• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(CSToA) Touch of the Abyss [IC]

Creamsteak

Explorer
Initiatives
31 Tesla
25 Mad Marquis
21 Errol
Jesme
Reukala
13 Slisik
12 Shadows

Tesla's lightning barrage destroys the adjacent shadow and deals the full 31 points of damage to the Hag even through her spell resistance. The electrical bolts sizzle her skin and cause her yellowed eyes to pop right out of their sockets in her final breath.

The Mad Marquis, somewhat beaten, but not entirely broken stands up from his throne, a strange glint of thought in his eyes. "Well done... well done... I'm afraid I'm not so certain why I'm here or who you are, sir, but you sure put that horrible hag down. Someone must have taken me hostage when I was asleep... and I assume you are the heroes my good wife hired to rescue me? She's such a woman, no chance in hell she'd answer to a ransom, even for me! That's why I married her! All woman, all the time."

(Somewhat out of combat unless someone chooses to continue acting in combat.)

Redclaw

First Post
Errol stands, ready to strike again if the opportunity arises. So, which side are you really on? You summoned the shadows, and called to the hag. Why then did you turn on her when she arrived? Why should we believe that are truly the Marquis, missing for so long?

Creamsteak

Explorer
"Side? What? I'm afraid I have a headache. Can this wait?"

He absentmindedly thumbs the dagger in his hand, then looks at it in disgust at the strange ectoplasm dripping from it's blade. "Yech!" His now-empty hands float to the back of his head where he finds a rather unusual puncture wound... well... a few of them.

"By the shield maiden, what have they done to me! These clothes, these injuries!"

The man falls to his knees. "Please! Let's get out of here! I'm deathly afraid of the dark!"

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Tesla & Arcs

For once, I am in agreement with the Marquis. Further investigation of the dungeon at this point will only lead to our certain death.” Gasps Tesla as she nearly collapse to the ground. Having reached the very limits of her psionic capabilities has left her mentally and physically drained. “Jeseme…” Rasps Telsa, “Search the Hag and the cell, see if there is anything you can find and then help Errol with the Marquis. Make sure he cannot cause any further trouble to us.” Using what little strength she has left, she slowly and painfully lifts herself of the ground and over to Slisik. “I will see what I can do for Slisik…

Uses her necklace to manifest Levitate on Slisik, so that Tesla can ‘float’ Slisik out of the dungeon and to someplace safe.

Tesla: -3 to Str, Dex, Con (HP: 16/28, PPS:1/44, AC: 23 (1 dex, 2 deflection, 11 Force Armor & Shield)
Arcs: (HP: 13/13, Energy Ray x0, Control Air x2, Demoralize x2 AC: 30 (3 dex, 5 Natural, 11 Force Armor & Shield, 1 size)

Creamsteak

Explorer
Jesme, in a bit of fear rasps, "I'll look. Hold on, don't leave without me. It's not THAT far back to the door."

At which point she begins her investigation...

Redclaw

First Post
Errol makes sure the marguis is unarmed and approaches him, kukri in one hand. Don't try anything. I'd rather bring you out alive, but if it's you or me, the marchioness will have to be happy with your corpse.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Jesme calls back, "Well, there's all these valuables obviously. Painting, throne, some of these things the crazy guy has. Not much we can salvage unless you strip the old man or want to haul this giant seat out of here. However... I was looking for any... well... more removable gems or something, in the throne. You know, stuff that wouldn't involve needing a horse to drag it out... and well... under the seat there's a lock. I undid it, something of a challenge, and well... no treasure. But um... you 'may' want to take a look at this first."

There are a number of papers hidden within the throne are in the goblins hands.

[sblock]Flocktime 14th, 586 CY: Liberation Day! Istivin is recaptured-
and without a fight! The enemy has left the city
empty and intact. They feared our might and fled before
we arrived. Yet strangely, the emptiness feels menacing,
as if we are not as alone as we think. Surely the mood of
war still hangs upon this place and will soon pass. Qualtaine
is once again upon its seat, this time the throne of a
marquis and not the lesser chair of an earl!
Fireseek 3rd, 588 CY: The city prospers once again. The last
of the occupied lands to the west should be reclaimed by spring.
Our army is blooded but stronger for it. Why then is this
foreboding upon me? Why do the people seem hesitant rather
than jubilant? A pall rests upon the city of my fathers.
Coldeven 28th, 588 CY: We are not alone! There is something
in Istivin. It is among us, in the very stones of the city,
I am sure of it, and I know not what power it possesses.
Some machination of the drow? I must not alert it to my
investigations. None are safe from its grasp. No one must
know what I have found until I have learned more, not even
my beloved Res. There are cries in the night.
Brewfest, 589 CY: Though it cost dear, I have a name for my
nemesis. It is the Malgoth. Galmoor's demon priest tied it
to this place before those foul giants withdrew. Darkness
falls like a veil in waking dreams. My eyes are caught by
the void. This demon priest, too, has a name. He is Ilkharis,
a frost giant worshiper of Kostchtchie. Somehow he imbedded
the Malgoth in my beloved home like a bloated tick
upon a host. The voices whisper near constant now. I am
the marquis; it requires a leader, someone to speak for it
to the people. I will die before it has me.[/sblock]
[sblock]Fireseek 18th or 20th, 590 CY: It is with me always now. The Malgoth won't
let me die. The knife slipped from nerveless hands as I laid it upon my wrist.
I fear there is no hope for me. Booming echoes silence the light. Shadow touches
shadow and passes through. Ilkharis is my only hope. He must be found. Surely he
can break the bond that he forged. I will send my finest knights to locate him.
Wealsun? 590: Dear Res... she doesn't understand. I am becoming more now.
One with the Dark Master is a prize, not a punishment. And she thinks me
unhinged. I shouldn't have killed the maid. They have given me the finest
cell for "my protection." Sparrows and hawks fall to the fox. I shall demand
a throne. A seat befitting my status.
Five 91!!!: The Dark Master tells many secrets. He whispers them long into
the night. I don't think the guards like my songs.
Fall, 591: The Malgoth is growing. Sometimes I can hear it in the stones. The
moments when I can think without that voice in my ear are fewer and far
between. Res and Verbane came. I ordered them to send my knights after the
frost giant. They think that part of my ravings, too. I don't blame them.
592-593?: Days pass when I don't even realize I am me. I can't hold it off forever.
It promises power...[/sblock]
[sblock]I think it is 594, the guards
spoke of Needfest celebration
some time back-
I fear it is almost over. A
darkness is in me, and I
can feel its energy. I can...
do things now. It does not
know I keep this journal.
I must stop writing in it,
hide it, and hope that what
I become never finds it. I
can feel it blooming. These
shall be my last words as a
man. Darling Res, the ring
you brought me shall be my
salvation. I can use it to
escape this body with these
new gifts, to hide in the
body of one of the guards,
and then if I can only maintain
myself I can use him
to warn you. I don't know
if I can hold on once I imbue
the magic jar, but to sleep
here with the dreams but
one more night is worse. If I
can just get outside the city
perhaps I can escape it. If
not, perhaps the blade of
a watchman's sword can
provide release of another
sort. Forgive me Res, I
should have told you.[/sblock]

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Tesla & Arcs

"Pages from the Marquis Diary now doubt." Mentions Tesla as she reads over the pages. After reading them over she carefully places them into the folds of her cloak and motions towards the group. "Take only what you can carry and remain moble. We can come back later when we are rested." With that she and Arcs take the Slisik's hovering body and begin to make their way out of the Dungeon.

OOC: Do we want to go back to the Palace or go somewhere else to heal up?

Creamsteak

Explorer
With Slisik, the Marquis, Jesme, Errol, and Tesla, you fall back to the stairway that brought you down to the deeper dungeons. From there you ascend into the trapped level, crossing past the hedgehog's dilemma and then heading south through the chamber with the glowing skulls and through the final mechanized locked door.

Remove ads