Critical Role Critical Role's New Show - Exandria Unlimited!

Critical Role is launching a new 8-week D&D 5E campaign on June 24th called Exandria Unlimited. "Exandria Unlimited is the newest eight episode mini-campaign brought to you by, and existing within, the same world as Critical Role. Following a fresh-faced and freshly formed crew of characters, this adventure begins in Emon, a city still recovering from the scars of the Chroma Conclave attack...

Critical Role is launching a new 8-week D&D 5E campaign on June 24th called Exandria Unlimited.

ExandriaUnlimited_FullCast_ByHeirlumePhotography_72dpi_CR_01_800.jpg

"Exandria Unlimited is the newest eight episode mini-campaign brought to you by, and existing within, the same world as Critical Role. Following a fresh-faced and freshly formed crew of characters, this adventure begins in Emon, a city still recovering from the scars of the Chroma Conclave attack nearly 30 years later."

The show features Matt Mercer (as a player not DM), Aabria Iyenger (who will be the DM for this show), Aimee Carrero (who currently plays She-Ra), Robbie Daymond (voice of Marvel's animated Spider-man), Ashley Johnson (co-founder of Critical Role), and Liam O'Brien (also from the main Critical Role show).

I am so hyped for this!

Sketchpad

Explorer
I don't like that Private Messages has changed to Dungeon Masters. Whenever I see DM I am often initially confused about why people are talking about D&D for a few seconds until my brain catches up.

I hear you there. Whenever a friend asks me to DM them, I typically start a message with "You are alone in the dungeon. Drips of water can be heard in the distance while a breeze oozes around the room. You see a passage to the east, and a door in front of you. You think for a moment and remember that you need to get some milk and hamburger while out. What do you do?" ;)

Oofta

Legend
In the world of civil engineering, the "DM" is the project's Design Manager. So I can relate to the confusion...it's been years, and my brain still glitches for a second or two whenever someone asks me to "check with the DM about the tunnel."
Well there could be anything in that tunnel. Trolls, dragons or even the dreaded gelatinous cube! Of course we need to check with the DM. :p

hopeless

Adventurer
You're confronted by someone who looks like an elven Gwendoline Christie.
"Okay, who moved my shrine?" she asks you glancing around the cavern.
Behind her is an ornate little shrine of partly asian design.
Its now you notice the growing roots of the tree that extend into the ceiling above where a hole shows the glimmer of moonlight in the open skies above it.
She sighs turning to face the shrine she extends her hand and clicks two of her fingers.
In response a portal opens and beyond her you can see the eternal summer of the Feywild surrounding what looks like the remains of a small temple.
She walks through.
What do you want to do?

jgsugden

Legend
If a game refers to their game master as the Dungeon Master, WotC would throw a fit. If someone using a system with a Game Master role was live streaming and calling themself the Dungeon Master, WotC would address it. Anyone live streaming D&D and using the term while playing any edition of D&D is going to be ok unless their stream is offensive.

Also, there are a lot of other videos out there with dungeon masters ... but the context is quite different.
Why (would anyone leave Critical Role)? They are all friends and business partners - why would you think someone is leaving? And what makes you think it would be Sam?

Seems like you are kind of wildly speculating here based on ... I’m not sure what ...
The lack of stating they'll all be back for Season 3 after we see a 'change in cast' in the form of EXU, as well as at any point before it, is a little suspicious. Not terribly, but a little. However, Sam, specifically, has shown signs of fatigue and conflicting interests.

Don't get me wrong: The man has had fun at the game, but of all the people there, he has been the one that treated it most like a professional engagement. He makes character decisions in the game to serve the campaign story more than to play his character's story. He's discussed this on Talks Machina, and you can see it on stream when he holds back. He looked disappointed when Veth's healing curse was discovered before it killed Veth, for example.

Additionally, he has a career out there that is in conflict with Critical Role's time demands in a different way than the rest, and a home life that he clearly values and wants to focus on. He has had more business side activity than the others on Critical Role in his industry. He talks about family a lot, and Veth's storylines seemed to hit real close to home. Telling a story in which a parent does something they want to do with their friends at the expense of their family at home - that included the death of a child as a result of the parent's choices - was not exactly motivation for him to continue.

I'm not saying it is a done deal, or that it would be forever, but I could see Sam not starting with the group at the start of Campaign 3. I could also see it for a few of the others as they take a break to focus on other issues.

We should consider that at the core, this is still a D&D game. Many players need to take a break at times, especially when other parts of life take up more of your time, but sometimes just because you need a break from gaming.
So, does "Unlimited" refer to the number of PCs? Because eight episodes sounds limited to me.
This is going to be the first of a number of "beta" games. I'm betting it is limited so that they can evolve what they're doing for the future. Whether some of these people may replace existing players in Season 3, or if they'll have a beta game that is entirely new people that runs for a full length, or something else, this is the trial run. There will be more EXU in the future. I think any game not run by Matt and taking place in Exandria will get the label of EXU.

fba827

Adventurer
official terminology aside, to non gamers or novice gamers, I would argue that game master is a much more approachable term than dungeon master.

Anyway that aside, I’m interested in this more so because it is a predefined duration. I never got far in other critical l role shows beyond a cursory episode or two because it was an uncertain time commitment, and so this way I can say I know I’ll be in it for the 8 depisodes.

anyone know if they will podcast this ?
(I would presume yes like the other series but behind the scenes business stuff could be different)

jgsugden

Legend
They will podcast it, with the podcasts available the Thursday following the video.

Regarding time commitment - I listened in the car, on mass transit, and when doing the few parts of my job that are brainless things in queue to be automated. I've listened to most of campaign 2 twice, and campaign 1 twice. I only stop to focus on it in depth at key moments - and usually there to study how Matt built the suspense, changed the mood, dropped hints, dealt with a player problem, etc... It is not exactly something you need to dial in on every moment.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Well there could be anything in that tunnel. Trolls, dragons or even the dreaded gelatinous cube! Of course we need to check with the DM. :p
Nah, it's never anything that interesting. It's usually a clearance issue (because the tunnel is like 2 cm too narrow) or a budget issue (because building a tunnel is super-expensive).

jgsugden

Legend
Nah, it's never anything that interesting. It's usually a clearance issue (because the tunnel is like 2 cm too narrow) or a budget issue (because building a tunnel is super-expensive).
But what fell sorcery narrowed the tunnel? And did they explore cost savings for tunnel construction via charming a purple worm, using disintegrate, hiring a few apprentices with mold earth, or the use of a Sphere of Annihilation?

Remove ads

Remove ads