Critical Role Critical Role's New Show - Exandria Unlimited!

Critical Role is launching a new 8-week D&D 5E campaign on June 24th called Exandria Unlimited. "Exandria Unlimited is the newest eight episode mini-campaign brought to you by, and existing within, the same world as Critical Role. Following a fresh-faced and freshly formed crew of characters, this adventure begins in Emon, a city still recovering from the scars of the Chroma Conclave attack...

Critical Role is launching a new 8-week D&D 5E campaign on June 24th called Exandria Unlimited.

ExandriaUnlimited_FullCast_ByHeirlumePhotography_72dpi_CR_01_800.jpg

"Exandria Unlimited is the newest eight episode mini-campaign brought to you by, and existing within, the same world as Critical Role. Following a fresh-faced and freshly formed crew of characters, this adventure begins in Emon, a city still recovering from the scars of the Chroma Conclave attack nearly 30 years later."

The show features Matt Mercer (as a player not DM), Aabria Iyenger (who will be the DM for this show), Aimee Carrero (who currently plays She-Ra), Robbie Daymond (voice of Marvel's animated Spider-man), Ashley Johnson (co-founder of Critical Role), and Liam O'Brien (also from the main Critical Role show).

I am so hyped for this!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The evidence being Laura saying she was cutting back on VO work and Ashley taking a management position for the charity?
Ashley taking a management position doesn’t indicate what you seem to think it does, at all.

Laura may have cut back to some degree, but her credits over the last year sure don’t indicate that. Who knows, maybe she meant to cut back, and has had a hard time saying no. We don’t know.

Either way, none of it suggest at all that either of them is less successful than Sam, or that they need CR to be a primary job. You’re literally talking about two of the most successful VO actors currently working.

silentdante

Explorer
all this back and forth and circling around comes down to the fact they all can work any other job and they just need to take 6 hours off a week to film a session and put it online. sure sam makes up the ad reads, but i dont think it's that hard for him. the way they all cry about their characters, what happens and praise Matt a huge amount tells me as a person who has watched them for what 6-7 years now is that i dont think any of them wants to give it up by a long shot.

i think the advent of pre-taping their games has really opened them up to be able to have a day job be it voice directing, voicing, producing, or other ventures like parenting and still be able to have their "family" time where they have an absolute blast playing together. i am no expert but i see what i see, and have always been a good judge of what people mean by how they act then just by what they may say.

im curious about this somewhat new relationship with elder scrolls. Im wondering if Bethesda is trying them out as a marketing tool or its on their own (did Laura have a connection based on her role as Serana)

jgsugden

Legend
Ashley taking a management position doesn’t indicate what you seem to think it does, at all.

Laura may have cut back to some degree, but her credits over the last year sure don’t indicate that. Who knows, maybe she meant to cut back, and has had a hard time saying no. We don’t know.
She is also a still fairly new parent, and parents (whether male or female) find themselves cutting back on a lot of things while they have young kids. I believe that is one reason she was not in EXU. As one of the fan favorites, and as a leader in the group (go listen to the descriptions of the first session and how she pushed them all into heavy RP with her devotion to it from the start - a trait that would have been helpful for a DM just getting to know new players for EXU) I would expect that she'd have been desirable from a commercial perspective. I also think there is a chance that she guest spots on EXU.

HOWEVER, I'd love to see where she said that she was cutting back to do CR as I did not hear it, and the vast amount of other work she has done does not align with her cutting back. I firmly believe CR has grown into a second day job for them instead of being their hobby - but they are doing a lot, not shifting their focus.

In response to others, while the CR crowd is highly respected, elite even, they are not the highest tier of voice folk out there in terms of compensation or opportunities. The high Bs, but not the A listers (yet). The truly recognizable star names are still the top. There are a number of Google available lists of top voice actors that are in pretty decent agreement on the top tier, and if you look at their credits you'll se the difference. I think a few of the CR cast will eventually be that top tier, but not all of them.

I think EXU will give some of them a 'break' from CR, and there is a chance that the reflection time away from the game will result in Sam realizing he is ok with walking away from the table a bit more often. I have no doubt he'll return with a grand entrance, but I would not be surprised to see him either miss the start of campaign 3, or pull a Scanlan and not bring in a PC to replace his campaign 3 PC. I could even see his PC being someone that works for a bad guy, betrays the PCs, and then only returns for the last half of the campaign as an enemy. Sam, as a business man, and as someone interested in making the story interesting and discussion worthy for fans, and as someone with so many time pressures, could easily decide that would be a good move.

MarkB

Legend
im curious about this somewhat new relationship with elder scrolls. Im wondering if Bethesda is trying them out as a marketing tool or its on their own (did Laura have a connection based on her role as Serana)
It's not that new. They've been sponsored by Bethesda before, plus they got permission to use some of the Elder Scrolls soundtracks as backing music for free ages ago.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
In response to others, while the CR crowd is highly respected, elite even, they are not the highest tier of voice folk out there in terms of compensation or opportunities. The high Bs, but not the A listers (yet). The truly recognizable star names are still the top. There are a number of Google available lists of top voice actors that are in pretty decent agreement on the top tier, and if you look at their credits you'll se the difference. I think a few of the CR cast will eventually be that top tier, but not all of them
I think it’s fair to say Sam is A list amongst VO directors at this point, and Laura, Ashley, and Travis are in the same tier as Tara Strong or Kevin Conroy, if not necessarily someone like Steve Blum. Although I’d bet more people know their names and who they are than is the case for Strong or Blum.

They’re top tier. Again, Ashley and Laura have played probably the most important video game female characters in the last decade, and Travis is Thor in animation and video games.

There being more prolific VO actors doesn’t change that.

Jaeger

That someone better
Critical Role is launching a new 8-week D&D 5E campaign on June 24th called Exandria Unlimited.

"Exandria Unlimited is the newest eight episode mini-campaign brought to you by, and existing within, the same world as Critical Role."

This must already be filmed.

Otherwise, how are they able to guarantee that a RPG campaign will end in a specific number of sessions...

Remove ads

Remove ads