Critical Role Critical Role Campaign 3 Discussion (SPOILERS)

I've only ever seen the odd clip of critical role before, so I figured I'd try jumping in at the beginning of the new campaign while I had the chance. I'm just watching it on YouTube when it comes out the following week after the live stream.

With nothing really to compare it to, (in terms of previous campaigns) I really enjoyed the first episode. Hopefully I can find a spare 4+ hours per week to keep up with the show going forward.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
The way they were talking up the new set, I thought we'd see a screen projection of the city and other images - but everything was pretty low key! Which mostly works for me, I find too much technology a distraction.
I agree. I was a bit apprehensive that they'd throw projector elements at us to showcase it, but I really enjoyed how subtle and moody it was. The way they currently used it is actually something I'd enjoy having at my table.
Hopefully I can find a spare 4+ hours per week to keep up with the show going forward.
I knock about half the episode just by having it play while I'm doing the dishes. That leaves me about two hours to watch somewhere in my week.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I agree. I was a bit apprehensive that they'd throw projector elements at us to showcase it, but I really enjoyed how subtle and moody it was. The way they currently used it is actually something I'd enjoy having at my table.
I expected something pretty much like what we got from the way Matt talked about it being the realization of a concept he came up with after a class about immersive multimedia experiences, and the fact that it was designed by someone who works on theme parks. Such things are meant to be atmospheric, immersive, and apparently seamless. Using the projectors to display key art would be kind of the opposite of that.

Last edited:

Bolares

Hero
I've only ever seen the odd clip of critical role before, so I figured I'd try jumping in at the beginning of the new campaign while I had the chance. I'm just watching it on YouTube when it comes out the following week after the live stream.

With nothing really to compare it to, (in terms of previous campaigns) I really enjoyed the first episode. Hopefully I can find a spare 4+ hours per week to keep up with the show going forward.
They will do 3 weeks per month in this campaign so even if you fall behind there will be more chances to catch up

Woah, damn, you must have binged the hell out of campaign 2!
I had it pretty constantly on the background when I was alone and doing other things and such. I did miss stuff but I payed more attention as time went on, especially towards the end.

I am a pretty bad binger, and I really only see this having been possible because of lockdown; I'm in a strange place right now cause of it.

Loved the first episode. Thought Ashley had some of her best roleplaying

It’s a very different setting from campaign 1&2 with more technology, elephant people (put me down for Travis playing one and he’s angry)

are the robots etc mentioned in the new source book

BRayne

Adventurer
Loved the first episode. Thought Ashley had some of her best roleplaying

It’s a very different setting from campaign 1&2 with more technology, elephant people (put me down for Travis playing one and he’s angry)

are the robots etc mentioned in the new source book

As it stands there isn't a new source book set beyond what appears in EGtW so whatever time period Aeormatons start to return in shortly thereafter is separate

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Finished the first episode. Thought it was pretty good! Some notes;

• Laudna, FCG and Betrand are the best characters. They emote, and just contrast well with everyone. A lot of acting here, but great improv as well. Travis and Sam are just so good in general, but this is Marisha's best work ever. I do agree that Betrand is probably temporary, and may become one-note in the future, but so far the "old man bravado adventurer" works great.
  • Imogen and Fearne are pretty good. Neither took up much spotlight this episode, though Fearne is pretty great in EXU. Ashley seeming to do a lot more effort into RP which was somewhat lacking in previous campaigns (though she really should learn her mechanics before the game). Laura is possibly the best actor at the table so I'm sure Imogen will eventually be top-tier.
  • Orym and Ashton... are both so boring. Ashton feels like another variation of "aloof" which after Mollymauk and Caducaeus is just boring. I've never been super impressed by Taleisen in general, just my opinion. I also understand that Liam doesn't want a central character with Orym, but I can see the tension between him wanting to be central but fighting against playing a PC who really is a generic PC.
  • Mercer is of course great, but holy smokes WAY TOO BIG LOREDUMP right at the beginning of the episode. Just impossible to absorb it all. Should have focused entirely on the city their actually in, save the rest for when they actually go to those places!

Far stronger start than Campaign 1 (which just dropped in with no context). The party doesn't quite mesh as well off the bat as they did in Campaign 2, but I think the episode overall is stronger here in C3.

Also, this has convinced me to return to EXU. On episode 4 now, and forgot how good the ending of episode 3 was!

Remove ads