Critical Role Critical Role Campaign 2

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
There were times when Matt's descriptions were so provoking, I was almost there with them. He got the timing just about right. Any more lengthy descriptions from him and it would have been too much about him and not the players. But you could tell he was desperate to get the feel of the story out. And he did.

I do think that Matt does an excellent job of scene setting. His language is decorative yet efficient. I strive to attain his level of skill in that department!

5ekyu

Hero
I thought it was a fun show and am glad to be in on this one from the start.

far more importantly, i am stealing several things from it for my current game!!!

Might even credit them with an NPC named Mercer (and the rest as time goes on.)

:)

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I thought it was a fun show and am glad to be in on this one from the start.

far more importantly, i am stealing several things from it for my current game!!!

Might even credit them with an NPC named Mercer (and the rest as time goes on.)

:)

Or a Faction: The Mercer's

5ekyu

Hero
Or a Faction: The Mercer's

Well pulled this trigger - first of many - and introduced a character named Mercer tonight and i managed to get him to "the PCs want to kill him really really bad but so far have reasons no to" in an amazingly short time with no hostile acts against the PCs at all - so basically he is an anti-Mercer.

it was touch and go though when the "monster" offered a deal to cut back on its hunting of innocents if the PCs agreed to provide their own choices of victims. had the anti-mercer actually been with them at that moment, I fear he would not have made it through the run.

however, i have decided his sister, also Mercer will be a far more sympathetic character.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Well pulled this trigger - first of many - and introduced a character named Mercer tonight and i managed to get him to "the PCs want to kill him really really bad but so far have reasons no to" in an amazingly short time with no hostile acts against the PCs at all - so basically he is an anti-Mercer.

it was touch and go though when the "monster" offered a deal to cut back on its hunting of innocents if the PCs agreed to provide their own choices of victims. had the anti-mercer actually been with them at that moment, I fear he would not have made it through the run.

however, i have decided his sister, also Mercer will be a far more sympathetic character.

Next NPC: Bailey.

I thought the new characters were great - I liked that all the players really changed up from their prior characters.

The setting, ambiance and the action (by the end of the session) were really good.

My one quibble was how Matt started the cast in 3 different groups. This means for the first hour (at least) 2/3rds of the cast were just sitting around staring at the camera.

I often point DMs looking for inspiration to Critical Role (just tell them to stream an episode or two) because Matt is such an amazing DM and the players are all so game/into it. But in this case, I would tell anyone starting a new group/game to do the exact opposite of the way he ran it here.
This group is not new and very comfortable with each other - so it worked fine, but in a new group with new players - that's a good way to get very bored/very annoyed players.
Each sub group had run some sort of off camera mini adventure with Matt. So this was not episode one for them. So his method would work if you did the minis as well I think.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Each sub group had run some sort of off camera mini adventure with Matt. So this was not episode one for them. So his method would work if you did the minis as well I think.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Yeah I saw that Laura's cleric was Level 2, which surprised me, but what you say above explains that.

Remove ads