(CSToA) Touch of the Abyss [IC]

Creamsteak

Explorer
"Hah! I'm sorry, but I have a severe headache. I'm afraid that you're not the only one that needs some rest. I spent the last six years in the deeper dungeons of Krellont Keep, and I had full well intended to live to the end of my life there, until you showed up. That you brought me out and didn't kill me is questionable at best."

The Marquis takes a seat at the large oval table and sits back. One of the clerics comes to inspect him, asking a series of inquiries while the Marquis talks.

"As you most likely suspect, I am not quite myself. Something that sleeps in the depths of Istivin. It calls itself the Malgoth... the dark master. Your attack has briefly caused it to relinquish its slimy grasp. I'm uncertain if it was your attacks on its servants, or this lobotomy, but either way I have a momentary breath of freedom. I don't doubt that the Malgoth will take me back in time, if he hasn't found a more suitable servant..."

"The Marchioness came to visit me, despite my state, numerous times over the years. On a visit last month, the Malgoth felt particularly bold and used the hag Reukala to capture her. I'm not entirely certain what the Malgoth's intent was. Since you killed the hag, I'm not quite certain where to start."

"So as I'm you can tell, I've got quite a few heady concerns at the moment. I thank you all, obviously, for the temporary respite from my situation. If you have any questions... I'm famished... someone bring me something to eat!"

Redclaw

First Post
The Marchioness was captured last month? So who hired us to explore the deeper dungeons and search for any sign of your continued existence? And while we're on the subject, what will happen to the marchioness now that you've escaped? Errol asks, thoroughly confused.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Redclaw said:
The Marchioness was captured last month? So who hired us to explore the deeper dungeons and search for any sign of your continued existence? And while we're on the subject, what will happen to the marchioness now that you've escaped? Errol asks, thoroughly confused.

"Emondav hired you? What exactly do you mean by that? How would she have done that?"

Redclaw

First Post
Well, I can't exactly say it was here. There were a number of them, nine I think, in different colored gowns, complete with full veils. They took turns speaking, supposedly to protect the actual marchioness form potential assasins.

Creamsteak

Explorer
"I believe you should direct your questions at Verbane then. I have no idea. I did see Emondav, just over a month ago, in the deeper dungeon when she came to visit. My desire for companionship and the desires of the Malgoth conspired to keep her there... though I was not entirely myself at the time. I'm not aware what the Malgoth wanted with her..."

Dekana

Explorer
"Perhaps the Emondav that hired us is an imposter then? I ssugest the Marquis be careful less this infiltrator plants a dagger in his back during the night. In fact, if he needs the fake Emondav killed, there is a perfectly good band of dragonslayers available for hire" Slisik says rather transparently. He then says quietly to his party, "I'm going to talk with Verbane about this."

Slisik leaves the company of the others and proceeds up the eastern staircase in search of the arch-mage. As he walks, he recalls the words of one of the 'Emondavs': "Should you choose to turn your back on the Marchioness at some point in the future, we will simply cause the spells to trigger with the appropriate command word. What will it do? Let's hope you never find out. And should you complete your task, I will have the chancellor remove the spell."

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Tesla & Arcs

"Just so that we are all on the same page. A few days ago we struck an accord by the supposed Queen Emondav to go into the deeper dungeons of this keep to find her missing husband who was not missing but possessed by a dark entity known as Malgoth and was jailed in the deeper dungeons by none other than the Queen herself. Now Queen Emondav is missing, apparently for sometime now, supposedly taken by this Malgoth to a place and for reasons unknown. The Kingdom now has its King back but no one knows for how long. Now we are being asked to track down and save the Queen and then save Istivin from this Malgoth. Does that about sum things up?

OOC: Cream, IAW Psionic Handbook, Telsa’s ability burn cannot be healed by any magical/psionic means. Only natural healing can bring back ability points drained from ability burn. So she would still be drained three from Str, Dex & Con. Though feel free to wave this requirement, you will hear no complaints from me :D

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Reaching Verbane's quarters is no small task. His laboratory is located in the very highest point in all of Istivin, from which he can look down upon the city, or if one wishes, out beyond the cities walls. Further complicating matters, the path there is something of a maze, with multiple different stairwells and turns before reaching the spiral staircase leading up to his domicile.

Once there, an imposing wooden door bronze gargoyle with a knocking ring through it's nose greets Slisik. After knocking on the device briefly, the thin and angry seeming gentleman who called himself the archmage of Istivin answers.

"What, pray tell, do you want?"

Meanwhile in the courtroom, Tesla deposits his thoughts verbally and allows them to drift through the air for all to hear. The marquis, still slouching in his large comfortable chair is the only one actively interested.

"Queen and King are not accurate. Istivin isn't a capital anymore. The nation of Sterich is no more, and my family was never nobility of that status. We were the caretakers of this city and this province, for years, before the giants invaded. I'm afraid that I'm not certain who asked you to find me... or what they expected you to do. I would think Verbane or Frush O'Suggill have stepped up in my absense, with Emondav gone as well. For what it's worth, I'd pay a king's ransom if you think you can actually find Emondav. I'm afraid, however, that the truth of the matter may be quite dire..."

Redclaw

First Post
Errol cracks his neck loudly and then looks at the Marquis, That's what they said about finding you, my lord. I make no promises, and cannot commit without word from my companions, but I would be willing to investigate further. Is there anything you can remember about the dungeons that might assist us?

Remove ads