D&D 5E Cubicle 7 Presents: Vault 5E-Unchartered Journeys

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sounds like it’s a similar book to Level Up’s Trials & Treasure which has journey rules they say were inspired by The One Ring. Two awesome books which expand the exploration pillar. Win win!
Bizarre coincidence — that book was almost called Uncharted Journeys. It was on the short list of names!

John Lloyd1

Explorer
Currentyl no, but its something we may look at in its own book. Sea (and astral sea) travel, building and crewing your own ships, all that good stuff.
This is a hard choice for me. I'm thinking the journey mechanic would be good for Goodman Games' Into the Borderlands (i.e. finding the caves of chaos) and the journey to the Isle of Dread (if it included sea travel).

But, the place I DM is about to move to Adventurer's League and I won't have a chance to use it soon. It isn't a cheap booklet I could justifying buying anyway.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This is a hard choice for me. I'm thinking the journey mechanic would be good for Goodman Games' Into the Borderlands (i.e. finding the caves of chaos) and the journey to the Isle of Dread (if it included sea travel).
The Isle of Dread is about the size of Great Britain (which feels way too big to me, but whatever), while the Borderlands are actually shockingly small.

How small a scale does the journey system work at?

John Lloyd1

Explorer
The Isle of Dread is about the size of Great Britain (which feels way too big to me, but whatever), while the Borderlands are actually shockingly small.

How small a scale does the journey system work at?

The journey to isle of dread takes about 2 weeks from memory. It was that bit I was thinking of. Not the hex crawl on the isle.

It is only a days travel to the caves of chaos, but you need to find it first. I've never played that bit out as written, but it would take quite a few days. There are a few encounters you are able to find like the mad hermit. Once you find the caves, it is much more of a afternoon stroll.

Remove ads