[Creatures] Dark Crystal and D&D

Martin

Former Grand Vizier of Nutkinland
You forgot The Adventures of Baron Munchausen and The Fisher King.

I think most of Gilliam's movies started delving into insanity and the fantasies within the mind as well.

Now that would make for a REALLY cool adventure. You could have the party experience things that only they are truly experiencing and everyone else is convinced is merely fantasy.

kenjib

First Post
Gilliam's Time Bandits, Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and Brazil are an "unofficial" trilogy of sorts. They all have to do with the fantasies of people at different ages:

Childhood: Time Bandits
Adulthood: Brazil
Old Age: Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

The movies all talk to each other.

EDIT: I only mean "unofficial" in that they are not labeled explicitly as a trilogy. Terry Gilliam specifically referred to them as a trilogy in interviews and books from what I gather.

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I did these creatures for 2 e at one point, even had a topic running for converting to 3e but no one helped me, and they are lost now

What I would much prefer on DVD is the last Unicorn, I would buy it in a second if I could find it. But I don't think it's been put on DVD. For some reason I always think of the Dark Crystal, Laberyth and the last unicorn together. I love that movie

I've stolen some great parts of that movie for DND adventures, thought once about running the movie as an adventure.

"Listen, Listen, Don't listen to me, Listen"
"They passed down all the old roads long about and the Red Bull ran close behind them and covered their trail."

Do anyone hear about the making of a remake of the last unicorn? Wonder how that's going...

A2Z

Explorer
Couldn't you use the Vrock Tanari for the Skeksis? I don't recall the rest of the movie well enough to remember the other races though.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Ok, What do yo uwant to use them for?

Do you have a specific reason for wanting similar creatures?

What purpose will they serve in your game and setting?

Or is it just that they are "kewl"?

Terraism

Explorer
DarwinofMind said:
I did these creatures for 2 e at one point, even had a topic running for converting to 3e but no one helped me, and they are lost now

What I would much prefer on DVD is the last Unicorn, I would buy it in a second if I could find it. But I don't think it's been put on DVD. For some reason I always think of the Dark Crystal, Laberyth and the last unicorn together. I love that movie

I've stolen some great parts of that movie for DND adventures, thought once about running the movie as an adventure.

"Listen, Listen, Don't listen to me, Listen"
"They passed down all the old roads long about and the Red Bull ran close behind them and covered their trail."

Do anyone hear about the making of a remake of the last unicorn? Wonder how that's going...

Couple of things here... I just watched The Last Unicorn for the first time since I was like six last night.. I can't believe how much of it came back to me during the very introduction; before I sat down I couldn't remember a thing, save the song... while they ran the tapestry-style introduction I suddenly remembered almost the entire movie. It was wonderful. It was really one of those movies that deserves to be immortalized. I watched it with two friends - neither of them had ever seen it. They're only willing to concur that it's 'ok'. Philistines. :D

Back 'on topic,' I went digging today for The Last Unicorn on DVD, because I'd love to own it. I found a couple of wonderful things... one, that it HAS been released in DVD format. However, the bad part is that it's only available in Region 2 coding, so can't be watched on an American DVD or TV. :(. However, the company is planning on releasing it in Region 1 coding, so... there's hope! (Oh, you can have Amazon e-mail you when it's available, too... the specific location is here.)

Next, and just as cool, is the information on the live action movie, apparently being developed by Continent Films, for eventual release Fall/Winter 2003. Apparently, they've recast Christopher Lee, Angela Lansbury, and Rene Auberjonois to play their lifelike versions of their animated characters - meaning we get to see them as King Haggard, Momma Fortuna, and Captain Cully/The Skeleton, in that order. Here's the website. Hope it's interesting! :D

Remove ads