Critter Bits and Magic Recipes!

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Kamikaze Midget said:
These are extremely useful for adding flavor to the magic items of a world...

which is exactly why i'm doing it. ;) 3E took a lot of this stuff out of the rules, and i know that a lot of people want to keep this stuff in. i was inspired to do this by an old school 1E player in the game i currently play, and he's always running around chopping bits off of monsters, hoping to use them in one way or another.

Wow....these gonna be compiled anywhere?

well... yes. :) if i don't lose heart or get bored, they will be on the Creature Catalog site sooner or later. after i gather up as much as i can find that has not yet been in 3E (hence, i don't need more recent stuff) and convert it to 3E standards (or list suggestions if i can't figure it out myself), i plan on putting it all into a large document, then posting it. :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
PS,

richards, i'm going to make sure to give credit as to where i got the information, so you will be credited as the source for information that came from articles you wrote. :)

Richards

Legend
Hey, cool, thanks Boz! Here are a couple more:

"The Ecology of the Darkmantle," Dragon #275, p. 99:
Darkmantle eyespots can replace bat's fur as a substitute material component for the arcane version of the darkness spell.
"The Ecology of the Purple Worm," Dragon #282, p. 93:
Purple worm blood is reddish, with a faint trace of purple to it. It is often used in the magical inks used to inscribe the arcane versions of bull's strength, endurance, and mass strength. (The latter spell is found on page 85 of Dragon #275.) Purple worm blood is also often used in the creation of manuals of bodily health.
p. 93:
When seriously injured, purple worms exude a chemical that warns others of their kind away from the area for weeks. Many Underdark civilizations, knowing of this "warning scent," harvest the appropriate glands from immature purple worms and douse it around the entranceways to their subterranean cities to keep purple worms at bay.
Johnathan

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hmm, not pre-3E... but since they're from Dragon's Ecology Of, and not likely to be reprinted elsewhere, i might as well take em :D

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
'tis ok :)

Edit: richards, i can take post-3e stuff from Dragon, but i don't think i'll be able to use anything from books that are still in print.

Last edited:

Remove ads