Critical Role Critical Role show kickstarter update: Backers have to get Amazon prime to get the show

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Right and the fact that they were able to arrange pre-release of a couple episodes for pre-release parties just for backers, something that I've never heard of being done before for any Netflix and Amazon show, show that they care about their fans and backers. As backer of many Kickstarters over the years, there was nothing "scummy" about how any of this was handled.
What about update #23? That's... not what is happening is it?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Well... it kind of is. It is not what people tought it meant at the time, but if you read update #23, that's exactly what is happening now. They never said you could see it without an Amazon account
A: if you say something that people interpret as A, but really meant B, and you never correct them... that's lying by misdirection.

B: As explained above by others, it is not free. Creating a trial account is not free.

Bolares

Hero
So, there's a bunch of people here who say it was perfectly clear. You do not.

If I go to that kickstarter page and read it, what should I see that I will not?
In hindsight yeah, they are doing exactly what update 23 said they would do. But at the time a lot of people got from it that they wouldn't need Amazon accounts, they would somehow receive either the episode or a link. That's where I say they could be more clear about.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
What about update #23? That's... not what is happening is it?
Yes, that's what is happening. Why? Am I missing something?

From that update:

Our lovely Kickstarter backers (hey, that’s YOU!) will still have an opportunity to watch the two-part special that kicks off the series before anyone else AND because you’re a backer, you'll be able to access the first season for free. We’re still working out all of the logistical details and should have an update around how all of this will work in late 2020.

Remove ads