• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(CSRHoD) Creamsteak's Red Hand of Doom [IC]

Creamsteak

Explorer
The rest of the night passes without incident, though the storm soon starts to drench the already enriched swamp. Soon enough preparations are done, spells are prepared, and only the early morning fog, and a few hundred feet of water, are between you and the ruins of Rhest. The rain continues to pour at a brisk pace, with heavy drops that create a constant splashing symphony. The wind comes from the north-west, and is fairly intense, giving the storm something of an angle and potentially making certain ranged attacks difficult.

Redclaw

First Post
Larian wakes the others as the sun rises, then props his backpack and a few other items to form a small shelter for his spellbook so that he can study it without exposing it to the rain. He spends an hour studying the arcane writings held within the book as the others go through their morning routines and break camp. Finished, he stands and with a quietly spoken word and a gesture, he invokes his protective wards.

He looks around to his companions and smiles grimly. Today we face a great challenge. Together we can overcome it, but alone we are doomed. Let us all remember the importance of every individual, and work as a team.

[sblock=spells]Spells Memorized
0--Detect Magic, Detect Magic, Light, Mage Hand, Lesser Acid Orb
1-- Color Spray, Shocking Grasp, Protection from Evil, Magic Missile, Mage Armor, Enlarge Person (trans.)
2-- See Invisibility, Scorching Ray, Scorching Ray, Knock, Bull's Strength (trans.)
3--(with bonus) Mass Resist Energy, Fireball, Dispell Magic, Displacement, Haste (trans.)
4-- Greater Invisibility, Greater Invisibility, Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer (trans.)

Spells In Effect
Mage Armor--14 hours from breaking camp

Rod of Extend--2 uses left
Pearl of Power--Available

[/sblock]

Dalamar

Adventurer
"Do you think we need more than two hours? That's how long my prayer will allow the whole group to breathe underwater," Siobhan asks.

pathfinderq1

First Post
"If we can't make it across in two hours, I don't think we'll make it at all. As soon as we are ready, though, we should move- conditions are only going to get worse." Tyrla didn't sound enthusiastic, but her voice was firm. "Whatever happens, I am honored to have traveled and fought beside each of you- just in case we don't all make it through whatever is waiting."

Creamsteak

Explorer
Through the rain and fog, the group finds their way across the mud and bog to reach the edge of the lakes shore. The water level has risin somewhat, the earth having been fully saturated with what little extra water it could absorb. There's not much sound besides the rain, though the water seems to have summoned the insect life of the Blackfens. Misquitos, gnats, flies, and other small airborn creatures dance around the edge of the water. The insect life seems to have excited what predators are fond of such vermin, and all sorts of small lizards roam the grounds.

Occationally the jumping of swamp-native fish adds to the rain, and it's quite obvious that many of them are happily feeding on the abundant insects. Of course, the small fish that feed on the insects draw the larger more predatory fish from the depths. The waves of water are somewhat fierce. The wind from the north-west draws up a field of white-capped swamp water towards what settles for a shore.

In the distance, you can barely make out the very faint shadow of the bell tower sitting in the middle of the lake.

Arkhandus

First Post
Warren checks out the water and surroundings for a moment, then says warily "The water seems pretty choppy in this weather, and I'm only a decent swimmer. So I think I'll hang onto Pender's shoulders 'n' help push him along the lake-bottom, instead o' tryin' to swim across the whole thing with just these short li'l legs o' mine. Let's get those spells up an' start wadin' through to the belltower. Watch out fer piranhas, I guess. Dunno if they live in waters like these, but y'know..." The halfling secures his gear and puts his shortbow, strings, arrows, acid globes, and belt pouch into the Bag of Holding stored in his backpack. Then he walks over to stand behind Pender, and wait for the armored fellow to enter the water.

Redclaw

First Post
Larian smiles at Warren's attempts to hide his nerves. I don't think we'll see Piranha, but what does live here is likely worse. Those harrowblades are built for this setting, so be prepared, my friends.

He follows the others into the water, calmly accepting the cold caress of the waves.

Pinotage

Explorer
Avril - Human Druid (Crocodile) - AC 15 - hp 49/49 - Spot +13 - Listen +13

The storm pounded down on the lake, and Avril tried to see through the torrential rain but failed to spot anything through the mist and rain. It was probably a good thing. It would obscure their approach.

"The tower is not far," she said to Siobhan. "I think the time you mention should be more than sufficient. While as a crocodile I can hold my breath, I think if you include me in your spell, that would still be useful. Not sure if it's going to be any calmer down there than up here, but I can help those who struggle under the water. Crocodiles swim very well." She was thinking of Warren's words as she spoke, and realised that it was good thing they would have at least one good swimmer under the water.

Drawing forth her rod, she cast a protective spell on herself, before stowing it away and transforming into a large and rugged crocodile. She slipped into the shallow water, waiting for the others to join her in the approach to the tower. Despite being comfortable in the water, this was going to be a tough day.

[SBLOCK=OOC]OOC:

Spells and Abilities Active:

Wild Shape (Crocodile, 7 hours)
Extended Barkskin (140 minutes)

Spells Cast and Abilities/Items Used:

Wild Shape (1 Used)
Barkskin
Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend (1 Used)

Spells Prepared (Normal 6/4/3/2/1, Wis 0/1/1/1/0):

Level 0 (6): Cure Minor Wounds (3), Detect Magic (2), Guidance
Level 1 (5): Cure Light Wounds, Enrage Animal, Faerie Fire, Obscuring Mist, Produce Flame
Level 2 (4): Barkskin, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace
Level 3 (3): Call Lightning, Cure Moderate Wounds, Stone Shape
Level 4 (1): Flame Strike

Avril's Character Sheet
[/SBLOCK]

pathfinderq1

First Post
Tyrla gave a last careful look across to the belltower as she prepared to enter the water, sealing all her non-essential gear into her Haversack. "We'll have to make sure we move as quickly and directly as we can- we are at a definite disadvantage in the water. But we may as well get started..."

Dalamar

Adventurer
"May Kord be with us," the cleric says as she finishes the prayer. Entering the water, she takes a deep breath out of habit, but then lets the spell do its job.

[sblock=Spells]Cleric Spells Prepared (CL 7, +1 for Conjuration (Healing) spells)
4th - Mass Shield of Faith
3rd - Cure Serious Wounds (CL 8), Mass Lesser Vigor (CL 8)
2nd - Cure Moderate Wounds (2) (CL 8), Lesser Restoration (CL 8), Silence
1st - Bless, Cure Light Wounds (2) (CL 8), Divine Favor, Lesser Vigor (CL 8)
0th - Create Water, Cure Minor Wounds (2) (CL 7), Guidance, Light
Domains Metal, Strength
Domain Spells 4th - Rusting Grasp, Spell Immunity; 3rd - Keen Edge, Magic Vestment; 2nd - Bull's Strength, Heat Metal; 1st - Enlarge Person, Magic Weapon[/sblock]

Remove ads