• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical Role Critical Role removes hundreds of YouTube videos and podcast episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
In a weird coincidence, Ashley’s missed the most episodes, so if something comes up on her end, it will be the least damaging to remove her episodes. Though it’s still a lot. Most of C1, about 1/3 of C2, and almost all of C3. Poof. Gone.

I’m honestly surprised it’s been this long and there’s only two problems. I keep expecting one of the on-air couples to break up and it to destroy the show. Matt and Marisha. Travis and Laura. Liam and Sam.

As a fan I hope it never happens. But money brings out the worst of most people.

There's a difference between removing the supplementary shows BFW was on and deleting their bread-and-butter shows, which I can't imagine they'd ever do. The Orion Acaba episodes are all still there.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Hasn't she asked people not to talk about it?

No. Neither she nor anyone from CR has said anything whatsoever publicly about it.

It's a reasonable assumption that she would rather it had not become public, but the "Ashley said don't talk about it" thing isn't based on any actual statement she made.

MGibster

Legend
What bothers me is that you don't seem to be looking at the situation from Ashley Johnson's point of view, and seem entirely focused on others' right to access CR's content.
Many years ago, as an undergraduate, I had to take an Ethics & Morality course, and when looking at a situation, one of the first things you do is identify the stakeholders and factor their interest into your decision. This doesn't imply that all stakeholders are equal of course. I haven't focused discussing this from Johnson's point of view because I think that's already been thoroughly covered here.
The CR team have chosen to protect their friend and colleague, and to take away her abusers's platform, at a significant financial cost to themselves. The content belongs to them, not to anyone else, and if they wish to remove it, that is their right. I also think it is a morally laudable move.
I think you missed the part where I acknowledged CR was within their rights to pull their content. That's not in question here. And like I said earlier, whether you think it was the right thing to do or not, it still sucks for the people who might want to watch that content. Can you at least acknowledge that even if you think pulling the content was the right thing to do?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They made lot of content unavailable. Whether doing so was justified or not, that sucks for fans who might want to watch that content.

"It sucks for the fans" often comes up in such discussions. I find it to be a hefty failure of perspective.
Domestic abuse sucks way, way worse than fans not being able to go and watch back-catalog content.

781096.jpg

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'd say they haven't really ruined anything. They've just further distanced themselves from someone they should be distant from.
Were I inclined to watch Critical Role, I would not watch any of the seasons with removed content. The gaps in the story would bug the crap out of me. Those stories would be ruined for me.

Mercer: (end of session) "As you make your way through the winding depths you come to the cavern lair of the Behemoth!"
Mercer: (next session available) "You sit at the tavern table sipping your ale. The bard at the next table over loudly says, "That was a sheep!""

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Were I inclined to watch Critical Role, I would not watch any of the seasons with removed content. The gaps in the story would bug the crap out of me. Those stories would be ruined for me.

Mercer: (end of session) "As you make your way through the winding depths you come to the cavern lair of the Behemoth!"
Mercer: (next session available) "You sit at the tavern table sipping your ale. The bard at the next table over loudly says, "That was a sheep!""
There are no gaps. The shows that were pulled were supporting material, like interviews with the cast about the show, etc.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don't think most people have career-destroying dirty laundry.
On the level of what this guy did? I agree, I don't think most people do that kind of stuff. But on a level where people have lost their jobs, which includes a racist or sexist comment from the past resurfacing? I think it would affect a lot more people than you realize. Christ, if there were recording devices in the 80s that caught teenage me making jokes and comments about certain groups of people? Yikes. I was clearly in the wrong, and grew up in and around bigoted people, so I made racist and bigoted jokes and comments. It wasn't until my early-mid 20s when I got into the world where I started to question all of those horrible beliefs. I am definitely not proud of my behavior during my youth and early 20s.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
There are no gaps. The shows that were pulled were supporting material, like interviews with the cast about the show, etc.
Well okay then. I read in articles that he also played in episodes, so I figured those were pulled as well. If it's all just supporting stuff and the story is unbroken, then that's different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads