do those, it will probably be scott and the NG crew. all of the ToH monsters will remain on the site, but probably not be upgraded to 3.5e. as for the mercury, well... we'll see. :) at the moment, sorry again, i'm not yet planning on doing dragons.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
las said:
Thats my list of my faves as of now when the things starts ill look through the thing some more and if there are others.:D

we'll get to the requests as soon as i decide how i want to take them. ;)

for now though, please no requests.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Re: Re: 3.5 Upgrade Guidelines

Knight Otu said:
Intelligent constructs gain feats normally (that is, 1 starting feat and 1 feat per 3 HD)

ok. :) didn't catch that.

I believe that this one is a skill

d'oh! so that's why Control Shape is not listed alphabetically with the feats... that'll teach me to read - or maybe not!

Maybe I can lend a bit of a hand here, from the work I did with Soldarin's system...

LA is one concept where input is greatly appreciated and desired!

Last edited:

Remove ads