Critical Role Announces Publishing Company

The first game will be a board/card game called Uk’otoa. This will be followed by role playing game products including Syndicult, “an original modern magic roleplaying game designed by Matthew Mercer in which mob families jealously guard secrets and battle it out for power on the city streets.”...

79447F78-A551-4F43-AB0B-E82916284924.jpeg

The first game will be a board/card game called Uk’otoa. This will be followed by role playing game products including Syndicult, “an original modern magic roleplaying game designed by Matthew Mercer in which mob families jealously guard secrets and battle it out for power on the city streets.”

7D7929A6-93C6-43A7-9933-3703951D8BF7.jpeg

I’ve long wondered whether there might one day be the official Critical Role role playing game, and whether CR's massive influence could make a dent in WotC, the traditional 800lb gorilla.

Dire Bare

Legend
Explorer's Guide to Wildemount was an Amazon bestseller. I don't know how well the Tal'dorei Campaign Setting did, but based on how well EGtW did, I would say that Critical Role has a "fanbase that buys products."
Not trying to discount the influence and fanbase of CR, but . . .

Some folks bought the Wildemount book because it's a Critical Role book. Some folks purchased it because it was a D&D book. Of course, some purchased it because it was both!

So, gauging the purchasing power of CR fans on that book is iffy . . . . but, there's no doubt that CR is popular, successful, and is moving product!

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Not trying to discount the influence and fanbase of CR, but . . .

Some folks bought the Wildemount book because it's a Critical Role book. Some folks purchased it because it was a D&D book. Of course, some purchased it because it was both!

So, gauging the purchasing power of CR fans on that book is iffy . . . . but, there's no doubt that CR is popular, successful, and is moving product!
I bought it because it was a Critical Role D&D book, so I bought it for both reasons.
Also, this:
I would have thought their 11m Kickstarter would convince that they have a "fanbase that buys products". Funko-Pop wouldn't have made the Vox Machina figures if they didn't.

Explorer's Guide to Wildemount was an Amazon bestseller. I don't know how well the Tal'dorei Campaign Setting did, but based on how well EGtW did, I would say that Critical Role has a "fanbase that buys products."
To say nothing of the fact that most any new spiffy product they put up on their own online store generally sells out within hours on the first day.

Preorders for their Funko Pop line? Out of stock the first day.
$100 McFarlane Toys Mollymauk statue? First day.
Recently put up a $75 Vax'ildan cloak that was available in sizes from XS all the way to 6XL? Every. Single. Size. Sold out.

Critters spend money. Trust me.

Remove ads

Remove ads