Critical Role Critical Role show kickstarter update: Backers have to get Amazon prime to get the show

Amrûnril

Adventurer
I think there are two forms of complaints, that are, to some degree, being conflated with one another.

The first is frustration with backers not receiving a permanent/owned copy of the series. While this is something that's certainly reasonable to want, it's also something that was never advertised as a Kickstarter reward.

The second is frustration with needing Amazon Prime to view the series. Here I think there's a much stronger case that the CR team is in the wrong. The opportunity to view the series was advertised to Kickstarter backers, and while CR seems to think the availability of the show through a free trial fulfills this, the free trial isn't actually free- it requires providing financial information and precludes using that free trial for some other purpose.

They also arranged with Amazon for backers to sign up for pre-screenings before general release.
Yes, but only for the first 2 episodes, whereas the Kickstarter funded the show through the Briarwood arc.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'd be demanding a refund if I had backed this. What a slimey move!
Not unless you were illiterate and didn't understand what you were backing. As a backer it was always clear what I was backing. I was not placing a pre-order for the show and that was never a backer reward. You may think it is dumb to throw money to support the creation of a show that I'm not going to get a copy to own out of it, but then you probably wouldn't fund many Kickstarters, especially this one. Which you didn't. No need to get upset on my behalf. I'm happy the bit of money I threw at this helped in a small way to see this get made.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I was under the impression that backers got to see the whole show early.

As long as that wasn't the case being promised, I don't really see a problem. Not every kickstarter offers free product. It's great when they do, but I'm not mad I didn't get any of that dude's potato salad.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I think there are two forms of complaints, that are, to some degree, being conflated with one another.

The first is frustration with backers not receiving a permanent/owned copy of the series. While this is something that's certainly reasonable to want, it's also something that was never advertised as a Kickstarter reward.

The second is frustration with needing Amazon Prime to view the series. Here I think there's a much stronger case that the CR team is in the wrong. The opportunity to view the series was advertised to Kickstarter backers, and while CR seems to think the availability of the show through a free trial fulfills this, the free trial isn't actually free- it requires providing financial information and precludes using that free trial for some other purpose.

Yes, but only for the first 2 episodes, whereas the Kickstarter funded the show through the Briarwood arc.

Since the kickstarter NEVER promised free access to the (full) show, they're not doing anything wrong - merely inconvenient.

The kickstarter basically promised knick-knacks for the privilege of funding the show - that's all.

The show got picked up by a streaming platform - and most of those have a cost to subscribe. Certainly any platform that would have picked this up (Netflix or HBOMax for ex.) would also expect a subscription to watch.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Sorry for responding to you post in reverse and breaking it up a bit, but here's how I think about it.

Sure, but its just a nice gesture for a pre-release party. It is not something I as a backer ever expected. Given my timezone, I'll probably just RSVP for the VOD.

I mean when I give to, say, PBS, I don't expect to get early access to the shows.

I'm sure there are contractual and logistical reasons why it is not good for them, or they just can't, give early access to the entire series. Personally, I don't really understand anyone upset that they don't get early access.

Agreed.

Well, okay, I can see the point about having to enter a credit card to create an account. But as a backer, having this picked up by Amazon or Netflix was the best result. I backed it because I wanted to support something like this getting made and now there is a good chance that more than one season will be made and the creators will have the funds to create more content that there is a good chance I'll enjoy.

I am sure there are some people that backed this that will be upset enough to never support Critical Role again, but I think the number is small and insignificant compared to audience that the Amazon deal will bring.

darjr

I crit!
Since the kickstarter NEVER promised free access to the (full) show, they're not doing anything wrong - merely inconvenient.

The kickstarter basically promised knick-knacks for the privilege of funding the show - that's all.

The show got picked up by a streaming platform - and most of those have a cost to subscribe. Certainly any platform that would have picked this up (Netflix or HBOMax for ex.) would also expect a subscription to watch.
I dint think the complaint was about the full show.

I’ll read it again.

Bolares

Hero

This. BUT they were never really clear about that. They even said backers would get to see it sooner. That is not the same as saying backers would get to see it for free, but can cause the confusion.

Remove ads