• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Critical Hits and Fumbles

Kaychsea

Explorer
So lets look at this fumble house rule.

You fumble an attack and your next attack has disadvantage.

What if your next attack comes 2 rounds later? Why would your fumble mess you up after you have already moved, dashed, and cast a spell?

Why does getting better at fighting, and thus extra attacks increase the odds that I am such a clutz that I will fumble on my tun?

I read it differently. It said on your next turn, so that's it. If you don't do anything no problem, you are no longer off balance so you operate as normal. But for that turn you are at disadvantage on everything, not just attacks, for those 6 seconds.

I may well apply that.

Bupp

Adventurer
I read it differently. It said on your next turn, so that's it. If you don't do anything no problem, you are no longer off balance so you operate as normal. But for that turn you are at disadvantage on everything, not just attacks, for those 6 seconds.

I may well apply that.

I did say next attack roll, but I do like your interpretation of "your next turn", so I updated my original post to match.

Fanaelialae

Legend
On a fumble, you automatically miss. You gain Disadvantage on your next turn, OR you get the choice of something cinematic (drop weapon, fall prone, ect.). The black/yellowish green die would represent the fumble.

I'd just make it disadvantage on your next roll. Otherwise, the guys who are supposed to be the best fighters (and therefore have multiple attacks) will not only be fumbling more often, but will be penalized more severely for it (because they have disadvantage on multiple attacks if they attack next round).

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Of course you like it. Disadvantage is a simple and elegant way to add some... disadvantage. Seriously, the advantage/disadvantage system is one of the best parts of this edition.

Which is why all PCs should have some type of "save spell" that they can throw out in these types of houserule modified games.

My Trickster Rogue has disadvantage next turn? Fine. I cast Charm Person on the guy in the back next round.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
Disadvantage is too weak. The fumble needs to be something really bad, like falling down and possibly breaking your weapon. I would suggest for 5th Edition, that if you fumble with a melee attack, all enemies within 5' get to make an opportunity attack against you if they haven't used their reaction action for the round. If you fumble with a missile attack, your character's aim is thrown for three rounds, in which all your missile attacks are at disadvantage. If this seems too hard for you, limit the opportunity attacks to from the target of your melee attack or disadvantage to missile attacks for only two rounds. It will bring drama to the game this way.

Kaychsea

Explorer
Disadvantage is too weak. The fumble needs to be something really bad, like falling down and possibly breaking your weapon... It will bring drama to the game this way.
Bit harsh in comparison to the critical hit. It will tend to bring dead characters at low level.
The disadvantage allows a simple relief mechanism, any advantage levels out the disadvantage from a fumble, so a help action from someone with little else going on or inspiration being given would get your on point fighter back in the game on an even keel.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
Bit harsh in comparison to the critical hit. It will tend to bring dead characters at low level.
The disadvantage allows a simple relief mechanism, any advantage levels out the disadvantage from a fumble, so a help action from someone with little else going on or inspiration being given would get your on point fighter back in the game on an even keel.

Okay. How about a critical hit does double the dice in damage plus 10% of the maximum hit points of the target, rounded down. I was thinking about how many hit points monsters have, and this would affect small and big ones equally well. I was going to say triple or quadruple damage, but that would over-multiply the sneak attack damage and anything else that gets to be a big number. Just tripling the base weapon damage isn't that big. If the critical rolls low, you can still do less damage than the maximum for a normal hit, so in this way, too, the plus 10% will help keep the critical always a factor. I would also introduce the critical hit tables from 2nd edition, in optional format as they were, for those interested in them as an alternative.

Thyrwyn

Explorer
Also remember that PCs roll many more dice than any other entity. Critical Hit and Fumble rules will therefore impact PCs far more frequently than they will anything else. Since there are currently no rules for a Fumble, introducing them will be, in the long run, a hindrance for the PCs. The more extreme the consequences, the more extreme the hindrance.

I'm not saying don't do it, just something to think about. ( RuneQuest is one of my favorite games, and it's fumble rules are punishing. )

Diamabel

First Post
Disadvantage is too weak. The fumble needs to be something really bad, like falling down and possibly breaking your weapon. I would suggest for 5th Edition, that if you fumble with a melee attack, all enemies within 5' get to make an opportunity attack against you if they haven't used their reaction action for the round. If you fumble with a missile attack, your character's aim is thrown for three rounds, in which all your missile attacks are at disadvantage. If this seems too hard for you, limit the opportunity attacks to from the target of your melee attack or disadvantage to missile attacks for only two rounds. It will bring drama to the game this way.

5% chance per attack is an awfully high chance of something *really* bad happening!

This doesn't bring drama, it's pure PC punishment, especially for those with high numbers of attacks.

With such harsh punishment for rolling a 1, advantage on rolls becomes priority #1, even to to point of taking the "lucky" feat, or casting spells that require saving throws, rather than attack rolls.

Erik42

First Post
Good things happen on natural 20's bad things happen on a natural 1. I've always played that way and probably always will. For the natural one, it is usually nothing terrible; the point is not to punish the PCs but add some color and realism to the game. Fights are awkward things in which a lot can go wrong. Maybe the PC slips and rights themselves with no harm done. Depending on the terrain, they might go down entirely. Their weapon may be nicked or notched, requiring some repair the next time they are in town. They could drop the weapon. Lots can happen. I don't use a table or rely on the dice generally to determine the result, but will pick something appropriate based on the circumstance. Again, this is not something punitive; I want my PCs to well, but be challenged while enjoying a good story.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads