• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(CSRHoD) Creamsteak's Red Hand of Doom [IC]

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Pender, Male Human Fighter 7

"Happy to have such a fierce and capable warrior at my back, friend," laughs Pender. "Just remember to pull me back to the surface should some ill luck befall us below the waves."

With one last look at the shadow of the tower in the distant grey sky, Pender walks into the water.

Creamsteak

Explorer
The water is cold, though that's to be expected. Further complicating matters, visibility in as you descend into the mud quickly becomes very poor. The cloudy water and the dim sunlight above make the trek rather challenging. The city of Rhest, sunken below the blackfens, soon shows itself and provides a plethora of visual spectacles.

Plant and animal life have merged and overtaken the remnants of the city. While most of the smaller wooden structures have completely collapsed, the stone buildings still stand in various states of decay. Broken remnants of the city provide a teaming habitat for the creatures of the lake. Eels, bottom feeders, and all sorts of lake flora and fauna coat the buildings. Where there once were windows where a baker might have left his goods to cool, now the eyes of a dog-sized snail peer out into the streets, watching the party as they pass by.

Fifty years ago, the creatures here would have been the alien visitors out of place, but now it's your group that are invading upon these denizens. Schools of fish replace the busy human population, and the sound of voices have been replaced by the bubbles and current.

In a particularly dark hovel, a large collapsed building leans to the north. Under the rubble, it's clear that this building at one time housed a cellar, going a full 20 feet deeper into the earth. Now cakes with mud from years of settling dirt within the water, it looks almost completely converted back to nature. The mound of mud at first looks thicker in the center, looking almost like a massive underwater anthill with two stalks of strange almost translucent yellow rise from it. As the group passes by this particular building, the stalks vibrate slightly, as if reacting to some unusual current flowing past them.

A second later, the mound of dirt and mud shakes and rattles free, loosening a years silt laying over the creatures back. An enormous twelve foot long fish weighing hundreds of pounds slowly rolls its belly in circles loosening itself from it's sleeping place. The massive dire-catfish shakes itself off slowly at first, taking it's time and lethargically getting waking from it's deep sleep to see what's going on nearby. The lumbering giant fish with it's thick scaly hide and dusty eyes far too small for it's frame flaps its tail wildly as it finally wakes up, kicking a full storm of clay and silt up into the water. It lurches forward, bounding with a strange fish curiosity. It stares at the group, looking over the visitors that have come to play.

It first eyes Pender and Siobhan, their shiny appearance drawing it's attention. It then glances curiously at the crocodile and the halfling, not at all able to surmise what any of you are. The monstrous bottom-feeder doesn't seem to care much one way or another. If it'll fit in it's mouth, it's worth eating, and it has quite a mouth.

(actions/reactions)

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
Warren the halfling, HP 44/44, AC 25 (t 20, f 21), Island of Blades stance

Warren tenses, staring at the huge fish almost obscured by the muck and particles in the water. He hopes it doesn't try to eat him, but steels his nerves to maybe kill it first if it tries....

The halfling releases his right hand from Pender's shoulder, still holding on with his left, and draws his short sword, holding it ready. Then he motions a bit with the free arm to twist some shadows around, into a swirling vortex of shadowy blades that extends out for a few feet past Warren. The technique he's used before on land to make it harder for enemies to determine where he'll attack from.

[sblock=ooc]Warren draws his short sword and initiates the Island of Blades stance. As a piercing weapon, his short sword should be quite effective underwater, at least.

He readies an action to initiate Shadow Blade Technique against the giant fish, as soon as it gets within his 5-foot reach.[/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
Tyrla wasted little time- it seemed obvious that this massive creature could swallow her up with hardly a pause, and she had no intention of giving it an opportunity. Moving clumsily through the mud, she shifted so that Pender and Siobhan were between her and the fish. Then her eyes flashed with a momentary glint of arcane energy, and she raised one hand, gesturing almost lazily towards the huge fish.

OOC: Invoke Charm on the fishy, Will save DC 15; while it is listed as "language-dependent", I think that only applies if I try to instruct it- it should still regard me as its trusted ally (whatever that means to a fish). If it doesn't work, I don't think we're really any worse off than we would have been anyways.

Redclaw

First Post
Larian's eyes open in alarm as he sees the fish moving toward them. He had hoped to avoid conflict by moving underwater to the tower, but apparently they had just found a different sort of conflict.

Hoping that a swift and painful warning would encourage the creature to leave, he draws his less powerful wand and causes it to fire two globes of blue light.

[sblock=ooc] draw and use wand of magic missile, 2d4+2 damage[/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
OOC: Obviously, if Larian ends up going first, Tyrla will not bother with the Charm attempt. One of the downsides to being unable to talk/coordinate easily underwater...

Redclaw

First Post
OOC: and equally obviously, if Tyrla goes first and the charm attempt appears to be working, Larian won't trigger his wand. I just have little faith that the dire catfish will be susceptible to the effect.

pathfinderq1

First Post
OOC: It works as a Charm Monster, with HD or size restrictions, and I don't know what kind of willpower a fish has- so I figure it has a reasonable chance. Like I said, if it doesn't work, I don't think we're any worse off- and maybe Tyrla is on her way to becoming the local Aquaman stand-in.

Bront

The man with the probe
PbP Mod:

Gah! My bad in not catching this sooner. Please start a new thread. We have a 1000 post per thread limit at the moment. I'll leave this open so you can put a link to the new thread.

Thanks,
Bront

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Pender, Male Human Fighter 7

Wary, but not afraid (as the fish has not yet attacked), Pender draws his sword, just in case.

[sblock=OOC]Draw sword and ready an attack, to be triggered if the fish attacks and is in a threatened square at the time.[/sblock]

Remove ads