Critical Role Critical Role's new set

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
A Critical Role Land would be rad, and honestly even beyond selling tickets and such, hosting events for various gaming companies and groups would probably be something they could make profitable.

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I too am glad that RPGs have reached such a level that this type of space can be practical, at least for the pinnacle of the professionals

Mort

Legend
Supporter
My one fear is that the "gizmos" detract instead of enhance the fun of the game.

It almost happened at my table. I was using an LCD display (back in the good ole in person days - coming back soon) for maps, handouts, combats etc. But aside from technical glitches, players just didn't engage with the screen as much as they did with paper, the battle mat etc. We went back to it (for the most part).

They seem to have a pretty good handle on things, so I doubt it here (plus they're not going to be live so if there are "growing pains" we're not likely to see them).

Just a thought.

Bolares

Hero
My one fear is that the "gizmos" detract instead of enhance the fun of the game.

It almost happened at my table. I was using an LCD display (back in the good ole in person days - coming back soon) for maps, handouts, combats etc. But aside from technical glitches, players just didn't engage with the screen as much as they did with paper, the battle mat etc. We went back to it (for the most part).

They seem to have a pretty good handle on things, so I doubt it here (plus they're not going to be live so if there are "growing pains" we're not likely to see them).

Just a thought.
I use a tv on the wall on my back sometimes for maps (not battlemaps), handouts and to show monster, npc and location art. It was really helpfull in ToA for hexcrawling through chult. I put the map on roll20 and went on to clear hexes as they traveled through them. It also halped me hid information from them when they were lost. I could track which hex they really were, while they only saw were they thought they were.

Me explaining to my accountant that gaming supplies are a business expense:

Schitts Creek David GIF

But it is an amazing set to be sure.

And it's a business expense! Writing off gaming on your taxes would be awesome.

Same. Little Ralif, heck, even 30-year old Ralif, could not have imagined what was to come for the hobby, and how awesome it would be.

Still amazes me and makes me feel good to see the hobby reaching such heights of popularity and acceptance.

MarkB

Legend
The projectors seem to be more for providing mood backdrops to the 'tavern' set. But while I'm sure they won't be moving away from 3D terrain, I wouldn't be surprised if they could use projection to enhance it.

Imagine laying out your base terrain as a projection, including some animated elements - a flowing stream, flickering torches etc. - and then placing the 3D terrain elements on top of it.

If they got really advanced, they could even project area-effects visually onto the terrain, and have them move with the characters.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The projectors seem to be more for providing mood backdrops to the 'tavern' set. But while I'm sure they won't be moving away from 3D terrain, I wouldn't be surprised if they could use projection to enhance it.

Imagine laying out your base terrain as a projection, including some animated elements - a flowing stream, flickering torches etc. - and then placing the 3D terrain elements on top of it.

If they got really advanced, they could even project area-effects visually onto the terrain, and have them move with the characters.
Yeah to me it sounds like they're going to be doing a lot of practical/projection effects for stuff like that. I may finally watch Taliesin's one shot and see what he did with a much more basic setup.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases