D&D 5E Crimson Flame [Homebrew Spell]

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Then it'd be called Fireball.
Again, I provide a perfectly valid 2nd level spell that does a similar amount of damage for two-turns of investment for comparison.

As for being a pillar and a sphere... the pillar is a descending one, followed by an explosion. Although I could of worded it better.

I do like the spell, but I think the decreased radius of Moonbeam means that it's overall damage per time should be higher compared to Crimson Flame. 3d12 feels better to me, personally. I'm fine with the scaling, Damage over time spells should scale better than instantaneous ones, and the fact that it consumes concentration means it will never be a true replacement for fireball.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I do like the spell, but I think the decreased radius of Moonbeam means that it's overall damage per time should be higher compared to Crimson Flame. 3d12 feels better to me, personally. I'm fine with the scaling, Damage over time spells should scale better than instantaneous ones, and the fact that it consumes concentration means it will never be a true replacement for fireball.

Halved the radius to make it a little less fireball-esque.
I'm okay with it doing more damage over two turns than Moonbeam. For one thing, Druids don't have the most damaging spells, and for another Moonbeam can continue to do damage.

TwoSix

Halved the radius to make it a little less fireball-esque.
I'm okay with it doing more damage over two turns than Moonbeam. For one thing, Druids don't have the most damaging spells, and for another Moonbeam can continue to do damage.
If the radius is halved (which cuts the area down by about 70%), then I think keeping the damage at 4d12 works. As someone who's playing a fire sorcerer now (currently 14th level), I know this is a spell I would have happily chosen at 3rd level, and probably kept until about 7th level. A big selling point of blasts is that they don't eat up concentration; the spell slot saving wouldn't have outweighed the using concentration factor once 4th level spells became available. Plus, fireball becomes simply too competitive for the "blasting" pick once 3rd level spells are no longer your precious highest level slot.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Hmm. With a range of 150ft, it'd be fairly easy to get the drop on folks, making the extra round 'cost' much less costly in terms of offsetting the increased damage. I'd much rather a costly material component - a chunky 5-20 gold ruby or the like, consumed on casting.

The extra round, as a cost to offset the damage, also raises the question - why stop there? When not have Emerald Flame, that does even more damage, but takes three round to cast. Onyx Flame - five rounds to cast! Yet more damage!

If such a spell or spells exist, I'd expect players to be using a first-strike strategy, and wouldn't be surprised if they built their warlock (or even party) around it. Pick up Spell Sniper and you're blowing stuff up from 300ft away, at relatively little cost.

So aye, the game will still run but expect a shift in play. If folks are happy with such antics at their table, then it's all good.

jgsugden

Legend
6th level slot, 8d12. Cone of cold, a cornerstone 6th level damage spell, 8d8. Generally speaking, 'upcasting' a spell to a higher level should not result in a more powerful spell than the higher level spell.

Are you the DM in the game or are you trying to make a spell for a player to use?

If you're the DM, do what you want. Your game.

If you're a player, show this thread to the DM and get feedback.

If you're designing it for DM's Guild, I would really cut down the power level per my above advice or something similar. This spell is currently significantly overpowered.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
If the radius is halved (which cuts the area down by about 70%), then I think keeping the damage at 4d12 works. As someone who's playing a fire sorcerer now (currently 14th level), I know this is a spell I would have happily chosen at 3rd level, and probably kept until about 7th level. A big selling point of blasts is that they don't eat up concentration; the spell slot saving wouldn't have outweighed the using concentration factor once 4th level spells became available. Plus, fireball becomes simply too competitive for the "blasting" pick once 3rd level spells are no longer your precious highest level slot.

Unfortunately it still would: any spell with a casting time longer than 1 action requires concentration.
EDIT: Oh I get what you're saying: You'd use it until 7th level, at which point costing concentration becomes too high a cost.

Hmm. With a range of 150ft, it'd be fairly easy to get the drop on folks, making the extra round 'cost' much less costly in terms of offsetting the increased damage. I'd much rather a costly material component - a chunky 5-20 gold ruby or the like, consumed on casting.

The extra round, as a cost to offset the damage, also raises the question - why stop there? When not have Emerald Flame, that does even more damage, but takes three round to cast. Onyx Flame - five rounds to cast! Yet more damage!

If such a spell or spells exist, I'd expect players to be using a first-strike strategy, and wouldn't be surprised if they built their warlock (or even party) around it. Pick up Spell Sniper and you're blowing stuff up from 300ft away, at relatively little cost.

So aye, the game will still run but expect a shift in play. If folks are happy with such antics at their table, then it's all good.

Well actually...

I did consider it for a higher level spell (like 5+ higher) or two. Still am. The problem is that most combats end after 3-5 rounds, so you'd just be moping up already weakened foes (in which case the turns were wasted), or you're getting a nova strike (in which case it may be too strong, depending on how unsubtle the casting is).

Good point on the range though, I borrowed heavily from fireball to get a scale of range and the likes. Then again, in most cases is you can see them, with a clear line of target and effect, they can see you. Might lower the range to 100 feet. That way an enemy may be able to rush you if you're detected.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Unfortunately it still would: any spell with a casting time longer than 1 action requires concentration.
EDIT: Oh I get what you're saying: You'd use it until 7th level, at which point costing concentration becomes too high a cost.

Well actually...

I did consider it for a higher level spell (like 5+ higher) or two. Still am. The problem is that most combats end after 3-5 rounds, so you'd just be moping up already weakened foes (in which case the turns were wasted), or you're getting a nova strike (in which case it may be too strong, depending on how unsubtle the casting is).

Good point on the range though, I borrowed heavily from fireball to get a scale of range and the likes. Then again, in most cases is you can see them, with a clear line of target and effect, they can see you. Might lower the range to 100 feet. That way an enemy may be able to rush you if you're detected.

Aye, they might see the PCs, depending on circumstances. It'd make a great ambush spell - though you'd need to consider if the PC's would be aok with getting hit spell as part of an ambush.

Could even be a plot hook - introduce the spell via a scroll or spellbook. Have the PC's use it. Then the creator of the spell turns up with their minions, rather miffed that some cheeky swine has plagarised their research.

I'd say just give it a go - perfect balance is a myth, and balance in and of itself is not always a 'good thing'. Fun first - if the table enjoys the spells, all good.

TwoSix

Yup, exactly.

Overall, good spell...unlike some others, I like to people push the edges of where 5e design can go, and most homebrew is focused on classes/subclasses, rather than spells. It's nice to see some variety.

Remove ads