D&D General Creatures Obscure & Underused

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Next chance I get in a Forgotten Realms campaign I'm making players fight a Phaerimm. Weird as hell, important to the setting lore, and yet haven't been given stats for several editions; it's a damned shame. Their days as cover models shall return!
Sadly, that's the least comical depiction of the creature that I've see.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
That phaerimm picture on the Netheril cover reminded me of the fihyr in the 3e MM2, a creature that coalesces from peoples' collected nightmares (called feyr in 2e). I haven't seen them used, but apparently they appeared in some of the D&D computer games.
The 3e rendition always made me want to use one to terrorize a neighborhood or something in an urban campaign.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
A few others:

Banshee. I don't know if I want a TPK, but this monster seems cool, and I would like to use it. Unfortunately, I haven't really ever found a situation to add them in.

Perytons. Strange monsters, with cool lore. Again, never found a situation to use them in.

Balhannoth. Again, never had a campaign in the Shadowfell, and have never felt the need to add them to a campaign, but in 5e they're absolutely awful and horrifying monsters.

R_J_K75

Legend
There's a creature that is basically a walking stony, spiky structure of holes and tubes. Wind blowing through the creature's body produces soft whistling noises that can pacify lesser undead.
I couldn't remember the name of it, so I had to poke around til I found it in the 1e Fiend Folio: sussurus.
(Because of course. :rolleyes:.)

It's an odd beastie with an odd ability that's inspired a couple encounter ideas years ago, but I've never had a chance to use on in play.

It showed up in 2E somewhere too because I used it on a party but it was so long ago I dont remember it must not have made for a very memorable encounter. Oddly though I remembered its name halfway through your post.

R_J_K75

Legend
Banshee. I don't know if I want a TPK, but this monster seems cool, and I would like to use it. Unfortunately, I haven't really ever found a situation to add them in.

I used a banshee for the penultimate adventure for a campaign. The PC had to create a spell to defeat an undead horde. The spell component was the wail of of a banshee. When I told them they asked me how are we supposed to get that? I said I don't know you figure it out.

Voadam

Legend

They are in a lot of modules, most classically attending Lord Soth's court in Dragonlance and singing about his fall to evil each night. DL 16 World of Krynn comes to mind, but there are a ton of others. They are also often called groaning spirits in older editions. In Pathfinder they are a very strong hard hitting high CR monster. In AD&D they were very deadly for their save or die area wail. In Ravenloft there was a Domain Lord who was one.

Remove ads