Critical Role Critical Role’s 7-hour Campaign Finale

It’s not the last of Critical Role (obviously) but it is the end of their second campaign this Thursday. And it’s 7 hours long! Critical Role’s highly successful second campaign -- The Mighty Nein -- premiered over three years ago and has built up over 530 hours of adventures, including over 440 villains conquered and over 100 hours of battles (source: CritRoleStats), and this Thursday...

It’s not the last of Critical Role (obviously) but it is the end of their second campaign this Thursday. And it’s 7 hours long!

866A438C-9CA0-4A2E-9BCF-7CA4EEBCC8EB.png

Critical Role’s highly successful second campaign -- The Mighty Nein -- premiered over three years ago and has built up over 530 hours of adventures, including over 440 villains conquered and over 100 hours of battles (source: CritRoleStats), and this Thursday, June 3, the epic saga of Critical Role’s second campaign is set to embark on its final adventure.

Since the launch of the campaign on January 11, 2018, Critical Role has chronicled the story of Jester Lavorre (Laura Bailey), Yasha Nydoorin (Ashley Johnson), Caleb Widogast (Liam O’Brien), Beauregard "Beau" Lionett (Marisha Ray), Nott the Brave/Veth Brenatto (Sam Riegel), Fjord (Travis Willingham), Mollymauk "Molly" Tealeaf and Caduceus Clay (both played by Taliesin Jaffe) of The Mighty Nein as they explored Wildemount, formed relationships, spat in the face of death and buried allies, realized that not all goblins are as they seem, discovered the power a friendly cupcake (sprinkled with some Dust of Deliciousness) can have in befriending powerful foes, and showcased the resiliency one can have in the face of insurmountable odds time and time again.

Experience the final chapter of The Mighty Nein as Critical Role concludes the legend of this ragtag group of miscreants that millions across the globe have come to know and love. How will their journey end and what’s next from the world of Critical Role? Tune in to find out!

The final episode of Critical Role’s Campaign 2: The Mighty Nein airs this Thursday, June 3 2021 at 7PM PST simultaneously on Twitch (twitch.tv/criticalrole) and YouTube (youtube.com/criticalrole), with the replayable VOD of the show available on Critical Role’s YouTube channel the following Monday.

Critters…. How do you want to do this?

I would wonder where I should start? As not actually playing, maybe that could be an alternative...

Edit: lol @ clockwork orange

shutterstock_5885876aa.jpg

It's just like a massive time investment.
I'd recommend campaign 2

Campaign 1 is really rough for the first couple dozen episodes. Bad mikes, hand drawn maps, limited introductions
Campaign 1 might be easier when you're attached to the performers
Or wait until the cartoon comes out and watch the show from where that leaves off

I pla
I don't understand the appeal of watching other people play videogames, which many in Gen Z find riveting, but I think a well done actual play D&D game with professional performers, like Critical Role, Dimension 20, Not Another D&D Podcast or Nerd Poker all are*, gives you both an entertaining story (the Hot Boy Summer arc in Not Another D&D Podcast was one of the funniest entertainments I consumed during the pandemic) and, often, it works as great D&D advice. I've learned quite a bit from all the above shows, even if the advice was "ooh, don't fall into that particular DMing trap."

* One might put The Adventure Zone in here as well, but as an actual play, it's pretty lacking. Top notch as entertainment, though.
I play street fighter 5, and seeing some professional players in how they use their techniques, changing up their tactics, and even just their split second reactions can be pretty impressive.

You have to be familiar with a game though to really appreciate it I think.

Critical Role's second season brought so much joy to me through many hard times. From learning to walk again after surviving a heart attack and stroke that left me in a coma back in 2018, through the isolation of the pandemic of 2020, I've watched every episode! I can't wait to see what kind of characters they all create and foes they'll face in the 3rd season!
Me too. It helped me get my mind of things when I was on chemo and too nauseated to sleep.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
No. Me too.

I love seeing some of the shorts, Sam's advert intros, matt's NPCs, etc, but the sessions are a huge time investment even as a podcast.

I'd love a 20 minute per session edited highlight
They are doing a recap series. No idea how far along they are.

jgsugden

Legend
I'd recommend campaign 2

Campaign 1 is really rough for the first couple dozen episodes. Bad mikes, hand drawn maps, limited introductions
Campaign 1 might be easier when you're attached to the performers
Or wait until the cartoon comes out and watch the show from where that leaves off
There will be significant differences between the streaming show and the animated series - as significant as the difference between Game of Thrones the Books, and Song of Ice and Fire the Book Series that will never end.

I recommend doing it just as those that were there from the start did - take it from the beginning. Watch the 'story so far' mini shorts for each character that introduces them, and then pick up and expect a few growing pains. It is still well worth listening to as a background entertainment - they'll pull your focus in when it is really worth it.

There will be significant differences between the streaming show and the animated series - as significant as the difference between Game of Thrones the Books, and Song of Ice and Fire the Book Series that will never end.

I recommend doing it just as those that were there from the start did - take it from the beginning. Watch the 'story so far' mini shorts for each character that introduces them, and then pick up and expect a few growing pains. It is still well worth listening to as a background entertainment - they'll pull your focus in when it is really worth it.
There will be differences in the cartoon but it's a way to learn the characters and their voices and personalities
And the show will cover the Briarwood Arc, so you can jump into C1 after that, when the production quality is much higher

Try rewatching the first 3-4 episodes. They're rough and the audio is pretty terrible

Matchstick

Adventurer
I usually recommend people start C1 at episode 28. Sure they miss a little bit, but those first 27 episodes aren't going anywhere, and it's not like the plot can't be figured out. Plus things by that time have settled down tech-wise, and of course that's the first episode with the smaller group (and the difference in attitude is palpable).

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
There will be differences in the cartoon but it's a way to learn the characters and their voices and personalities
And the show will cover the Briarwood Arc, so you can jump into C1 after that, when the production quality is much higher

Try rewatching the first 3-4 episodes. They're rough and the audio is pretty terrible
I think the benefits of starting at the beginning out weigh what I feel are negligible problems. I like the home game feel.

Remove ads

Remove ads