Blog (A5E) Crossing the Titan’s Garden

The exploration pillar is a large part of Level Up; Advanced 5th Edition. One aspect of this third of the game are our new journey rules. In this article, we’re going to walk you through a journey. https://www.levelup5e.com/news/lets-take-a-journey-1 COMING SOON! -- Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition! Level up your 5E game! This standalone advanced 5E tabletop RPG adds depth and diversity to the...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The exploration pillar is a large part of Level Up; Advanced 5th Edition. One aspect of this third of the game are our new journey rules. In this article, we’re going to walk you through a journey.

COMING SOON! -- Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition! Level up your 5E game! This standalone advanced 5E tabletop RPG adds depth and diversity to the game you love! Don't forget to click to get notified when the Kickstarter launches!

image3 copy.jpg

An earlier version of this article referred to the Region as ‘Deep Jungle’. The name of this Region ended as Tangled Forest in the core rulebook, and this article has been updated to match it.

dave2008

Legend
In common usage, jungle is a much looser term. They’re fine. The game doesn’t need to cater to people with degrees in geography, when deciding how to use the word jungle.
Actually, even the dictionary definition is more loose:

1. a. impenetrable thicket or tangled mass of tropical vegetation
b. a tract overgrown with thickets or masses of vegetation

2a(1): a confused or disordered mass of objects : JUMBLE
(2): something that baffles or frustrates by its tangled or complex character

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Actually, even the dictionary definition is more loose:

1. a. impenetrable thicket or tangled mass of tropical vegetation
b. a tract overgrown with thickets or masses of vegetation

2a(1): a confused or disordered mass of objects : JUMBLE
(2): something that baffles or frustrates by its tangled or complex character
Yeah the idea of getting pedantic about it is just super odd.

Caliburn101

Explorer
@doctorbadwolf - come on... how do you 'know' what Jungle means in 'common' parlance to most people - be honest, you just made that up, as you haven't done a survey to find out (I am quite certain if you had, there would be a link provided).

But I guarantee there are very, very few people who think it snows in the jungle, l or that a white furred Yeti and a Polar Bear would be an appropriate encounter, or a Killer Whale a normal thing in the Amazon River (the Amazon most certainly IS the most commonly named jungle when you ask 'common' people...).

Thus, it isn't fine (specifically or generally) using something which means one thing to mean another. If that was common practice, the rulebook would be very difficult reading.

... and in any case, they have changed it.

So we are all good.

Caliburn101

Explorer
Yeah the idea of getting pedantic about it is just super odd.
It is also a style of dance in the dictionary - so presumably there should be cavorting Bards as a possible encounter?

The key word you ignored was 'tropics'.

The key weather I mentioned was 'snow'.

Please tell me how often it snows in the tropics (or subtropics as you can find jungle there too) ands compare it to the original chart where it has a high chance.

That was the only thing I mentioned by way of correction - not that Jungle should not be an exploration feature.

It is you who are trying to build the strawman argument here, not I.

Anyway - they changed it, so you can stop trying to label people pedants for no reason...

doctorbadwolf

It is also a style of dance in the dictionary - so presumably there should be cavorting Bards as a possible encounter?

The key word you ignored was 'tropics'.

The key weather I mentioned was 'snow'.

Please tell me how often it snows in the tropics (or subtropics as you can find jungle there too) ands compare it to the original chart where it has a high chance.

That was the only thing I mentioned by way of correction - not that Jungle should not be an exploration feature.

It is you who are trying to build the strawman argument here, not I.

Anyway - they changed it, so you can stop trying to label people pedants for no reason...
Nah, you’re being extremely pedantic.

It literally doesn’t matter. 🤷‍♂️

doctorbadwolf

@doctorbadwolf - come on... how do you 'know' what Jungle means in 'common' parlance to most people - be honest, you just made that up, as you haven't done a survey to find out (I am quite certain if you had, there would be a link provided).
Oof. Common usage is not scientific. I don’t need to do a survey (😂😂😂) to know that most people don’t check a technical scientific definition before using the term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads