• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(CSDGH) Demon with a Glass Hand [IC]

pathfinderq1

First Post
As soon as Undine made her appearance, Suvarion realized that the fight was over- but the situation, it seemed, was far from resolved. The physical presence of one of the God-Kings was deeply unsettling, and Suvarion wondered idly if her mental wards could hedge out such a being. In the first few moments of the meeting, she moved to stand beside her new-found companions- almost but not quite _behind_ them. She listened intently as Undine told them of the item, and searched deeply within her own mind to see if any of the events or personages were known to her. At last, though, she spoke (and she was more than a bit pleased to hear that her voice wavered not a bit, despite the audience she addressed. "Is there anyplace that you might know where we could find out more about this thing? _Can_ it be broken, do you think?"

Shayuri

First Post
Shard is taken aback by the offer, but doesn't seem otherwise surprised by the stone. Indeed she's more curious than anything as she comes forward and reaches out for it, head slightly tilted and eyes distant, like one trying to listen to a quiet sound, or remember something long forgotten.

Psion

Adventurer
Haros shows the proper reverence. "Lady Undine, I am Haros, your humble servant, initiated of Claire but drinking of all the Virtues. It is my honor to take rest here, and I, at least, offer my services in whatever needs done to protect the city, the Virtues, and their people."

Creamsteak

Explorer
pathfinderq1 said:
At last, though, she spoke (and she was more than a bit pleased to hear that her voice wavered not a bit, despite the audience she addressed. "Is there anyplace that you might know where we could find out more about this thing? _Can_ it be broken, do you think?"

"There are many places burried beneath the sands where ancient sorcerer's and monsters still rest. The truth is that as much as I wish to revitalize this world, the world has long been attempting to seal away the monsters below. Even as we speak, the only other active virtue is Kareel, who does battle with just such a creature. He is attempting to put to rest a monster created of the old gods folley. If you like, I could point you in his direction."

"There was also a place that I've been to in my youth that may provide considerable insight into the events of the demon wars. This location was called the monolith of water, and is not too far from here. Even now that fragment of the demon wars can still be seen, just barely jutting out of the sands. Magic does not function normally within the walls, so great care must be taken. I can also provide you with the means to navigate there."

She now attempts to answer the question about destroying the hand.

"The item is rather powerful, and despite it's evil origins it might still have some use for good. If you do wish to be rid of it, simply leave it to the desert and it will be reclaimed in time."

She pauses briefly, then smiles while saying, "You will need to destroy it in the place it was forged! You will need to travel to Mount Doom and toss it into the fires of Mordor!" After seeing the stern scowls and disapproval from everyone around her Undine changes her tone. "Er... I'm sorry that was a joke. Maybe it's not that funny."

"More realistically, the item should eventually lose the last of its power. A disjunction would weaken the magic around the gauntlet, but the item will recover. Shattering the gauntlet should be fairly easy, a big man like my guard captain or Thalnil here can probably accomplish the deed with a sufficiently strong weapon. Note, however, that this is only the frame for the energy - not the soul itself."

"Destroying the frame would not destroy the demonic energy inside. It may stop Seto in his tracks, if he simply wants the item as a personal tool. However, imagine that trapped within every inch of the gauntlet is a living creature which must exert a great deal of force to breathe. With every breath, the prison chokes off most of the creature's strength, acting as a filter and limiting the amount of power drifting out into the world. The creature will breath until he no-longer has the strength to breath again. Then he will die. If you shatter the prison, the monster within will be able to breathe freely."

Undine makes her own recommendation, "If you are leary, shatter it or cast it to the winds or leave it here in this place and forget about it. This worlds fate is likely sealed. Enjoy what lives you have, and try to make yourself happy for as long as you can. Be mortal. Don't meddle in the affairs of those that have already chosen a single line of fate. Live freely and forget you were ever involved in the affairs of gods and demons."

"...or..."

"Take the hand and use it. It is of evil origin, certainly. However, the forces of righteousness are on their last leg. This world will be completely forsaken sooner than you can imagine if nothing is done. If more heroes do not rise to face the darkness, we will pass into the night. A weapon is a weapon, and the true enemy is all around us."

She smiles again, this time even wider than before. "I wonder how my words will land."

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Psion said:
Haros shows the proper reverence. "Lady Undine, I am Haros, your humble servant, initiated of Claire but drinking of all the Virtues. It is my honor to take rest here, and I, at least, offer my services in whatever needs done to protect the city, the Virtues, and their people."

"Yes, and you are clearly welcome here Haros. Know that you are free to use my city as much as you would be in my sister's home. Know that whatever services you offer, we will try to meet you in kind."

Creamsteak

Explorer
Shayuri said:
Shard is taken aback by the offer, but doesn't seem otherwise surprised by the stone. Indeed she's more curious than anything as she comes forward and reaches out for it, head slightly tilted and eyes distant, like one trying to listen to a quiet sound, or remember something long forgotten.

The crystal has a familiar magical aura, and a warmth that can be likened to sitting around a warm hearth on a cold night.

(There's also going to be a note for you in the OOC thread.)

Wrahn

First Post
Thalnil listens to his companions questions and the associated answers, surprised none of them wished to hear the voice of the hand. After consideration, the large man answers, "If hearing the demon's voice poses no danger, then yes, I would like to hear what we are dealing with."

"As for our actions, well I for one do not want to see this world fall, however, using objects of evil tend to come at a great price to the user and those around him or her, historically. If you are saying that in order to save with world, we will need to pay that price, then that is a mighty feat you put before us and a mighty price to pay as well. I am not given to abrupt decisions, particularly on such weighty matter, so I think what is best to do is consider it carefully and discuss it with my new fate-borne companions."

Creamsteak

Explorer
"What price are we each willing to pay for what we want? I'm afraid that I still have a bit of the Battle-Maiden's spirit in me. My path is set, however, so I will not dwell on it. You're wisdom surpasses your age Thalnil."

With that, Undine asks for the Gauntlet from Haros. She moves it to the urn location, and asks those that want to hear to stand in a circle around the urn. She puts both of her palms out, facing the gauntlet, and asks everyone to close their eyes.

(My attachment is a sound file for this "event." Feel free to listen to it, and tell me if you can't use it for any reason.)

Attachments

• Voice.zip
    630.5 KB · Views: 71

pathfinderq1

First Post
Suvarion carefully stood back, letting any who wished to do so to hear the thing's "voice". She stood in thought, considering what they had been told. Surely, they ought not to simply destroy the hand, even if they could- but to step forth and use its power was equally dangerous. This was not a decision to make in haste- perhaps they might find more answers at this "monolith of water" that was mentioned- once the others had done their part she could see what might lie ahead...

Shayuri

First Post
Shard joins the circle around the Urn, still toying with the crystal in her hand. She makes a squinchy face of concentration as she listens.

"It's all right," she tells anyone not listening. "She's not letting it do anything...but it's hard to understand. Something about 'ordered,' and 'kill them all...'"

She shrugs.

Remove ads