Critical Role Critical Role Campaign 3 Discussion (SPOILERS)

So...

The players just got the tar kicked out of them harder than they ever have on the show. Seven PCs versus one legendary opponent that had both Echo Knight and Psi Warrior class features. Matt used both Echo Swap and Action Surge to down Liam's character, autocrit and kill him. Brutal. By the end two characters are dead and another has two failed death saves.
An explosion strong enough to shatter windows should tick off that final death save on Laudna. My guess? Otahan and Imogen will leave and let the other players pick up the pieces. They limp back to Eshteross, get money for returning Treshi, and pay for raise dead spells. So Imogen is the one at risk of being permanently gone.

jgsugden

Legend
In initiative order:
Otohan - described as weaker, but that could be anything.
Orym - Dead.
Ashton - I think he left the battlefield because Matt skipped him in initiative after he 'booked'.
Chetney - 3 hp (that last blast theoretically could have damaged him)
Imogen - Just gave into her Aberrant Nature.
Fearne - Dead.
Laundna - Unconcious with 2 failed death saves (with potentially having just been damaged for an auto 3rd fail - probably not, but she is right after Laudna in initiative order with Fearne dead so - in theory - she is one death save from death (45% chance die, 25% chance she gets up (Hollow One), 30% chance she gets another round - and FCG may be able to spare her from dying, but it would require him to expose himself if Otohan is still there.).
FCG - I don't think he is that woulned, but doesn't have much in the tank, especially if he intends to revivify one of the downed PCs.

This could have been a TPK - and in my mind it should have been. The PCs made some bad choices in there and had bad luck against a tough enemy. If that is not a TPK, then there is no credibility in the risk of a TPK.

OB1

Jedi Master
@jgsugden
I'd say Ashton booking out shows just how real the threat of TPK was in that combat. But I do hope the party learns the right lesson from this fight. They've been overly cautious in combat since Molly's death back in C2, and that's a recipe for disaster against a tough opponent. Had they gone into full on attack mode from the start, they probably would have driven Otahan to flee.

Now, I think there is at least a 50/50 chance that Orym, Chetney, Fearne, and Laudna are dead, with Imogen becoming an NPC and FCG possibly going full 'original programing' murder-bot (also as an NPC), leaving Ashton to carry on the narrative thru line of the campaign with all new characters. Thursday is going to be wild.

jgsugden

Legend
@jgsugden
...Now, I think there is at least a 50/50 chance that Orym, Chetney, Fearne, and Laudna are dead, with Imogen becoming an NPC and FCG possibly going full 'original programing' murder-bot (also as an NPC), leaving Ashton to carry on the narrative thru line of the campaign with all new characters. Thursday is going to be wild.
I'd put the odds of that at about 1%. If that were going to happen, Matt would have extended 5 more minutes and done it. I think it is more likely that Otohan and Imogen disappear, Laudna makes her death save, FCG revives her, FCG brings Fearne back, Fearne brings Orym back, Ashton slinks back, and they make a Chetney humping something joke.

pogre

Legend
I had not watched the show much and just happened to tune in this past Thursday. Loved it! Re-invigorated the whole thing from my point of view. I don't know if I can stay up late again to watch it all Thursday again, but I am looking forward to finding out what happens.

I actually thought I was completely done watching and following Crit Role and now this! Kudos to the DM for not pulling too many punches!

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
I'd put the odds of that at about 1%. If that were going to happen, Matt would have extended 5 more minutes and done it. I think it is more likely that Otohan and Imogen disappear, Laudna makes her death save, FCG revives her, FCG brings Fearne back, Fearne brings Orym back, Ashton slinks back, and they make a Chetney humping something joke.[/spoiler
I'd put the odds of that at about 1%. If that were going to happen, Matt would have extended 5 more minutes and done it. I think it is more likely that Otohan and Imogen disappear, Laudna makes her death save, FCG revives her, FCG brings Fearne back, Fearne brings Orym back, Ashton slinks back, and they make a Chetney humping something joke.
Im not sure Fearn can use Revivify at all unless they are using the optional additional spells druid feature. Second problem would be having more than one diamond. I know FCG has at least one since he said he can cast one Revivify only. I expect it to be a hard choice to choose which char to Revivify on FCG’s part but we will see how it goes soon lol.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer

Im not sure Fearn can use Revivify at all unless they are using the optional additional spells druid feature. Second problem would be having more than one diamond. I know FCG has at least one since he said he can cast one Revivify only. I expect it to be a hard choice to choose which char to Revivify on FCG’s part but we will see how it goes soon lol.
Wildfire Druids always have Revivify prepared.

Wildfire Druids always have Revivify prepared.
This. And they have three 100gp diamonds looted from Ira's workshop, in addition to the diamond FCG bought a while back. So they are good for two casts if Fearne has at least one 3+ slot remaining.

The REAL funny part is if Imogen vanishes. She has the portable hole with Treshi in it.

Remove ads