• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Critical Hits and Fumbles

Bupp

Adventurer
In our session this past weekend when we played through part of The Three Faces of Evil, the second part of the Age of Worms I tried out using a new critical/fumble system. Two sessions, one being combat heavy, and I think the system held up well, and the kids liked it, too.

I had been using this critical generator from the d20PFSRD, but it relies heavily on ability modifications, which aren't supported in 5e. I found myself re-rolling (or clicking) sometimes several times until I got a result that seemed to fit.

I wanted to keep it simple, and since I'm a fan of Advantage/Disadvantage, I based it on that mechanic. Also, since I like dice (honestly, who doesn't), I bought some new dice to help illustrate this in game.

On a critical hit, roll all damage dice a second time then add any modifiers, as per RAW. In addition, you gain Advantage on your next attack roll. To keep track, I give a steel/silver colored die to the player/monster that got the crit and place it on the table under their miniature.

On a fumble, you automatically miss. You gain Disadvantage on your next turn, OR you get the choice of something cinematic (drop weapon, fall prone, ect.). The black/yellowish green die would represent the fumble.

http://5egrognard.blogspot.com/2015/01/critical-hits-and-fumbles.html

Last edited:

Paraxis

Explorer
Not doubling all extra damage dice is a big nerf to rogues, and not such a big nerf to rangers, paladins, and warlocks or other classes that commonly use extra dice to modify weapon damage.

Why add fumbles, they are not part of the game, never have been in the standard rules, they harm the players way more than the monsters.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Yeah, been there, done that, got the tshirt, won't go back. Anything that tends to add even a light level of complexity over the core rules, I avoid. I also avoid new advantage/disadvantage (and increased damage) rules since it's already too prevalent in the game and can result in swinginess and death spirals. Great when it helps the PCs, a bear when the monsters wipe out the party with those types of house rules.

trentonjoe

Explorer
I think it's cute.

I use a ton of different "critical miss" rules.

Roll a 1, then:

1. Nothing happens, you miss, game over. This is group of pretty tactical old dudes who worry about balance and stupid crap like that.
2. Make something up bad like: drop your sword, tangle your flail, slip on blood, etc. This group is a bunch of casual gamers who don't know or care about the rules.
3. Hit an ally you are next to. I use this with my middle school kids. They love it, they get all mad at each other and some of them refuse to fight next to the ranger with 2 swords.

I like the disadvantage on your next attack though. I might be able to talk my grumble bunnies into that one.....

Bupp

Adventurer
Fumbles: I feel if you should have criticals, you should have something on the other end of the spectrum.

I don't think it nerfs the extra dice classes at all, you still get to roll the extra dice, I just feel that maxing all dice is a bit overboard.

Nebulous

Legend
Fumbles: I feel if you should have criticals, you should have something on the other end of the spectrum.

I don't think it nerfs the extra dice classes at all, you still get to roll the extra dice, I just feel that maxing all dice is a bit overboard.

I don't feel like you're nerfing anything, you're just experimenting with options.

Paraxis

Explorer
I don't feel like you're nerfing anything, you're just experimenting with options.

So you don't think that reducing an Assassin Rogue's ability to effectivly assassinate is a nerf?

Normal rules, 3rd level assassin catches target by surprise, has advantage on attack, any hit is a critical, he does 2d6+3(short sword) + 4d6 (sneak attack) damage. His off hand attack is going to have advantage on it.

Modified rules, ..........all the same...he does 6+3 (short sword) + 2d6 (sneak attack) and his next attack has advantage ohh wait it already did because of class abilities.

That is the difference between 24 average damage and 16 average damage, the gap only gets much much worse as level and sneak attack go up. That is exactly what a "nerf" to your abilities is.

Not a fan of old-school fumbles (stab a friend/yourself, drop the weapon, lose a turn, shatter your sword, etc) as the game was hard enough already. Would rethink the issue of just imposing disadvantage on the next turn, I kind of like that for some reason...

Ravenheart87

Explorer
Would rethink the issue of just imposing disadvantage on the next turn, I kind of like that for some reason...

Of course you like it. Disadvantage is a simple and elegant way to add some... disadvantage. Seriously, the advantage/disadvantage system is one of the best parts of this edition.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads