• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(CSToA) Touch of the Abyss [IC]

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Tesla & Arcs

Before heading outside, Tesla takes Slisik's cloak and draps it over the Marquis head. "It would be best for all of us that the populace of this great city did not see thier grand Marquis being draged through the streets by a beat up group of mixed raced adventures." States Telsa. Once out of the dungeons Telsa motions for the group to head back towards the palace.

OOC: Thoughts, ideas?

Redclaw

First Post
A wise move, Tesla. Let us keep our success quiet for now, and give the Marchioness the chance to be the first to know of it. That way, if we are wrong only she will know about it. Errol fully agrees with the plan, including heading straight to the palace.

Dekana

Explorer
Gods, I hope the Marchioness has a powerful cleric at her call. It will take me weeks to recover by my own magic. Slisik agrees with Tesla's plan but isn't in any condition to signal his approval.

Creamsteak

Explorer
During the groups transition across the city, they come under notice of one of the town guards. He's roughly twice the size of most of them, and fairly recognizable. "What's this then? Did the Snake-man, or is it man-snake, pass out from overdrinking?"

The hulking guard makes sure to lift his helmet just a little such that the dim moonlight reaches his eyes enough to make out the appearances of the group. "I coulda sworn you had another woman with you, not a goblin and a begger. What happened? Did a dragon split her in half and transform the parts into these two? Figures."

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Tesla & Arcs

Ah. The keen powers of observation are displayed once again by the fine guards of this great and noble city. Yes you are quite right. Our fourth companion is not with us, in fact we are on our way to meet her. Now if you would excuse us.” Replies Tesla as she motions for Errol to take the lead back to the palace.

Redclaw

First Post
Errol nods and waves at the guardsmen, then tries to subtly stay between him and the marquis. Women, we spend half our lives running around looking for them, don't we? He chuckles, hoping to distract the man.

Creamsteak

Explorer
"Hrmm... well then. If that's how it's going to be, then that's how it's going to be. I hope you find what you're looking for. It's getting late rather quickly this evening."

The burly and bearded man continues off, taking a sharp right and heading down 'half-a-chicken' way.

It takes some time, but eventually you find your group ushered into the mansion of the Marchioness, and then pushed forward into the grand room from your earlier visit. You are greated by an unfamiliar face, however.

attachment.php

"Well... this is a surprise. What brings you all here so swiftly? I am the arch-mage Verbane, highest councilor of the Marchioness of Istivin. There's no need for you to introduce yourselves, I happen to be fully aware of who you are."

Attachments

• Untitled0.jpg
    Untitled0.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 114

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Tesla & Arcs

If you know who we are, then you also know why we are here. Seriously Mage. Why does your kind always insist on asking questions for which you already know the answers. Now, why don’t you be useful for a change and go fetch the Marchioness.” Spits Tesla. Her distaste for arcane users is quite evident in her degrading tone towards the so called Arch Mage.

Creamsteak

Explorer
"The marchioness is currently away. I'm afraid that all I have is her fine array of substitutes, but I'm afraid that their words would not be particularly useful here."

The Mad Marquis speaks up suddenly, "Of course she isn't here. She hasn't been here for some time, has she, Verbane?"

The supposed arch-mage seems surprised. His wry smile turns to a bit of shock. "Querchard!" The advisor looks at the tatters of the once regal marquis and seems disturbed. "So then, you return. And what has happened to your madness? Are you still as deranged and feral as when you left us? And what, exactly, did you do with Emondav?"

Querchard replies, "I'm afraid the madness may have left me to die. I can still hear the voice, but it's much weaker than it has been in years now. You can thank these heroes for driving off the Malgoth, if only briefly. I fear now for Emondav's life. While I can still think clearly, fetch Molthian, Rhist, and Colby from their quarters. These travelers have been beaten down to their last reserves."

Verbane makes a few hand gestures towards unseen servants. He then continues...

"I'm afraid my plans are foiled here. I must admit, I had hoped to find you dead. There is also the terrible problem that you may still be under the influence of whatever was inside of you. I'm afraid I'm going to have to make a request."

"The answer is no, Verbane."

The arch mages slight composure turns to red anger. His face swells up like a balloon. The frustrated Verbane then turns his back towards the group, not wanting to look anyone in the eyes. He starts marching off up the eastern staircase towards the anterior rooms.

After a few more minutes, the men called for earlier arrive. Molthian, Lady Rhist, and Colby are all clerics of Istivin. They, also, recognize the Mad Marquis as Marquis Querchard. Further, they take the time to cast numerous spells and offer potions to aid the party.

(Everyone recovers 4 points of Strength Damage, except Slisik, who recovers 12.)

Once that's settled, the Mad Marquis looks at you. "You have my thanks, strangers, but I'm afraid this is only the beginning of my problems."

Dekana

Explorer
Slisik twitches slightly when the healing spell is cast on him then slowly sits up. "You have my thanks, cleric" he says with uncharacteristic politeness. "And to the others of course for carrying me out of the dungeon."

"Tell us, Marquis, what is this problem you speak of? ... And hopefully it's something we can put off solving until we've all had some rest."

Last edited:

Remove ads