Creatures-By-Poll: Fey #5 (recovery effort)

James Heard

Explorer
I do brainstorming fine, but agreement? Not so good. I still think kung fu polar bear necromancer fey would be kick butt. :D That's ok though everyone here might lose out, but eventually....one day....my players will suffer for everyone's lack of agreement with me. :D

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
fair enough, then - i'll go with the general consensus of the rest of the group, on the breath weapon's effects. :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
nothing, yet. :) i've seen about a dozen ideas, but no one seems to feel particularly strongly about what the breath weapon should *do*, other than look all prism-ly. ;)

please, here, post exactly what you think the breath weapon(s) should do.

BOZ said:
Its breath weapon would come out as a prismatic effect, which could look something like Aurora Borealis. It could do any of the effects that Conaill mentioned (fear, deathwatch, enervation, harm, ray of enfeeblement, waves of exhaustion, energy drain), or something else. We could make it a typical breath weapon, or like I suggested earlier it could mimic the cloud breath weapon of an iron golem. I think it was also suggested that the breath could cause a fascination or hypnosis effect. I could see the breath causing more than one effect simultaneously, or multiple possible effects caused one at a time, as chosen by the bear. Discuss! :)

BOZ said:
we need to solidify just exactly what it is that the breath weapon does. a number of suggestions have been posted so far. what *exactly* does everyone think the breath weapon(s) should do? i'm fine with, for example, having more than one separate breath (the way that some dragon types have), or having more than one effect tacked on to the same breath.

James Heard said:
There's a new spell in the PHBII called Prismatic Mist (Sor/Wiz3) that might be interesting to sit a base effect on and then add a more CR appropriate kicker onto. Plus it ties in with new books, and who doesn't like excuses to buy new books? Well, besides people who can't afford them...The attached effect would probably have to be evil as heck to make up for the low level of that one.

Or, alternately I like the idea that it blinds, dazes/shaken/whatever, and does Con damage too. Maybe a low DC 15 save for permanent blindness, makes you helpless no matter what, and causes Con drain to allude to the death thing. Or level drain, level drain would be outstanding and different too. Something to make sure that the wussiness of being a fey doesn't nerf the "big scary bear" thing. If it can attack players and make them helpless THEN engage in melee...

Or, it breathes a cone of anti-magic that sucks up spell-levels. I don't know how you'd rationalize that, but it sounds like something fey would do.

After that, and including earlier suggestions of mine, my stream o consciousness brainstorm stops.

plus, i'm sure other ideas have been posted throughout the thread. we need to narrow it down more, obviously. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
From http://www.allthingsarctic.com/aurora/index.aspx:

"Auroral displays appear in many colors with pale green and pink the most common. However, different shades of red, yellow, green, blue, and violet have all been observed. Green results from energized oxygen atoms and pink from nitrogen molecules. The color variations are a product of the altitude of the storm, and the density and composition of the ions at that altitude. The folding effect results from the electric field induced on either side of the auroral curtain by the electrons."

As a starting point, I'd suggest it function similar to prismatic spells, with following effects:

Pale green = sickened for X rounds on failed save; otherwise nauseated for X rounds
Pink = as touch of idiocy
Red = rage (as the spell) for X rounds
Yellow = blinded for X rounds on failed save; otherwise dazzled for X rounds
Green = enfeebled (as ray of enfeeblement)
Blue = exhausted for X rounds on failed save; otherwise fatigued for X rounds
Violet = frightened for X rounds on failed save; otherwise shaken for X rounds

Alteranatively, it can have the lights act as rainbow pattern, but otherwise remain harmless.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, now there's a possibility - sort of like a poor man's prismatic spray. ;)

you could take the rainbow pattern on top of that as a separate effect, or it could use the "lesser prismatic spray" or rainbow pattern as two separate weapons the way a gold dragon has two separate breath weapons.

what does everyone think about that - yea, or nay? if nay, what is your proposal?

Conaill

First Post
Never liked Prismatic <anything>, personally. Too much having to look things up in a table.

I'm still voting for Fear + Deathwatch + some form of necromantic (but non-evil) damage (all three at the same time). I think that would make for a very flavorful combination - you could literally be scared to death due to the realization of your own mortality! :cool:

Remove ads